1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

If you don't believe me...buy it...but don't say I did not tell you so...when you can-not add video card to motherboard...

2. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

it has a pci express 8x . I'm sorry but what is a video card is that the graphics card don't understand all computer jargon but I'm leaning. thanks for all the response so far.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. taz1974

taz1974 Member

lp531,

i found some more boards from tiger. what do you think about these...

1 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2219333&CatId=2320

2 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2768821&CatId=2320

3 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2749266&CatId=0

4 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2244194&CatId=0

5 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2605945&CatId=0

6 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2605946&CatId=2414

7 http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=K9N_NEO-F-DT&cpc=SCH (not sure about this site. i bought a case from them and was so dissapointed with it.)

8 http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=320

9 http://www.jncs.com/php/sys/index.php?id=bun-as-m2n-sli-deluxe ( this website sells everything together. motherboard, cpu, and memory and is all installed and tested.(so it says) take a look at this and see what you think about anymotherboards and amd dual core bundles put together. if this looks like a good way to go then ill go that route.) just match up things. i want it to be sli ready.

its kinda hard to find a board that has everything your looking for. like 3 or 4 pci slots and more than one ide header and all kinds of other stuff. but im still looking. i guess if i have to shop out of tiger and newegg i will. ok. im still looking. let me know what you think.

taz1974

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

first point, the 1600 was aimed as a midrange card for gaming, it was stomped all over by the 7600. you said yourself that you used yours mainly for watching vids, a 1300/7300 would of done that perfectly for you and cost even less. now if it was a competant card for its market it would not of needed an update, hence the reason there is no 7650.

now with the others you bring into this, these were at the time of their release highend products and as so they needed to be the best. this is why they release a newwer model every few months that says "mine is bigger than yours" to the competition. now if someone asked for the best mid to highend model with price in mind, you wouldn't point them to a 1900xt when the 1950xt is so much better and not much more in price. in fact with the price at the min i think the bang per buck you get from the 1950xt is almost unbelivable.

@taz

of the mobos you have posted the best 2 imo are the black and white foxconn and the abit an9 32x, i would also consider the msi k9 diamond .if you want the best its the asus crosshair. compare the specs for an idea of the things you want to get on yours.

dont get a nf570 if you want to oc it tho as these dont that well.

edit to add links

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@marsey99
    I have not recommended any board's to taz1974 yet...just going thru what he was looking at...the Foxconn only has 1 IDE...and only 2PCI...he was wanting more drives...the abit is a Micro ATX board...

I don't know if he is wanting to OC...so not factoring that in...thats why I am not as concerned with MB chipset just yet...

He did want upgradability...and to be as future proof as possible...The boards he was looking at were SLI...thats why I was recommending nvidia to him...

I know if your running AMD...you are better off with ATI...and or Crossfire...
    If your running Intell...you are better of with nvidea...and or SLI

However he wants AMD and SLI...

Will look at the ASUS...thanks for input...any recommendation are welcome...not familiar with best AMD and SLI combination...

and the 1950XT is the best bang for your buck in ATI...right now

Thanks for the help...

@mort81 & hoddey
    yes you can install a PCI video card...but not much point...no real gain over onboard video...the factoty box he is looking at is no great deal...and not upgradeable...he can do better...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

all fair points i just thought i would offer my opinion on the ones he has looked at and add 2 of the best you can get.

you can get 2 dvd drives on to that ide, how many do you need?

same with the pci, how many do you need? i only use one of mine for my x-fi.

to be as future proof as pos you want to buy the best available at the time, as high end models give the best performance, and that will show, or show less over time, if you get my meaning. now add to that you can then overclock when you need that bit more power, it makes sense to buy right, not buy twice.

now with the chipset/cpu combos. although amd now own ati that doesnt mean that its the best combo right now. same as intel nvidia has only just (last 4 weeks) become the best combo, now this is only because the conroe rules the roost now, if the amd chips were the highend then they would of got the nf600's first. as it was ati that helped intel with the dev on the conroes and before xmas they were the mobos to have for them. this will probably change this year but only time will tell on this. for me right now the best are nforce boards for both chips, 590s for amd and 680s for intel. the ati chip sets imo are only for those who have to have xfire. me i dont think that the performance gains from sli/xfire are worth the costs in money, psu drainage or heat generated in my case, but hey thats just me.

@hoddy
    can you post another link to that box as i havent seem many mobos with 4 dimm slots that doesnt have a graphics slot of some description. most lowend, onboard only soloutions only have 2 dimms.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree and let me clarify by saying I'm not bragging up the X1600 pro. The only reason I went with it on my old pc is because at the time newegg had it on sale and nothing else comparable to it's performance was anywhere close to the sale price on that one. It suited my needs fine and the price was right. Anything was better than the FX5200 I had before.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

could you say what the job is.

if its playing fear or oblivion then no it wont, if its watching vid and playing bedazzled it will be magic.

1 thing to point out.

it needs a 300w psu and 20amps on the 12v line (it says this info on a sticker on your psu, normaly the side) if its less than 20amps it may cause crashes.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

The job is video and simple games, I have a pS2 and GameCube for games so I don't normally tie up the puter with games. The kids stay OFF the puters. lol. They're only 6 & 4 so no need to let them near a computer yet, at least for gaming. lol. My PSU is an Aspire 520w. Hope this will suffice. Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is a link to my PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008

.........c

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  13. MadMikeXP

MadMikeXP Member

Which of these mobo should I go with ? I had a friend of mine test my 1.8ghz celeron and 2.4ghz celeron processors and he said both are in good working order. my price limit for the mobo is $35 right now and after a few days I'll get the memory.

If I can get a good mobo to post and work correctly then I can finally give up on my old P3 751 pc.

thanks for any help.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MSI-P4MAM-V-SCK...1QQihZ003QQcategoryZ80161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECS-PM800-M7-v3...9QQihZ002QQcategoryZ80158QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are my best choices for right now.

14. taz1974

taz1974 Member

hey guys,

well im not into the overclocking as of yet. i dont know how to yet. so ill leave that factored out for now. as for the drives i will only have a dvd burner, dvd rom, a floppy drive, and a hard drive. but the hard drive is going to be sata so im good that route. i do want the sli so that if i want to upgrade to it later on i can. as for now no i will not be doing that. maybe next year i will. this computer build will have to last me for quit awhile. so of coarse i want something that will be upgradable for the future. i guess im just so picky about want it want. but then again i really dont know what i want. this is after all my very first build.

so i know i want an amd (am2) dual core 4200 cpu, a good video card for games like cod2 (which lp531 has helped me pick out), good memory that is compatible with my motherboard and everything else that is sli(which i also have picked out thanks to lp531).

so im just undecided about the motherboard. i had one picked out but tiger no longer sells it. and newegg had a lot of bad reviews on it. so i figured ill just pick another one out. so the motherboard is what im looking at now. so many chocies to make about building these computers. who knows i might just go with it and be done with it.

ok so that is where i am at. just a motherboard. sli and am2 compatible. as for pci slots well not sure what i would need to put in the slots yet. 2 might be goos enough for now. as long as i have enough pci epress slots for the sli video cards to work, im good.

ok thats it for now.

taz1974

15. taz1974

taz1974 Member

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Lp531,
    Just got your post. Either way I go I'll spend the same, actually a little less with newegg.com because of the $50 MIR. I want to make sure why I need this 'powerful' of a card. I'm assumming (don't like to do this...lol) that your thinking of the next build and possibly playing more (different) games. Just asking.

.............c

btw I bought the card already but BB has a great return policy with unopened products.

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@greensman
    just thinking of what fits in your budget...this does at under a $100 after rebate...and what can at least play most games at an attceptable resolution...
    What games do you play?..

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!! COLTS WIN!!!

can anyone tell i am from Indianapolis lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Lp531,
    Not many with a Radeon 9250. lol. No telling once I get something decent to play games with. Remember I do have a pS2 and GameCube for games.

aabbccdd,
    To bad they're gonna lose in 2 weeks. lol. Not a fan of anyone left. I'm a JAFO at this point. lol.

......c

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

So thats where your from...I would have went 0 for 2 day...good thing I don't gamble...

At least the second game was good...the first started off Ok then became a blow out...It's been a bad year in sports all around for me...My 49er's & Kings both suck...At least Montana's 4 superbowl record is safe for now...

Glad for Manning...he deserves to be there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.