1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well spotted REAM, I didn't even notice that!
    By the way jazman, I assume you'll be playing games and/or encoding video on that PC? If you're just watching High def stuff on it it's ridiculous overkill, you wouldn't need anywhere near that much processing power or graphics performance.

2. REAM

REAM Guest

see i thought it was a real build until i saw that mobo and those GPUs. i think he went to a site and found the most expensive things.

on another note, when am i gonna become a senior member. not that i strive to it, but i have been here fairly long, and there are a lot of newer ppl becoming one before me. :(

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I got my Senior Member status at post count of 600. AD addict is 2500 i think.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  4. REAM

REAM Guest

damn. ok im on 477. DAMN, GTR musta posted LOADZ to get that status so quickly....

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Don't worry to much about what your member title says. It's quality over quanitity IMO. Spammer or a member who contributes.......I know who i would have on my forum.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, he does. It's evident in the style of his posts.
    As He_Man says though, it's not about the post count, it's about what you write.

7. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

REAM

"see i thought it was a real build until i saw that mobo and those GPUs. i think he went to a site and found the most expensive things."

I am on this site looking for advise for my next build, my collegue who normally advises me it out of the country and I am not an expert in this field, hence I was looking for advise on what I thought was looked like a good build. Therfore I would like to thank Sammoris who has provided real feedback. As for your Ream I will not lower my self by fully responding to your comments.

Sammoris
    You say this'll be going in a media center PC. You do realise it'll be very loud right?
    It's difficult to silence high end gear like this, but if you want to start, get a Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink for your CPU, and get two HR-03 Plus coolers for the 8800s, that'll halve the noise level.

As for the noice level it will be stored in a seperate small room where the noice wont be an issue but I will order the heatsinks you listed. As for the SLI I didnt spot that one, is their any motherboards you would recommend to run two highend GPU's on that will run ddr3 and Intel quads?

8. REAM

REAM Guest

sorry if i insulted you. i did not mean to and i guess i went the wrong way of saying what i said. sorry.

its just that if you had known, esp when your blowing soo much unneeded money on it, you would know that you cannot SLI on an x38 chipset.

ATM there are no DDR3 and SLI mobos.

it would be better and more cost worthy to get a good x38 chipset mobo, if you are OCing. and one Ultra, or if its a media device, then i guess HD playback would be neccesery and so get 2x HD3870s which produce amazing image quality, and you can crossfire them (ATIs version of SLI)

if you are stringent on SLI, then you will ahve to go for DDR2 on a 680i nvidia mobo. but alot of 680is are known to throw a fit with all 3 DIMM slots full, therefore, you will need to get 2x2GB DDR2 to get the 4GB.

i am pretty sure they support the new peryns.

i would also back your choice of PSu, or go for TAGAN, or Pc power and cooling, or an Antec Quatro.

everything else seems fine.

sorry if i came over as agressive and insluting.

9. REAM

REAM Guest

i know your right. i was thinking that aswell....but it still bugz me. oh well....it not the end of life...or is it? ;D

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

jazmanuk,
    You are doing everything the right way by examining your needs and making a list of what you think might do the job, what caliber of computer you want to build and then changing your list as you get feedback from some folks that happen to be very good at being helpful and give good advice. When you've made all your decisions and get it built it should be one Kick-A$$ machine!

Welcome to AD, by the way!

@fasfrank,
    Nice optical illusion on the pic of your computer! Scroll the picture to the bottom of the screen snd then move it down and up, and you'll see what I mean! Sort of leap's out at you! Very nice effect!

Best Regards,
    theone :<)

11. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

REAM

Thankyou Ream.

What do you think of this board Asustek S775 Striker Extreme nForce 680i ATX running with two 8800 Ultra GPU's? What ram would you recommend ? PC2 6400 Brand ?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Jazman: I will humbly come forward and say that my initial thought when reading that list was along the lines of REAM's. However, closer inspection suggested that some thought had gone into the process, so my apprehensions were lifted. Usually when people just pick what's the most expensive item on the list, you end up with something that actually isn't really that good.
    As far as the PC being in a separate room goes, that's fine, but I bring you back to my other comment. Are you REALLY going to use all that processing power?
    REAM: Crossfire? No thanks. I would never push crossfire on anyone. It's completely useless compared to crossfire. I think Crysis is about the only game it works well on. It's a pain to set up and has to be disabled for most games or they'll crash.
    As for the PSU, don't bother with any of Tagan's top end stuff. It's understandable for a PC that powerful to be noisy, but the din the Turbojet units make is absolutely deafening.

Jazman(again): I personally use Corsair XM2 PC6400 CAS4. However, this RAM is really cheap now, and since cost isn't an issue you may as well go with Crucial Ballistix Tracers, in PC8500 form. Those things are about the best performers I know of all DDR2 modules.

13. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

Thankyou "theonejrs".

Once built I will post the 3D mark scores and final specifications, hopefully it will as you said kicksa@Sse!!!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

jazmanuk,
    These seem to be very popular right now and are reported to overclock very well! I'm planning on replacing my PC6400 G.Skill with the 1066MHz version of these. The G.Skill I have is excellent memory but it just doesn't work with the higher FSB much above 3.5GHz, where the 1066 Tracers hit 4.0 for my E6750 easy! Someone on this thread has 800MHz Crucial Ballistix Tracer memory and swears by it! The voltage is reasonable at 2.2v as well!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148076

They don't make them in 2GB sticks, best buy is in pairs $150 for 2 matched pairs of very good memory isn't bad!
    That OCZ Platinum DDR3 on your list, would whack your wallet pretty good! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

15. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

SAMMORRIS
    What motherboard would you recommend with the Crucial Ballistix Tracers, in PC8500 as I have checked the Asus spec for the Striker Extreme and that only supports as max PC2 6400 ?

As for will I use the power, I dont know, but why do I drive the car I do, I'll never really use the power of it otherwise I could find myself banged up but if I ever needed it I know it will be their.

16. REAM

REAM Guest

17. REAM

REAM Guest

i guesss the power can be of use if you dont upgrade the system down the line at 3-4 years.

i would recomend the p5k, if you are mot going SLI, or the Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5, or the Asus P5E Intel X38 (not with 3 at the end of P5E) or the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

oh and most mobos will say only to 6400, because that is the standard set by (cant remember the name). it will unofficially support much higher.

18. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

Ream

It looks like it back to the drawing board.

If it was upto you and you had to incoparate an Intel QUAD Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.2GHz 12MB 1333MHz what mobo / graphics / memory what you opt for? (Price upto £4000)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

REAM,
    That's a limitation of the chipset standard! My P35-DS3R with the P35 chipset officially supports 667/800/1066 memory. It also supports the Quads, both 65 and 45nm as well as the Penryn!

Best Regards,
    theone

20. REAM

REAM Guest

ok but this is in my opinion.
    right, if i was working to a £4000 budget:

[​IMG]

But if i was limited then this:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.