1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@schpoogle
    Your P/S does not have the 3 pin fan connector I was talking about...
    I have No Idea what you are talking about when you mentioned a 2 pin connector...there are No 2 pin connectors on your P/S...or any P/S that I know of...thats why I wanted a link...

As for your CPU Cooler...you are talking about a small 4 pin fan connector...correct...

It helps if I know what your system is...right now I only know that you have a CM-500 P/S...I know nothing else about your build...

Link to the connectors on your P/S...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...+MASTER+eXtreme+RP-500-PCAR+500W+Power+Supply

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

Thanks for the reply k0jootti, fasfrank and abuzar1.

I have updated to the latest ATI drivers and still no luck.

I also tried Ghost Reckon Advanced Warfighter 2 and this game re-booted my whole PC when loading up the menu!

Does sound like the card is overheating.

Is their anyway to stop it overheating? I have 3 fans in my case and the PC does stay cool, but i have not monitored temps during gameplay as most games are cutting out.

However with Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 the game runs fine, and temps are around 45 degress.

I am not overclocked.

Any ideas to stop overheating? Or could be something else.

Thanks for the help

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What brand is your card?

4. k0jootti

k0jootti Regular member

5. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

Theone, I keep getting PXE-E61 media test failure. No bootable device. Also it does not seem to understand that I have two HDDs installed even tho they show up as being on SATA0 and SATA1. I have an "UltimateBootCD" that I can put inthe RW drive and it starts, unfortunately, when I tried to set up the HDD it dumped me into DOS.I don't speak DOS. Everything that I have tried today has not worked. When I was in BIOS, it asked for "Raid,IDE, AHXX", I set it for IDE. I could not find anything that gave me an auto-detect for the HDDs. I am about as frustrated as I can get and may have to back off for a couple of days. I will keep trying but is there any way to find out about the BIOS settings, a place where I can see exactly the different screens with an explanation of their purpose? Thanx for all your help. My Granddaddy once said, "There are no stupid questions."

6. schpoogle

schpoogle Member

@Lp531:

Yes, the original cpu fan had a small 4 pin connector. The new one has a 3 pin connector but fits where the 4pin would go. The two pin connectors may be a mistaken description by me - they look like small 3pin connectors, but I examined them and found only two pins within the plastic connector, so I called them 2pin connectors.

Rest of system: Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l, Intel e4500 duo core, 2 gigs crucial ballistix 6400 ram, 400 gig seagate sata drive, 7300GT video card (a stopgap I had lying around til prices come down for the higher end cards), cooler master centurion 5 case, cooler master extreme 500 ps, lite-on sata dvd burner.

Thanks for your help.

7. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

the brand is ATI RADEON X1950 PRO

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@schpoogle
    This connector is coming from the Power Supply?..
    Are you sure...that it is not coming from a fan?..Some fans only have 2 wires...in a 3 connector plug...
    Do you see it in the pictures of your P/S connectors that I linked to?..

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Les!!! Looks like fun to me. :)

L@@K at this deal on a Corsair VX 550W Power Supply - CMPSU-550VX $68.04 after MIR!!! link

I'm getting one just cause it's a GREAT deal!! ;)

...gm

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Nice find...Greenie...
    I think I will pick one up...

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

You better hurry!! They'll go fast. Just clicked the "BUY" meself!!!! :D

...gm

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

*UK people cry in corner*

13. k0jootti

k0jootti Regular member

So does the finns. Great deal, no doubt about it. :)

14. schpoogle

schpoogle Member

@Lp531

The cables were connected to the molex connector, and I think they are from the fans - an extra bit of cable they included. I just happened to leave them connected to the power supply unit. At the time I figured if they were included, they were meant to be connected, so at first I did. Somehow, it didn't seem to make sense, which is why I requested help here. I can just unplug them all and the ps cables will look like they do in the images at newegg. Sorry for the confusion - there were more variables than I expected.

So I'm left with 3 fans and 3 fan headers. I assume I should just plug the 3pin connectors to various headers. But, is there any difference in which header they get connected to? Thanks.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm not Lp but you should be able to see an indicator next to each header, CPU_FAN, SYS_FAN or CAS_FAN I think. Of course the CPU_FAN is self explanatory. The other(s) should hook up which ever way doesn't "exert" to much strain on the wires. ;)

hth.....

..gm

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Damn it man, I bought that PSU for 90 bucks!

shubagh18, check your temps. If nothing seems to be overheating, then try one last thing, format and re-install Windows. That fixed a video card for me once. Otherwise you could contact your manufacturer and have them send you a replacement. A lot of video cards these days seem to have lifetime warranties.

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Has anyone used this fan...
    Enermax Marathon Enlobal 120mm x 25mm Magnetic Bearing Fan, RoHS Compliant, Model: UC-12EB Specifications: Bearing Type: ENLOBAL Magnetic Baraometric Bearing. Fan Speed (RPM): 1000RPM. Air Flow (CFM): 44 CFM. Noise Level (DBA): 17db. Rated Voltage: 12V DC. Rated Amps: 0.20A. Power Connector Type: 3pin $7.49
    http://www.directron.com/uc12eb.html

18. REAM

REAM Guest

nice way to go for the OS install. had i the money id have done it aswell :D

cant wait for the 3dmark bench and hopefulyl nothing is DOA when u geet the whoel build done.

19. schpoogle

schpoogle Member

@greensman

Thanks greensman -

I was gone all day, but now I'm ready to plug her in and take her for a spin. Thank you, too, Lp531 - I imagine the first build is always the most uncertain. I'm not even booted up yet, and I feel like building another! Keeping my fingers crossed....

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

hydro x86,
    Don't panic man! LOL!! The power works, it's just the CPU hasn't gotten warm enough for the fan to run. Go in the setup/PC Health and set the Smart fan Control to disabled and the fan will run at full speed. I had the same thing happen to me! LOL!! When it's real cold in here my fan doesn't spin for about 15 minutes on my Freezer 7 Pro! The temp just isn't high enough to turn the fan on and mine has a minimum speed of 800 rpm. It kicks in a just a little below that! Leave it in the CPU Fan header!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.