1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Hey Russ, I figured out the fan thing yesterday, and you were 100% right. I guess between the Stacker and the Tuniq my CPU was staying pretty cool, and because SMART monitoring was turned on, the CPU_FAN wasn't spinning. I turned it off quick in the BIOS, and wah-lah, CPU_FAN is spinning at 2000rpm. I turned it back on now.

I really appreciate the help, besides a few minor things, this build has gone pretty much flawless. I'll post some pics soon.

As big as the Stacker 830 is, there are two things that don't fit and I'm kinda bummed about em. One is the Tuniq Tower not fitting with the giant fan bracket the Stacker 830 has. The other is the Stacker only holds 4 hard drives. There is still tons of room for more drive racks, but they only include 1 rack that holds 4, and I can't seem to find separate racks for sale anywhere else. I'm gonna have to give Cooler Master a call on Monday and see what's up with that.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry for the multiple posts but I was only away for one day and all these posts to answer! LOL!!

schpoogle,
    If your video card has a molex plug or a PCIe power plug try cleaning the pins. If it's a Molex, try a different one! They get very warm and the problem with Molex plugs is expansion and contraction, eventually leading to the problem you are having! The Molex on my older ATi does that every once in a while!
    Yes! The CPU fan header can be controlled by the bios! The others don't matter which fan you plug in them!

shubagh18,
    I have to say honestly that I have never heard of a power connection like that from the PS to the motherboard. I wouldn't go plugging it in until you are 100% sure as it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! There's a 4 prong plug that powers the CPU from the PS and the motherboard gets power from the 24 pin plug. It may be an aux fan header for additional cooling for the PS, so be careful and keep the smoke inside the computer! LOL!!

mphsbelle,
    Are your drives Sata or IDE? If they are IDE then check to see if the jumpers are correct. If they are and the jumpers are set to CS, be sure that you have the right IDE cable as CS will only work with an 80 wire cable! The first plug will always be the master and the second one will always be the slave, automatically! If they are Sata, be sure, and I mean sure that the plug is keyed correctly and try another data cable!

God, I feel like Smokey the Bear stompin out forest fires! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

hydro x86,

Thanks man! I panicked too! ROFLMAO!! In the P-III and P-4 days 3-10 seconds without the fan was about it, before the computer shut down. Especially the P-IIIs. You can imagine the look on my face and the sudden jump in heart rate when I took the side cover off and saw the CPU fan standing perfectly still! LOL!! I think I about dropped a load in my drawers when I saw it! ROFLMAO!!!

I can give you 2 good reasons why I will never buy a Tunig Tower! It's too effin big and it weighs too damn much. If a computer is going to sit on your desk all the time, maybe but it will warp cheap motherboards. If you move it around a lot, all bets are off! LOL!! I know they cool well but unless I had a desktop case, I just wouldn't go there!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well if you have a good motherboard then I don't see why it would be a problem. They do include additional support you know. It's not just push in the gay ass LGA 775 pins, they have backplates also.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I know that, but it still is a lot of weight to hang out there and they will eventually warp any motherboard. Not that it should damage anything on a good high quality MB but you wouldn't want to put one on an ECS! LOL!! I've recommended to others to put a brace on the end of it between the bottom of the case and the cooler like a small piece of wood. I can see it for Sam as he wants a silent PC and it allows him lower temps at lower fan speeds. Truth is, temps are not much of a problem if you have the G0 stepping! For most of us the Zalman 9500 or the Freezer 7 Pro will do just fine! Damn sight less expensive too! I just hope they put a better fan mount on the cooler in the near future, instead of that Sh*t paper clip deal! For that kind of money it should have a solid mount for a 120mm fan! Fans vibrate a lot more when they are not solidly mounted. Don't believe me! sit a fan on your desk and hook it up to a spare molex. It won't vibrate just sitting there but grasp it by the top corners and pick it up an inch and it buzzes like a nest of hornets! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey Russ, I salvaged a 60mm(I believe I cant find a scale to check) fan from an old PC. Do you think I can jury rig it on the chipset heatsink?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I think it would be difficult! It's about 1 1/2 times bigger than the heatsink is wide. Try mounting it with 2 screws and let the fan overhang the bottom edge and see what happens. Be forewarned, the P35 chipset runs hotter to begin with. Even when it's cold in here, the minimum temperature is about 34C, but it will run as high as 42-43C when running Orthos Mines never been hotter even when it's 29C in the room. I tried an evercool Chipset cooler and it didn't work as well as just screwing the 6 cfm Silenx to the top of the stock heatsink! LOL!! I sent it back for a store credit!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Russ,

I've read a lot about the Zalman (9500 & 9700) and AC Freezer Pro 7, heck I've even talked to our favorite doctor about it. ;) BUT what about the Thermalright 90 and 120 ?? I've never used them and I'm looking at the TR Ultra-90A. ;) I've also got an inside track on a Zalman 9700. Heck I may just get the danged thang and call it DONE!!

What do you recommend with a Gigabyte GA-P35_DS3P, E6850, Ballistix Tracers DDR2 1066 and of course 3-5 ODD's, and at least 3 HDD's. ;)

....gm

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You went with a E6850? Will it really give much more of a performance boost? Even at 4ghz you should still not need more than a Freezer 7 Pro, because temps on this thing are exceptional.

P.S. You know whats weird? I still have my E6400 overclock in my sig. I had to work VERY hard to get it to 3.52 Ghz. Now on this E6750 3.82 ghz is a breeze. I can even go up to 4Ghz but I have a stock cooler :(

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@boozer...
    Go get a...COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP HYPER TX 2 CPU COOLER FOR AMD K8, AM2 AND INTEL LGA775 $15 with a $15 rebate...FREE after Rebate...
    http://www.svc.com/rr-cch-l9u1-gp.html
    Similar in performance to a Artic 7 Pro..:)

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's very good, I might order a couple for some new build I'm doing. BTW how much is shipping on them?

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It depends were you live...Remember...only 1 rebate per house or person...

Anybody used software from these guys...AVS4YOU...NOTHING BUT A PACK OF LYING THIEVES IF YOU ASK ME...I am going to slam them were ever I can...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greensman,
    In my case?? Exactly what I've got! Freezer 7 Pro! With a 6 year warranty! It's been good enough for my 3.0/800 prescot at 3.84gHz, My D-940 at 3.71GHz (both heaters), my E4300 at 3.2gHz and now my E6750 at 3.52GHz. I don't need anything more than it!
    Do a bit of measuring inside your case first to make sure it fits! It's huge! It's height might be an issue with a side cover fan!
    Neither the Tunig or the 9700 will fit in my case. The 9500 fits but in testing I found the Freezer 7 Pro to be better!

As far as the Cooler master goes, That's a hell of a warranty they have! Very Rare! So rare that it's invisible! LOL Read on!
    http://www.coolermaster.com/contactus/contactus.php?id=111

Now that's funny! ROFLMAO!! Oh!! 22dBa my ass!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

1. Thanks!! You supported what I've read in many tests and "reviews". :)

2. I think the 9500, 9700, or the Tuniq will fit in my CM-690 case BUT I may just follow your advice. ;) Our good Doctor indicated that the AC Freezer was good as well as the 9500. :D

3. It's true. :D I have one in my present AMD rig. It's the QUIETEST fan in the case. Of course the chipset fan is the loudest with the other case fans being a little louder than the CPU hsf. :D NOW I don't have all the FANCY equipment that sammorris does in measuring these sound levels but my ear tells me which one is louder than the other. :p

@abuzar,
    Cause I can and I helped out a friend in getting a Q6600. :D btw the Cooler Master cpu hsf Les linked you too isn't all that bad. I'll probably start out with it since I have one in hand and go to something else if I have too. I won't go to "water" cause I'm old school and KNOW what electricity and water do when they get together (and i don't care about distilled or de-ionized water....;p). hehehe. NOT GOOD!! :p

....gm

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,

Be sure to read the Cooler Master link I posted! It's a riot! LOL!!

Russ

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its definitely under 25db...I run mine at full speed in my HTCP build...because it is quit enough to do so...
    My Zalman 9500 I run at 1/2 speed...unless I am gaming...because of noise...

I would say the 7 pro is a better cooler...in test I have read between the (2)...the 7 ran cooler by about 2 degrees...however...the testers liked the fan shroud on the CM because it helped to cool M/B components better...

I was just giving abuzar an option to his stock cooler without spending a lot of $$$...

Warranty is 5 years...you really have to look to find it though...I have dealt with CM and they do an excellent job of making it right with there customers...

Personally I would take...the Arctic 7...over the CM cooler...however its Hard to Argue with FREE...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  17. greensman

greensman Regular member

I hear ya Les. ;) That's why I'm gonna use the one I have on hand and see what she does!! :D I've got more than one actually but I'll use the one specifically for the LGA775. :p

...gm

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    You are right, of course, Cooler Master is a good company it was just so funny to read all of that and not have a clue.

I also agree on the Free! LOL!! now where do you find the 5 years! LOL!! I imagine when new it's fairly quiet but once a little dirt gets in there as it always does, it will be a lot louder than the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. I don't particularly like the flush mount of the fan on the cooler as they tend to pack the fins with dust and dirt, at least in this part of the country! Even Sam says that the Freezer 7 Pro was the quietest fan in his case, and he loves his quiet! Not picking on you Sam, you wanted quiet and you took steps to make yours that way and you got what you wanted! Can't beat that with a stick when you get what you ask for! LOL!!

Side note: The other day I got a Dell 3000 to work on and I decided to vacuum out the case. It took 10 minutes just to clean the inside. I pulled the front off only to find that the dust and dirt and packed itself tightly between the front air inlet and the hard drive housing. I actually had to pry it off after I released the two clips that hold it in. The hard drive bay vents were completely blocked and these holes are about 3/8 of an inch! The moral to this story is, if you can avoid putting any computer on the floor, do it! People walking by stir up dust which collects in everything. On carpeting, it is even worse. Mine sits on my desktop and the way I have the case airflow going I get very little dust and dirt inside the case. If it was on the floor, it would clog up everything in a matter of weeks!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Yeah...I read the Warranty page...I was with you...were was the length..:D
    I found it on the Installation booklet...I could not find it on CM's site...for that cooler...some products listed there warranties...some did not...obviously they could do a better job on listing the warranties...on there various products...
    Just saw the Pats Game Score...WTF...I thought the game was tomorrow night...I hate when they do these Off Day Games...SOAB...

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

I saw every play of that game and it was one of the best this season. LOL @ Lp for NOT knowing what day it is. hehehe. :p

I thought today was the Texas Tech game and was planning around that when I found out they were doing some sort of "pre-game" BS!! The game is the 1st and I can't wait... :)

On Topic:
    Thanks for the info fellas. ;) Gonna go with the CM TX2 for now and see what happens. :D

Speaking of sammorris......where is the silly git?? j/k mate, don't let your panties bunch up. :p Just be glad that someone noticed you haven't posted in the last few hours. hehehe....

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.