1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By all means stick with the Corsair PSU, it's the PSU-at-the-bottom-layout case they're telling you to avoid. I'm indifferent on that matter really, I own one of each type, they both work well.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

anybody ever delt with Directron.com http://www.directron.com/cmstacker830.html

I can get the CM stacker 830 evo there for the same price as what it is on sale at PC Shop only the shipping will cost me $16.09 as opposed to $22.00 at PC Shop.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

My biggest problem with the Bottom P/S configuration was with routing of wires...I am completely obsessive about wire routing...and most P/S and M/B are Designed Optimally for a top mount P/S...especially a problem for the 24pin Connector for the M/B...

My biggest worry with a P/S with a top mount 120mm fan...turned up in the bottom of a case...was Dust Collection...and the potential of Dropping something into the P/S through the fan opening...LOL..:)

The last Antec 900 I built was that way...It bothered me...I would have went with a rear fan design P/S for that case...even though...the other way worked just fine...

@Mort81
    I have dealt with Directron a few times...I never had any problems with them...I would use them again if the price was right...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Lp,
    I'm the same way when it comes to routing wiring.
    I'm going to start building my own PSU leads at some point. I don't like unused connectors and I'd really like to adjust the lengths.

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@fasfrank
    I hear you on that one...when are they going to drop the floppy connector...a molex to floppy adapter is all that is needed...I never install a floppy except for initial start-up...I use a flash drive for all the little stuff that one use to use a floppy for...

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'm over at FrozenCPU filling my shopping cart with all kinds of pin removing/installing tools, some Molex pins, sleeving and anything else I can think of. The main thing is the crimping tool though. I don't want the wires pulling out!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm kind of a n00b here so take that into consideration. ;)

Don't you wanna soldier the wire to the connector (metal prong)?? Makes for a better connection and almost never pulls out of the connector(metal prong). :D

Rob,
    It's ok just get you a "rear" exhaust P/S if you can. ;) The other will work but as these guys have mentioned don't drop anything in the P/S or you'll have to go fishing. lol.

....gm

8. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I'm not that great at finding good deals..
    Does anyone know a reliable place where I can get this hsf for less than 20 bucks (including s/h)?

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Isn't that the one I originally said to get for $9.99 at SVC...

11. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

It might be. But I think abuzar1 found a different model number of the same one for less (after rebates, which I'm ok with). But does anyone know if the one abuzar1 posted (http://www.svc.com/rr-cch-l9u1-gp.html) comes with thermal compound? Or do I have to buy that separate..

12. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

That is a sick deal for the Stacker, I just picked up the black one, and then a Corsair 520HX to go with it, as per the recommendation of Sam. Its a modular power supply too, so my wire routing should be looking beautiful.

The Stacker comes with two fans stock I believe, but has the option add a bunch more, 8 or 9 or something like that. I also really like the way it looks, and its large size too.

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It comes with the Cooler Master metallic paste...It also has the compound pre-installed on the cooler...however...it is not applied that good...so...wipe it off...use the tube and install the thinest film you can across the top of the installed CPU...not on the Cooler as the factory did...

14. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I know this may be common knowledge to most, but how exactly do I wipe the compound off the cooler? Just kind of scrape it off with a credit card type thing?

EDIT:
    Unfortunately, it seems that there is no rebate for the cooler master hsf (http://www.svc.com/rr-cch-l9u1-gp.html). The link to the rebate pdf is actually a rebate for a cooler master PS.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  15. pernal

pernal Regular member

@Mort81

Directron is a good online wharehouse;If you are in Houston,Tx can go there place on Harwin and order( They have 10-12 pc's to order with) and pick up if you like. My cousin just about lives at: one of the 3 Fry's, Micro Center and Directron for his local pc parts for his business.

Every time I/me and the wife visits relatives; I have to make my rounds for specials/save on shipping cost.

Burn On,
    Russell

PS. I wish Vicki Still did her twice a year wharehouse sales; I miss those steal of a deals.

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Just wipe it off with a paper towel...clean with a cotton ball and some alcohol...apply evenly with a matchbook cover or card...

The rebate is good...they just linked to wrong form...call or email...SVC will take care of it and you...

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes a credit card will work. ;)

Here's the same cooler at ZZF. :) link

...gm

18. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

Thanks. And don't worry, someday I'll grow out of my stupidity and possibly become as knowledgeable as you people..haha.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Found this deal at SVC for $9.99 for a LG775 cpu cooler. Cooler Master RR-PCH-S9U1-GP HYPER TX ;)

hth....

...gm

edit: grammar and description...lol

20. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

Sorry for all the questions. On my prospective motherboard, I looked at a close up picture, and it doesn't seem to have a dial-up internet jack, just a broadband port. Do they make motherboards with modem (dial-up) slots anymore? Or do I(/should I) have to buy a separate network card for that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.