1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Cincy
    Ouch...a lot of Bad reviews...Newegg reviews do not mean a lot...you do not even have to buy the product...to post a review...Corsair is usually very good and dependable...could be some idiot...could be a bad batch...

If the review worry you...then Go with the Crucial...$99 with FREE SHIPPING...Lately I have been using Crucial exclusively...so...I do not know what to say about all those recent...Bad Corsair reviews in Newegg...

theonejrs just tested some Crucial PC-8500 in his new GA-P35 rig...he was impressed enough to order some for himself...

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

All I've used so far in my builds is Crucial. They can withstand amazing amounts of voltage, and are GREAT overclockers. I have taken CAS5 6400 sticks to PC-8500+ speeds.

EDIT: I also updated my sig.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, the Armor is a Thermaltake case, not Thermalright. Also the Corsair VX is 550, not 5500!

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOLZ.......

Update it again as sammorris pointed out some errors.......hehehe. :p

OK I've been looking at a case "change" in a soon to be build. What about these cases? And any 'educated' input is appreciated. ;)

RAIDMAX KATANA ATX-729WB

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS

These were the only ones that really met what I was looking for, if you people see any out there that are similar please direct/link me to them. tia...

What about the differences between the VA8003BWS and the VA8000BWS? They both will accommodate an ATX mobo right? again tia....

...gm

@herrick,
    Don't you have a similar Thermaltake case?? If so your input would be appreciated. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

C'mon guys go easy on me. I was very tired lol.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Heh the raidmax kinda loks like my case. My new case is coming in tommrow, so I'll give you my first impressions soon.

Also if you want the 25cm fan get the one with the fan. If you don't want one now, you can always buy the side panel with the fan installed.

Man that case is 42 lbs!

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ugh?? Is the Raidmax a POS?? Don't know much about them except to stay away from their P/S... ;) I don't like the fact that you loose at least 3 5.25 bays with the HDD configuration. ;(

NICE find on the Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK sammorris. I like that case. :)

If you can't tell I'm looking at something that will hold MORE than 5 ODD's. I have a small collection going and don't want to build another computer to hold the silly things. Hobby I guess but I can't help myself when it comes to seeing an ODD on sale for less than $30, shipping included.... lol

....gm

edit:
    Little better price on the CM Stacker STC-T01... link

9. pernal

pernal Regular member

@greensman

The CoolerMaster Stacker is a good case if you want a server. My cousin in Houston has one with 3.5 TB.

I went cheap on my last case; It's a painted case that looks like Tiger Maple. Here is something similar to it: http://www.directron.com/csartsb75.html I wish it was the same price as mine $10 (Vicky special at Directron). My cousin has a computer business in Houston and sometimes you get a steal.

Burn On,
    Russell

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Raidmax are cheap and nasty the vast majority of the time. I don't much care for their cases either, but that's styling, not necessarily build quality or performance.
    As for the Stacker, they have an IT admin office retro to them. They look like they hold beef amounts of storage, and as pernal points out, they often do.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

you can't go wrong with this case COOLER MASTER RC-830-KKN2-GP BLACK STACKER 830 EVO ALUMINUM FULL TOWER ATX & BTX CASE

if I was doing a new build, that is what I would go with. excelent price too. no question this is the best case of those listed.

this is also a nice case. COOLER MASTER RC-632-KWN1-GP BLACK MYSTIQUE ALUMINUM MID TOWER ATX CASE W/ WINDOW it's also available in silver with or without window and they also make the same design in aluminum/SECC. I personally have the all aluminum silver version w/o the window and really like it. truely tooless design and great ventilation. also no drive bay doors in the way.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm personally not a great fan of the later Stackers' looks, and I think there are some cutbacks made since the original (although I forget what).

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I just got all my parts except the Case, vidoe card and PSU. A day ahead of schedule lol!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Be sure to post some benches when it's up and running. I want to see what a cost-effective high end build can do these days.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Aye, Aye cap'n.

P.S. The PC cost me a little less than 850, if you were wondering.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NICE. You've really pulled a big upgrade out of less than 50 dollars!
    That's an incredible value PC. At today's current exchange rate, that works out at around £410. PCs for that money might typically have X2 4200+, 2GB of PC5400 and integrated graphics, or an 8500GT at best.

17. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I may buy parts from USA.........:p

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sure go ahead, but if you live in the UK prepare to pay 17.5% VAT and 40% import tax.
    Doesn't seem such a good deal any more does it?
    It's those very reasons why we pay so much in the first place. The components that get shipped here to start with are the only ones that are decent value (note that the Corsair power supplies and the Arctic cooling heatsinks are about equal cost with the exchange rate considered)

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the "links" to the full tower cases guys. That gives me more to look at and actually I have to make a decision now. ;)

Gotta post this for the "YANKS".....lol. That makes me laugh!!! :p

link to Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) It's case 5, but hey it's definitely CHEAP!!!

...gm

edit: fix link.....

edit 2: add image for savings "code"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  20. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I think Sam has that same RAM. I will be getting the same RAM for my build in UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.