1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@rick5446
    I prefer the Lite-On over the Sony-NEC...The only Sony I have is a Re-badged Lite-On...I just prefer to not support Sony...because...they are Sony...Lite-On's work...I have never had a problem with a Lite-On...I just simply refuse to support Sony...

Microsoft...Sony...RIAA...MPA...or as I call them the AXIS OF EVIL...}:)

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Anyway lets leave starforce in the dust and get "back to reality, oh there goes gravity".........sorry couldnt resist the eminem rap :p

I was wondering in terms of performance what a 16mb/32mb cache has over say a 8mb cache? My guess is that the 16mb/32mb cache can hold more address values so access time is quicker by like 0.4ms? I say 0.4ms as the drive times i see differ between 8.5 and 8.9ms on 7200 drives.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I'm the same way, so I was torn when the Sony/NEC/Optiarc deal went into effect, but after buying some 27 of these drives this past year, and only having 1 failure ever, I'll stick with a good thing. I just consider them Optiarcs! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    theone :<)

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Right now from what I've read and my experience with the 20A3P I would go with the Sony and "flash" it to a 20A3P. jm2c there. I've read a little bit and "flashed" many times on the 20A3P and it produces pretty good results with most media. NOW it doesn't like "low" grade DL media so don't expect it to burn those well. :)

A quick search at CDF might reveal more but like I said from my experience I would go with the Sony 7190A. :D I have one and it works just fine. :D

...gm

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@rick5446 & theonejrs
    The Drives performance wise are probably very equal...they will both work...I am certain that the Sony is Not of Superior Quality...and the Sony is probably Not of Inferior Quality either...So...Its really just a Toss-up...

Where's Greensman?..He can probably tell you if there is really any difference between the (2)...He loves playing with and comparing the different Drives Burn Qualities...

Thanks for the Input Greenie...you Sony Lover..:) Go ahead just support the AXIS OF EVIL...LOL...I take it back...Greenie doesn't know anything...ROFL...}:)

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm right here and the Axis of Evil has nothing to do with Sony, just the middle east. lol.... :p

The way I looked at it is they are selling the Sony for about the same or less than the SAME Lite-On so HOW MUCH MONEY are they really making?? :p

...gm

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sony have done some pretty horrific things in the past, but that doesn't stop me buying from them, in the same way that I use Microsoft products. Nvidia and Intel aren't exactly corporate gods, but I'm using hardware made by the latter at present. As for nvidia, not at the moment, but I'm dubious as to whether that would stop me.

8. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

ORLY?

[​IMG]

It seems ATI may soon challenge a GTX, not in performance but in length. That thing is a fusking behemoth.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Take a close look at that card. Notice anything familiar? Looks rather suspiciously like the 'Dragon's head' R600 prototype. I'd be somewhat surprised if that's what the final retail design looked like. I'd also be dismayed if they used the DH cooler.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I have never personally owned a sony drive, but have owned many Lite-Ons and they have all performed very well. as most of you know if a drive doesn't bitset I don't want it. all litey half height drives do. I'm not sure whether or not the sony/NECs do. if plextor was still actually making drives and not rebranding them, that's what I would get.

11. REAM

REAM Guest

i herd it was going to be called either the 3890/3875/3970

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@greensman
    That is probably the most important question about the (2) drives...I know the Lite-On's do it...and do it very well...but I am not sure if the Sony's do it...or do it well...

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What is "bitset"?

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar1
    Its actually called bitsetting...
    Type in bitsetting and you should get plenty of info on the subject...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh alright I get it now. Thanks.

16. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Plextor's are still the only drives I use. When did they start rebranding them? And what drives are they rebranding as their own? This is all news to me.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    The answer to both is Yes, they do it and do it well! Taking my cue from Mort81 (who I first learned about bit setting from), I agree with him 100%! If it doesn't bit set and bit set well, I don't want it!

The plextor's are just too expensive, and the one I did own gave me all sorts of grief! A lot of problems with Disc compatibility with stand alone players! The ones I make play on just about anything!

Best Regards,
    theone

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes that is very important!! BUT remember that Sony still doesn't make their own drive. lol. Well afaik... ;)

Lite-On, BENQ, NEC/Optiarc, and Pioneer I think. NOT sure on Pioneer but they (pioneer) have/do build for many companies including Plextor!! :D

NOW on to the question...lol

Sony IF made by any of the companies that I just mentioned WILL book-type!!! You may have to get "un-official" f/w for it and "cross-flash" it to a DIFFERENT drive to make it do your thing!!! lol.

More if you wanna know but we've gone a little OT here. lol. :p

.....gm

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The only Sony Drive I ever bought was a CD Burner and is still with me! Of course it's been beaten flat with a 5 Lb. hammer, to about license plate thickness! Had a little "warranty Problem" with Sony's replacement drive, and Sony told me to go pound salt, because the replacement for it was a Refurb with a 30 day warranty and wouldn't honor the original 1 year warranty even though it had about 4 months to go. I'm not quite sure how Sony got involved with NEC/Optiarc, but I'll bet Sony has to pay money to both NEC and Optiarc because NEC had an exclusive contract with Optiarc to build their drives! The drive in my computer doesn't say Sony on it anywhere! Even in the System it says Optiarc only! The label on the drive says NEC/Optiarc! So I don't consider it a Sony!

My Sony 425 watt Digital Audio Control Center was purchased by someone else who wound up owing me $80 that he never paid, so I took it (literally) as payment! LOL!! I don't buy Sony because if I do it won't last the warranty period! They once tried to charge me over $300 to repair a 1X Stand Alone CD Player that was 4 months old! It must be in the by-laws of the Villians, Thieves and Pirates Union that warranties won't be honored! Because The only time Sony ever honored any one of my purchases was with the aforementioned refurbed CD Burner. All it's good for today besides a laugh is maybe "Second Base"! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.