1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It was brand new from newegg...

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

This was hidden in amongst the other Crucial RAM deals.
    This is PC 6400 (DDR2 800) RAM....

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB ) PC2-6400 800Mhz 240-pin DDR2 Memory w/ LED Lights
    link

...gm

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

newegg sells brand new oem mobo's. sounds like that is what he got.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That would explain the lack of manual, but the driver CD?

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Ive found NewEgg very good at sending,misplaced or missing Products.Call their 800 #.They will probably send it to U.Can't U D/L the drivers off the internet ? Myself I prefer going to the horses mouth & making sure I've got the latest

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, should be able to dl the manual, drivers, and utilities from the net.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh sam!!!! You lazy git!! j/k, couldn't resist. :p

I've had to do that a couple of times with "RETAIL" mobos and it's a PIA for sure but I got 'er done as our friend Larry says!!! :D

@Mort,
    I'm still envious of your Stacker 830 EVO!!! L@@KED at one face to face today and they're NICE!!! Any plans with it in the NEAR future?? You really should PM me about these sales going on in my little neck of the woods. :) Been "talking" to doc about it, you "chatted" with him lately?? ;)

....gm

Again thanks to you guys for the help. :D

Ordered the Crucial Tracers DDR2 1066 and gonna get the Gigabyte GA-P35C mobo. ;) Working on a deal for an E6850!!!! :D:D:D:D from ear to ear.....

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha I know, that's what he did, but you still shouldn't have to.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

yeah the stacker is a nice case. great features. I need a garage to park it in though (it's big).

haven't talked to doc rescently (month or two) but might give him a ring this week.

I've just about decided to go with some DDR2 1066 crucial tracers too. other stuff:

corsair 620HX PSU

raptor or variable speed hdd for OS (gonna do some more research).

gonna wait for new intel CPU's

haven't decided on a mobo yet (brand or model).

thermalright ultra 120 extreme cpu hsf.

gonna buy a used geforce 7950GT from a buddy.

It'll be a while as I'm in no hurry and am gonna buy a little at a time.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort81
    The variable speed H/D are good for storage...they do not recommend them for O/S drives...I would look at the New Segate 32MB cache H/D...here is a link to a good article comparing these new drives...Go with (2) in Raid and you will have very near Raptor performance...without all the Noise...
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/13440

Now aren't you glad I gave you the Nudge on that case..:)

Hey Greenie..:)
    So you finally pulled the trigger on the memory...did you get the Tracers for $101 with $25 rebate $76 at buy.com

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yep!! Couldn't refuse such a good deal when I wanted sumting like that anyway. ;) That crazy docTY was wanting me to go with PC 10000 RAM. :p NOT really but he said he had some and it's crazy fast!!! :D Said he has it timed at about 5-5-5-15 and it's running at about 1200-1250 w/o a drop of sweat!! WOW........ (best Yoda voice: Fast he is!!!! Blur I'm saying!!!)

Thanks again Lp531....

...gm

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    I did not realize there was a difference in the chips...between "Ballistic" & "Ballistic Tracers"...I knew the PCB were different because of the Lights...Did not realize the chips were different as well...
    I was trying to get away from Lights...I guess I should just go with the Tracers...

@Greenie
    Crazy Fast and Crazy Priced...But what the Hell...Doc can afford it...How is the Doc Doing...and what ever happened to BigDK...I have not seen him post in quite a while...

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well one would assume wouldn't he?? lol.

He seems to be doing just fine but work is KICKING his ARSE according to him. I think he's just lazy but that's me. lol. Good thing he's on vacation or he'd kick my arse. hehehe. ;)

I have no idea what happened to BigDK. I liked that guy and he's the only other member that I know with the same CRAZY ideas that doc had. ;P Wish they would both come back and continue to teach but we all have to move on at some time.

Hope all is good with you. ;)

...gm

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Things Could Not be Better...I meet with the City today...They do not want to hire me...they want me to just take the festival back over...I will have complete financial control...of course I take complete financial risk...but with me in charge...there will be little risk...I can easily earn 2...maybe 3 times as much...by taking the risk...verses them simply hiring me...which is fine with me...

I just want my Festival Back...and it looks like I will get it...and with a Deal Beyond my Wildest Dreams...I am so stoked right now..:) This could easily be My Retirement...This could seriously be...Me Receiving...My Dream Gig...as a matter of fact...I will be going down tomorrow...to obtain my New Business License...under my New Company Name...this is so Big...it will need it's own separate Company...

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Good luck in all of your endeavors, especially this one! I know you earned it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Thanks Russ...
    Much Appreciated...I just can't wipe the grin off my Face..:)
    The City has No idea what I was willing to offer them for the Festival...and I did not have to Offer them a thing...they just handed it to me...I was beyond Dumb Founded when they just Offered it Back...

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    You're an Honest person, and I guess they looked at it like you were the right person for the job, and could make it all happen! If you'd gone in there with a load of BS like most people might.......Who Knows? I do think it's there faith in the fact that they think you can make this special! I think you can! Go make it "Happen"!

Best Regards,
    Russ {:>}

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I ran the event for 5 years...attendance went from around 3,000 in 2001...to...87,000 in 2005...It was quite a turn around...In the last 2 years...attendance went down to about 30,000...with a lot of Bad Press...

There are a couple little hoops I have to jump through...but it is basically going to be mine again...except...this time...all the profit that I can generate...will be mine...the risk is enormous...the pressure is unbelievable...but the financial rewards can be life changing...

Most people simply can not handle the pressure it takes to run a Major Festival...the promoter before me cracked under the pressure...actually had a complete nervous breakdown at the event...and was hauled away in an ambulance...

The promoter after me...quit due to health issues...Heart...Friends who worked the event...said the promoter "cracked under the pressure both years...they kept telling me...this guy has no business running an event like this...he can not handle it...hang in there it will be yours again"...

Thank George Lucas (GOD) they were Right...I guess The Force is with Me...LOL..:)...I still can't get the grin off my face...

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

@Lp531,

congrats are in order here. there is no doubt in my mind you will succeed. yeah, I'm glad you knudged me to pull the trigger on the stacker evo even tho at the moment it's empty. just couldn't let that deal get away. I'm in no hurry to build and will be looking for deals on the hardware I already know I want: corsair 620HX, thermalright ultra 120 extreme, crucial DDR2 1066 memory (which is better the tracers or the ballistic tracers?)

talked to the Doc last night. by the way he is never coming back to AD. his AMD rig went down and he has determined it to be either the cpu or the mobo. the mobo is an asus and he has tried to get an rma via phone and email both to no avail. too damn bad asus makes good products but their customer service SUCKS.

he also has two EVGA 680i mobos and he couldn't decide whether to upgrade one to a 780i for $90 or just go with an all togather new mobo with the X38 chipset. I convinced him to take advantage of the $90 upgrade 1st as he can always get a mobo with the X38 chipset later.

my current rig has gotten some bugs and I believe it is due for a reformat. I might tackle that the next day or so. ugh, I've got so much to reload if and when I do.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  20. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Oh and on 780i, is the board worth splashing out for in terms of performance over a p35?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.