1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REAM

REAM Guest

thanks. that clears thing up for me! :)

2. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

Ream Wow thankyou I never expected the amount of help you have given me.

2 towers ? would the first order list not fit in the T-Armour ?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

jazmanuk,
    For what you want it for, I'm gonna come down in price a bit. I mean we're talking a motherboard that will run the two 8800Ultra's, and this fits your needs to a tea and is a highly acclaimed motherboard. It's not about the money, it's about what best fits your needs.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128064

Assuming that it's away in a room by itself, and more than likely will run 24/7! There's where the durable part. I'll bet one of these would run for 5 years with a minimal amount of maintenance, no problem! You have the same 4 video feeds as the first motherboard you posted. Stick 4x1MB sticks of 1066 Crucial Ballistix Tracer cas4 memory in there and just "Set it and Forget It"! It'll be damn fast too! One 8800Ultra has the power of almost every 2 card combination there is, and there's only a few that are better. And not by a wide margin either! The only thing I would do different from you is build it as a Q6600 and wait for the QX9850, cause that's gonna be some chip! Pop that 45nm chip in it down the road a bit, "After" all the bugs are gone and watch it fly!

It's what I would build that would to suit your needs if you were a customer of mine!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to You and Yours
    [​IMG]

Russ :>)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  4. REAM

REAM Guest

no worries, thats why i am here, to help.

yeah i pout in to, because i could not choose between the two.

IMO this would be my personal 4K build:

[​IMG]

5. REAM

REAM Guest

and how about this for an AMD SLI option?

[​IMG]

i have changed some, but kept most.

se you can build an AMAZING computer, the whole thing inc speaskers (amazing btw) and IMO the world best 30" monitor (bar the one realy really expensive company, i forget the name)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some fine component choices there. I'd still go with a Core 2 Quad over a Phenom though.

7. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Def Intel Quad over the AMD Phenom

And you guys should upgrade your Raptors to the Raptor X, and your Samsung DVD burners to Plextors. My .02 :)

Man, that 64gb solid state disk would be sick to install your OS on. It's too bad they cost about as much as a computer.

I gotta check out that ATI Radeon HD 3870 XT, dual DVI, TV-Out, 512 mb DDR4.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I will agree on the DVD drives, but as for the Raptors, definitely not. You can't see the window on the Raptor X in the vast majority of cases, and they only last a quarter of the amount of time as normal raptors. They're just not worth bothering with.

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

10. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Tell me what you think of this 3850,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-088-HT

Here is a pic of what a slightly downgraded OC ver of the 3850 does compared to the 8800GT.

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a 6.8 fps difference. If i get that insanely OCed 3850(even more than the GeCube), i could match the 8800GT aswell as saving me £30-£40. And those tests were done on that Gigbayte board i am going to buy so i can truely compare performance.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  11. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

really? ive only heard good reviews about them, maybe i gotta check my sources.

ok...i just read the toms hardware review, they were saying the Raptor 150 and the Raptor X 150 are basically the same thing inside, minus the clear window. Bottom line they said, save $50 and get the regular one.

haha looks like i just got schooled.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    The "Tracers" are the better buy and better chip! but unfortunately the timing for me is all wrong. Money's gonna be a bit scarce until after New Years! LOL!! Great prices though!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

He_Man: Also remember the drivers are edited for the 8800GT to make Crysis run artificially faster. When you turn that stupid hack off the 3870 makes 50fps.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually it would just make the 8800GT slower, not the HD 3870 faste. Same difference tho :)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, yeah. Dumbass moment there.

17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

My Phenom build is going on the back burner until something changes. Either a much better bios becomes available for the motherboard or a much improved processor. I'm tired of fighting it and I believe it's NOT the platform for crossfire 3870's at the moment. I'll keep reading and searching for solutions but so far nothing has really made a difference.

The good news for me is that I'm in the queue for a new EVGA 780i board. They have a 680i trade-in/upgrade program that started today.
    I think this is a result of the 680i not supporting Yorkfield quads. EVGA does like to keep it's devotees happy and they were certainly bitching about this.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

fasfrank,
    I missed that one! Lots of good news though!

Best Regards,
    theone

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm guiding a member through a PC build at the moment (well it's pretty much done now, but anyway) and he has an EVGA board. I've got to say, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. It came with no paper manual, and the onboard driver CD didn't work.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I have to say it doesn't sound like it was a Retail MB. Maybe an OEM, open box or something like that. I gather that the motherboard didn't come directly to you, but was supplied by the person you are guiding through the build? I could see a missing Manual or a missing CD, but I just can't see both at the same time! The odds against it would be pretty remote!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.