1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincyrob,
    I think someone with more experience should answer that but I do have WD's that are over 4 years old and going strong. I love the 2 in my system right now.

If I've read right and going from experience here too the drives to trust are Seagate and WD with Maxtor and Hitachi coming in 3rd and 4th.

Like I said I think someone with more experience should answer that question. Mort81, aabbccdd, or Lp531 want to add their 2c.

........c

2. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ LP531

Not sure how my buddy has my fans hooked up, I did not know there was that many choses... My mobo temps are up [maybe he changed fan hook up?] after transfering to this case. So let me get this right I can get a manually opperated controller that gets power from the controller via the PSU?

Cooler....Blue
    5 fans a]rear exhaust b]rear HD exhaust c]top exhaust d] Front intake e] CPU ...really do not need to conrtoll HD fan

Dont care about on/off- but want to be able rise the speed during game playing and etc...

The thermultake armor case does not have doors , but has on each side a small swinging door that about 3" to protect front, but has the clearance for knobs

As for size I have 2ea 120x120x25mmblue LED 1300rpm 17dBA 2ea 90x90x25 1800rpm 19dBA and CPU fan is per sig.

as for same channels, I do not know what you are talking about, maybe my sig. can answer that for you... hopfully this helps

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Rob the "Western Digtal" are the top drives on the market followed by "Seagate"

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Tanks aabbccdd,
    I was going on limited experience and needed someone with experience all over the board so to say. lol.

Now on golf equipment I can field numerous questions and feel very confident on the answer. Any questions? lmao........

.....c

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

man i wish i had time to play , love the game

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sorry for the OT. Will be on next time. lol.

Yeh me too aabbccdd. With 3 kiddies, a demanding job, and 2-4 inches of snow on the ground it's impossible to play that much. LOL. Anyway it pisses me off when I go out there and shoot 37-39 (9-holes) or mid-seventies for 18 when I was better than that this summer. Ok enough of that.

ON_TOPIC....Will I need to do anything special with that new video card? Just plug and play or what? TIA.

......c

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you need to load the drivers you should have software with the card to do that or go to the "Cool Bits" site to do it

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
  8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks aabbccdd... hell i thought seagate was the top dog..lol

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I think Seagate has a better warranty but I personally like WD's. My maxtor 300gb is still clicking along but damn is it noisy.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

lol @ Mort81,
    Don't tell me that I have a Maxtor 300 along with one of my WD's (160) in the old Dell.

.......c

11. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

I'm building my own computer i so far got a XFX GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB PVT71FYHE9 675MHz and a MD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 939 Toledo Dual Core but i need a motherboard to go with it can you point me out a good one please . thank you hoddey

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  13. greensman

greensman Regular member

aabbccdd & Mort81,
    Got the video card in already, newegg rox....:)

To tired to mess with it tonite, gonna install tomorrow. If I have any questions, you guys get ready.......lol

.........c

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

were always here day and night lol

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ all

I need some help deciding which CPU to get, so please tell me the pros and the cons of each chip... I know theres a few that have/had played with both...I will be looking at ordering it Monday!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103002

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2792677&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

What does it mean when a CPU come OEM? I realize no fan, what else?

Thanks- can use all the info I can get- Im just not sure which one to get...

I noticed the Opty 185 has a locked multi and the FX60 does not and the Opty is 1MB and the FX-60 9s 2MB

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  16. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick,
    What is the mobo you want to put this thing in?

I like the FX-60 better but I really haven't messed with the FX series chips. Going by what little specs are available I like it. My buddy has an Opty and loves it but this processor looks GOOD. btw the 185 has 2MB L2 cache too. They both have 2x1MB.

Can't wait for an answer by the real builders. aabbccdd, Mort81, Lp531 let's here it....

......c

Got a question too. lol. What if herrick spent a little more money and got a new mobo with an Intel E6600? You would get quite a bit more performance and be on the edge of new tech, right?? Just wondering/thinking outloud....

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

herrick, yeah there BOTH 2MB cache i would opt for the Opteron 185 being it brand in the box.(thats the same chip i have) the FX-60 at Tiger Direct looks like it may be refurbished being its OEM meaning no fan no box no manual etc. if it were me i would steer clear of that one. plus the Opteron 185 will actually OC better.

YES this is correct if he wanted to spend the extra cash (wouldn't be that much more though)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I am not very familiar with AMD's but with Intel, a retail cpu will have a 3 year warranty where the oem only has 1 year. Retail you get a nice box with intallation instructions as with oem all you get is a plain box and no instructions.

19. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

20. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.