1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if you want SLI. it is capable of running up to three GPU's in SLI but only with top end GPU's. in other words, to run three GPU's in SLI they have to be 8800GT's, 8800GTX's, or 8800 ultra's. you can only run two cards with 8800GTS's or inferior GPU's so I understand.

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

It seems only GTX And Ultra can have 3 x sli.....weird, you would have thought NVIDIA would have put another sli slot on it's supposedly cutting edge 8800gt.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes Lp531 congrats are in order.... GOOD luck to you but for some reason I don't think you'll need it. ;)

Quit rubbing it in on that case you BUGGER!!! I love that case and maybe someday when I grow up I'll get one. :p

btw found this little review while searching for info on the Crucial RAM... link I know they compare it to Super Talent but it's still impressive none the less.... ;)

yeh I know that he won't be back but it never hurts to say you LOVE someone in open forum. hehehe. He'll laugh at that one. :p That does SUCK about his MOBO taking a dump. Is that his 185 Opty on the 939 socket??

...gm

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Greensman: Indeed I haven't seen BigDK around for a while. me and him had a big falling out a couple of years ago (over something I still maintain to this day), but never mind, we settled out our differences in the end.
    Lp: Congrats mate! Best of luck turning that festival around!
    Mort: So I'm not the only person to have had issues with Asus boards. Did his board have an nvidia chipset? If so that only adds to my interest.
    When both of my Asus boards failed before 1 year's warranty, I sunk my losses and bought another. I could have sent them back to the retailer, but couldn't really be bothered... Yeah, my laziness costs me dear!

5. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

EMERGENCY

I'm trying to install my core 2 duo cpu into the appropriate slot on my motherboard. I gently placed the cpu into the slot and closed the metal cover. But to push the lever down into its place, I would be creating a bit of pressure on the cpu, and as I understand it, that's not something I should be doing. Can anyone give me advice or help? I'm scared to death.

6. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Are the pins on the mobo and cpu lined up?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The CPU should slot into the socket fully by itself, and lie perfectly flat. The lever will require a reasonable amount of force to close, but you should not have to strain yourself to do it.

8. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

yes everything is lined up. the cover seems to be bent/curved a little...is that normal? I almost want to just forced the lever into place, but I don't want to break anything.

EDIT:
    Could you describe this force needed for the lever? I'm not straining myself, but it is more force than I expected. An example or comparison regarding the force would be extremely helpful.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Thanks everyone I truly appreciate the encouraging words...Man I've been sick all day...I think I caught a Cold at Van Halen on Sunday...I feel like sh!t...I am a tough Son of a Bitch until I get sick...then I am the worlds biggest puppy...I freaking hate being sick...

@Mort
    I believe Dell has the Corsair 620 for $109 right now...I know I saw it some were the other day for that price...maybe when I feel a little better...I will look around...tell Doc to do the update on the board...EVGA should be commended for offering the upgrade...Looks like ASUS could learn a thing or two from EVGA...Another ASUS bites the Dust...I have been hearing that for quite a while...when they work they are great...but they really seem to be a hit or miss proposition right now...

@greenie
    Everyone needs Luck...I just try not to have to count on it...but I will take it...

A Very Good Buy...cheapest I have ever seen them...especially with the free shipping...
    Logitech Z 5500 Digital - PC Multimedia Home Theater Speaker System - 970115-0403 $229.47 with a $50 rebate $179.47***FREE SHIPPING***
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10380059&adid=17653&dcaid=17653

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  10. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I decided to just do it. I forced the cpu retention lever down into place. I hope I didn't break anything.

11. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Their customer service is absolutely appalling, I'd avoid them if I were you.

13. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Okay, i don't mind paying an extra say £20 for peace of mind. Finally got my mum to give me her credit card.........buying parts tomoz.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

jtan189.
    They fit tighter than the older ones did. It takes a healthy Push on the arm to close the bracket. As long as you have the two notches matching the cuts in the CPU aligned, don't worry about it! Resistance starts about 45 degrees into closing it!

Best Regards,
    theone :<)

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Itan,
    It is surprising the amount of force required to get the lever down. I don't know the pound force for how much is normal, say 4 or 5 lbs?? It does not just push over easily. The way I can tell is as I push the lever, force will not begin to build until it is tilted past vertical about 10 or 15 degrees. After that it builds rapidly. Chances are you are OK. I always make sure the triangles are lined up, and as Sam mentioned, that it's lying flat and square. It is normal for the retainer to arc a bit. Mine always do.

You are being cautious and that will lead to a successful build.

I think some folks just slam things together and end up bitching that their mobo or whatever is dead.

Cheers!

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Already got my Crucial Tracers in. lol. Man that was fast!! I have NO way to test them tho. I'm a little worried because they didn't come in that STANDARD cardboard box they talk about!!! They were packaged in a plastic snap case and mailed in a bubble mailer. WTHeck is that???? Anyway for any of you that buy them from Buy.com be aware they come that way. Still impressed with shipping time. Ordered Monday night and here on Wednesday evening.... :D

....gm

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

They did the same to me...I thought it was pretty Wack...I've never seen Crucial come that way...its always came in a little Crucial Cardboard Box...Hell the bag it came in was like 12"x 16"...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greensman,
    Don't sweat the memory. A lot of memory is shipped that way. mIne were packed that way inside the Blue metalic looking box fro G.Skill. Corsair Value select is packed that way so it'll be fine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most of the cheaper memory I've bought has come that way, I assumed that was the retail packaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.