1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

gotcha greenman, now I'm starting to see why the goofy difference in prices, cause as it looks like your getting less, when you know where to look deeper you find out you might be getting more, cool.

He-Man, good for you young man. you go for it, hell I though you were a lot older than 16, and thats a compliment, and a Brit at that, oops Scotsman sorry lol, I was in England, Peterborough, last June and part of July, went to see my Uncle who is 86 but still kicking, his friends also took me thru Edinburgh one weekend, I had a great time in England, but man did the place change, the last time I was there was in 66, I think I would freak you out if I told you the difference between now and than.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FredBun,
    That's precisely why I said in all fairness. I wouldn't recommend something like that in about 99% of cases but was just considering your immediate needs for communications purposes. aside from the CPU and the IDE drive, it's pretty much a disposable item! LOL!! It would probably do for your communication needs, but not a lot more. I certainly wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Best Regards,
    theone

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

theonejrs, in no way am I or would I complain, you guys take your time to educate and I ain't complaining, any advise I get from any of you, great, good, or bad, I'm here to learn and listen, be thankfull and complain about nothing.

4. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

:)

These guys are the real masters when it comes to this stuff(or anything) They are gods!

*hopes he has done enough to please onejrs, greensman, REAM and...........yeah go on sam aswell*

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

lol, I agree he-man

6. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Oh please, Greg will be fine. ;)

I don't really like nicknames. Addressing the person by name seems much better. :)

Ill end all my posts with my name from now on,

Kind regards

Greg

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

you got it Greg

8. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

:)

Well anyway, it's 2:33am here so i better be off to bed. See you tommorow.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

FredBun---Just to add my 2 cents, those bare bones deals are really good ways to expose yourself to DIY. The ONLY benefit of purchasing one of those refurbished machines is the fact they already have an OS (Windows) and thats the most expensive factor in a truly budget home build to compete with those prices. If you already have a Windows disc, you have no reasons not to!
    One of my teenage stepsons (the other is an intentional ass cause I'm not his real Dad even though real one hasnt attempted to visit or support him at anything in years even though he's living one town over but I digress) the one really seemed to like helping build a machine and I'll invite him to help when I do my next one in a month or so.

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Deadrum33, you know thats a question I havent asked, I mean if I was to build which I will in the summer, how does one optain e.g. xp, I really dont know where you can even get a new one from anywhere, I do see adds e.g. on craigslist, people sell thier used OS disc's etc. but arent those for particular computers not ones, am I making any sense here?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FredBun,
    Many computers come with recovery discs, especially laptops which restore the computer back to it's original OS and software included configurations. Dell used to ship their home computers with a copy of XP Home, but it would only work on Dell computers, where it didn't require a key number. It seems XP-Professional SP2 will be around for at least another year, as they just released SP3 on Dec 17th and vista has too many problems at the moment. SP3 is free from Micro$oft as long as your XP is validated.

The best price is for an OEM version, which is just the disc with SP2 integrated into it for $133. I installed it on the 20th and I like it! http://www.trustprice.com/Microsoft_OEM_Microsoft_Windows/E85-02665_OEM_/partinfo-id-596374.html

E-Bay also lists XP-Pro, but I don't know that much about buying on E-Bay.

Best Regards,
    theone

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I see what you mean, I even see from time to time xp sales on craigslist, here is one near me, I just hate those words better get now or will be gone, always leaves that used auto salesman taste in my mouth.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/528148965.html

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Remember you said you can't build a good PC under 500? This is better than all those piece of crap Gateways. I added in SATA DVD burner and harddrive. It also has a video card and good RAM for overclocking. Add in that very good PSU and CPU cooler and you have a VERY good deal! After rebates it comes out to 461!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    The link provided doesn't work!

Russ

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

your right it doesnt work, give us one that does please, I got to see this.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

There is no link there. It's just an image...

Can you not see it? I think I've found some pretty good deals. It would such if you cant see this.

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

got it, thanks, tried to paste the damn things to check out further details, wont let me.

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Now add the price of an OS. Price jumps dramatically.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Abuzar1,
    Good selection. The only thing I would do differently would be to change the motherboard to a GigaByte GA-P35-DS3L and spend $30 more. Still keeps you under $500! Much better board with the P35 chipset and has 6 stage power regulation. Only difference between it and my motherboard is it lacks the Ultra Durable, has a smaller Northbridge cooler and only has 4 Sata ports, instead of 8! No Raid!

FredBum,
    Save it as an image! LOL!! It's a .jpg!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  20. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOT bad boozer!! There's a couple of things that I would "change" but the general idea is there!! A C2D computer (tower only of course) for under $500 after MIR!!! Nice.........

.....gm

btw if you did some "shopping" around you prolly could save some money there too. PIA I know but money is money I say.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.