1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm not trying to restart the peeing contest from the last page, but I've already purchased most everything but mobo + CPU. I dont think I'll be able to wait long after release, it was horrible watching my kids play with new toys at X-mas when my Thermaltake Armor tower was setting back in the corner feeling unloved and unopened, in the biggest gift box of them all! If it is $183 its much cheaper than I expected, might have to get some other goodies too!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum,

I couldn't agree more. You reach a point where how fast is fast! Both the E6750 and the E6850 are fast. Fast and relatively inexpensive. If we were talking about being able to get the fastest 45nm quad for say $500, that would be one thing but to run right out and buy an E8400 for just for a 3% speed advantage just to be "first", for a chip with no track record at all??? Maybe the improved instruction set might help some things but it's still a total unknown. I already know that with the right 1066 memory, my next step will be 3.8GHz and I know it will work well for my needs.

Someone mentioned DocTY. Well Doc has taken a more "wait and see" attitude lately, instead of running right out and buying the newest and "baddest" chips. To my minds eye, it all gets to be a bit silly if you let it. Then it does become a pi$$ing contest, and who needs that! I'm very happy and content, with what I have. I'm pleased that other people are getting good results with their choices, but it doesn't bother me in the least that some are getting better results than me. I don't ever want to see a time where I feel that I have to somehow beat them. We're all friends here, and I want to see it stay that way. Friendly competition is one thing but if it gets to be an "in your face" thing, it won't be very friendly for long. I just don't want to see that happen as it has in so many other forums.

Just my thoughts!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    Yeah, I know what you mean. They are a pain in the a$$ to set up the router itself, but once set up mine seems to be fine. I'm using it this very minute. the wireless adapter just plugs into the USB port and after initial installation, it's all automatic and takes maybe all of 15 seconds to be working without any fuss! Haven't had any problems with either the router or the USB adapter.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Oh it's not so much connecting to the network that is the problem. Its trying to stay ON the network. I mean windows(media centre) is telling me im connected but wont load up any webpages. So i gotta switch off my wireless off and on a few times.

Oh and abuzar, what should i be paying for the crucial ballistix(not tracer ver)?

I think i can get a decent deal for new stick on ebay for say £65,(using best offer)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180201428247&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

These are defo the ones to get right?

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I didnt buy 1066 but it is 800 XMS CAS4 , I dont know enough about setting the timings aside from FSB x multi so I lurk the OC forums...
    Is this going to hamper stock speeds if I go with an E8xxx or just if I try ramping it up?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    The CPU multiplier is 9x on the E6850 so at 3.6GHz, your memory would be running at 800MHz with the 2.0 memory multiplier and tighter timings. If it's decent memory then you should have no problems going higher if you want. That's part of the advantage of the higher multiplier as it makes it easier to overclock. The E6550 has a 7x and the E6750 an 8x, which makes them a bit more difficult to get the same results. Even if you decided to run at 4.0GHz, the memory speed would only be 888MHz. For my E6750, I'll need 1066 memory to accomplish the same thing. Either that or 800MHz memory good enough to overclock to 1000MHz on a 2000MHz fsb!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its been awhile since my last post in here...lol,sorry.
    as Greensman knows my build has been put on hold cause of car troubles. but it looks like it might be a good thing with the E8500 comeing outand only $20 more than the E6750 i was gonna get....

i do have a question about sata drives(hard drives that is)

if you have more than 1 do you need to have a slave and master setting.???

Greensman....
    bigwill just got the GA-P35C-DS3R and the E6750 cpu. he just got a 160gb sata hdd. and is getting a 500gb sata HDD.... do these get set as master and slave also?

i thought i heard that with sata drives there is no need for master/slave. but in the manual it shows slave/master...

any info on this????

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    First Happy New Year!

With Sata drives it's automatic. You don't have to set any master or slave. All you have to do is set which one you want it to boot from and you're good to go!

Best Regards,
    Russ (theone)

9. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

So say i have a 250gb drive on its own with the os on it, i can later on buy say a 500gb hard drive, install it and itll be recognised by windows and just be used for storing files(videos and music) and not be affected if windows fusks up?

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Correct. Windows should name it the next available letter, just format it (must) then partition it (dont have to, personal preference) and there you are.

11. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Just of of curiosity, do any of you guys buy from ebay for parts?(new and sealed ones)

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I wouldnt buy anything important like spare computer parts from Ebay, but I did buy my wedding ring from there a few years ago...
    As long as its sealed and seller has good rating. Read the fine print though. Friend of mine thought he was buying the right RAM for his g/f's computer for Christmas, turns out he didnt read the whole page and bought high density stuff which wont help a Dell much. Right size though, I had to explain it and show him what he missed the first time through.

13. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

The seller name of the ring would not happen to be "Platinum Diamonds" would it?

Anyway, ill wait for abuzar(since he has the stuff) to give me the ok on that ebay ram as i don't wanna have my pants pulled down over the price.

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I dont think so but I forget the exact name w/out RRRRRRRRRRRRealy hunting it up, its been a few years. It was a regular business that happened to have a webstore, not just a spare parts trader from their basement. Back on track, that was a good temperature pic you posted a while back of the new Intels, keep us all posted of new news, I'm very interested.

15. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Cheers. Suppose ill just post some other stuff,(old i know but wow)

Intel Shows off Hotrod PC with 8 CPUs and 4 Graphics Cards

[​IMG]

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Harpertown-Quad-SLI-Skulltrail,news-26356.html

But i don't understand this. How can it be quad graphics if it only has 2 cards..........unless it's built in SLI but i thought only 9800gtx was doing that.........oh well.

And the case is just a modified cm 830 right?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think you mean 8 cores not 8 CPUs. Also the Ballistix(not tracer) ram is 92 here. So if I did the conversion correctly 65 GBP is 129 USD. Considering that parts there are over prices a bit I say thats a pretty good deal.

BTW that is definitely the RAM to get. Hell who knows you might even lower the timings to cas4.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

looking around and reading about the E8500 there is no way it can be sold for $183... way to sweet....

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob the E8500 will go for around $266 according to the article I linked too. It's very difficult to believe but the "unofficial" prices are confirming what I've read and heard elsewhere. More than likely I WILL NOT upgrade to the new E8xxx series cpu's unless the prices next Christmas are just to low to PASS up. lol. Heck I might have the urge to build another puter by that time. :p

@ theone and others,
    Thanks for your help and if problems arise next week with my build get ready for more. hehehe. :p

....gm

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    No, but I've been screwed by E-Bay before. LOL!! I'm persona non Grata on E-Bay because when I took exception to buying a laptop and getting a laptop motherboard (complete without the sdvertised 15" screen) and my credit card company withdrew the money, they banned me! E-Bay can kiss my A$$!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I bought my E6400 on eBay for 150. This was back when they were worth 200 dollars. I have to say, that particular CPU was an exceptional overclocker for an E6400. I got it up all the way to 3.52 Ghz! Considering the fact that our family's income comes from selling cars on ebay(even since both my parents stopped practicing medicine) I tend to trust eBay. Hell if someone can trust me enough to buy a 50,000 dollar car on eBay, I sure can trust other people about 200 dollar PC parts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.