1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

here's the cpu I plan on getting:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115031

Is it necessary for me to get a heatsink/fan for it? I don't plan on overclocking this system (at least not to start with) because it won't be for me, rather for my little sister. She doesn't plan on doing anything too hardcore with this system, so I probably won't even need to overclock it.

And, if I do decide to forgo such a purchase, could I buy one later and just stick it on with no problems?

EDIT:
    One more question. Do I need to buy some kind of thermal compound to go along with my cpu, or is that not necessary? Maybe it's only needed when you're not using the stock cpu fan?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't think you'll need an after market hsf but I would look at one if you plan to do ANY OC'ing. ;) link to 2 I like

Get some of this........ for your hsf and cpu. ;)

.....gm

3. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

but I only need the thermal compound if I'm applying an aftermarket hsf, right?

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

No...You need some kind of thermal compound between CPU & Cooler to fill in the invisible imperfections...and transfer the heat from the CPU to the Cooler...No Matter What CPU Cooler you use...Most Aftermarket CPU Coolers will provide some...if not get Artic Silver 5...$5.99 Free Shipping...
    http://www.svc.com/as5-3g.html?gclid=CMiF86OdmJACFQU6awodxgN_8Q

5. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

i'm confused. just to clarify, if I were to get a cpu, and i don't plan on buying an aftermarket hsf, and only plan on using the stock cpu fan that comes with the cpu, I still need to buy thermal compound?

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The stock cooler will come with a really inefficient paste...that you are better off not using...most good after market coolers will come with a good...silver based compound...

7. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

alright thanks. I might as well spend that relatively small amount for some of that arctic stuff I guess.

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  9. REAM

REAM Guest

the stock HSF and TP are fine. infact they are more than adequent for no overclocking.

hell, even for Ocing, you can get an E2180 to 3+GHz and it will be stable with othros and prime95 for a long time, and will remain cool. maybe that is just the E21X0 series, btu it is a good HSF, not for Q6X00, but other than that it is a good HSf, or it wouldnot be supplied.

10. REAM

REAM Guest

aswell as AS5, i would also recomend MX1 TP, the one that is used on the superbly cheap and good Acrtic Cooler pro 7.

11. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Yip

12. REAM

REAM Guest

NO!

the HSF that intel provide already has TP ont he bottom of the HSF. you will not need extra TP

13. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Wouldn't it be wiser to clean it off and stick some Arctic Silver 5 on?

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Most people out for performance do. If OC'ing is in mind it is recommended. If it is just a regular build, its not absolutely necessary but will still drop your temps a few C° and cooler is better.

15. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

I always take the their TP off, mainly because they do not apply it properly....they just goob it on, and too much TP defeats the purpose.

16. REAM

REAM Guest

not always. as i have said, the intel stock TP if fine. millions of computers around the world, are using it w.o any glitch. most PC makers, eg dell, packard bell, HP, all use the intel stock HSF and TP, unless they make an extreme system.

YES, if he was OCing, it would be better, but as he is not, what is the point for the hassle?

and AS5, can, if you cannot properly apply TP, be conductive, so could take out his CPU/mobo. if he does want to us some TP, use creme, or a non metal bases one.

17. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

But millions of people do not know any better. Taking off their TP and applying AS5 will guarantee lower your temps. Lower temps will prolong the life of components.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

He_Man: Believe it or not there are only a handful of companies that make PSUs, most of them are outsourced. OCZ units are all made by FSP. Corsair and PC Power & cooling units are made by Seasonic, Antec units are made by Channelwell. Ultra units have been made by various companies (none of them very good, I have to say)
    Lp: I believe the safety valve probably will be killed off, it fits the swift change of aD's no BS policy. Whilst it's useful for keeping cretinous behaviour out of the forums, barring all conversation not slightly related to the website's purpose seems a little brash. Unfortunately, that's the path aD's been following for a long time.
    Greensman: The VX 550W is essentially Corsair's budget model power supply. It's not modular and uses a single-rail design, but for reasons unknown it uses one of the useless plastic fan-baffles inside, which means under reasonable load it will be as loud as the best of power supplies. Unfortunate really since the HX series is one of the quietest PSUs you can buy.
    Abuzar: Which DVD drive did you buy?
    Jtan: You need thermal compound between an aftermarket heatsink and the CPU. The CPU cooler that comes with the CPU will have a pre-applied thermal pad on it. If you then change to an aftermarket cooler, you will need to remove the remnants of said thermal pad. You will need a CPU cooler of some kind though, don't just expect to go without!
    I disagree with Lp's sentiment about the stock pad. It suffices for most users. It is, however, far better to use proper thermal grease if you can.
    You can remove thermal pads using alcohol-based cleaners. I used window&glass cleaner to great effect. Of course if you're serious you could buy some ArctiClean stuff I suppose.
    As for me though, you will do fine sticking to the pre-applied pad if you don't want the hassle, they cool perfectly well enough, and never raise your CPU temp to the point where its lifespan will drop.

19. REAM

REAM Guest

and nor do they need to know better. it is not liek anyone will keep a PSU for more than 5 years. nearly all CPUs are rated to run ALOT longer than this when on the Intel reference HSF and thermal paste.

yes AS5 will lower the temps, i did not deny that, but for a computer where no intensive work will be done, its not liek the temps will be high in the first place. just becuase we are enthusiats that will not be happy untill everything is custiom, doesnt mean reference, avergae joe, parts are crap. infact they are good.

the average joe (aka millions of people world wide) upgrade computers once every 3-5 years. so there will be nothing wrong with the Intel HSF and TP for that time period. if there was a problem, most PC retailers would never sell their computers with the Intel HSF and TP.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For reference, after "upgrading" my stock heatsink for an old Athlon XP 3000+ to an Arctic cooling one, which came with thermal grease, my temperatures actually went up. I had to get some better thermal grease to get my temps back to how they were. Stick with the stock cooler unless you're overclocking, seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.