1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you want to checkout the list I'll post it as a wish list. The case is out of stock though! It was free, what did you expect? So I edited to list a bit. You can get the case with a PSU(I know built in PSUs are crap, but this one is good) from tigerdirect.

OK here are the links.

Newegg wish list:
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=9314287

Tigerdirect link:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974454&CatId=2533

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I suppose if you wanted too you COULD change it to a P35 DS3 mobo, but I was trying to keep the budget really tight. The DS3L is not in stock anymore BTW...

EDIT: It seems I was wrong, The DS3L is in stock now.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I don't know where you heard that but it's very unlikely it's true as it's an extremely popular MB with very good sales!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes VERY popular, I didn't mean discontinued I meant out of stock. I just checked though and they seem to have them back in stock. That was the only reason I didn't have it in the list.

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

checked it out abuzar, very interesting, of course I would need some things like the OS, I would also need a reader or an adaptor of some type card or one that fits in one of the housing bays cause I use my sd cards for pics all the time, I would also add a dvd-rom, I quess it would add another at least 200 bucks on that price tag, I didnt see other fans, or were they included with the case I didnt see.

I see this thing going to 7 bucks easy, and yes it would be a pretty nice rig, but if I'm gonna lay out 7, I'll wait a little longer and do the summer time route were I am setting my sites on $1200, in the meantime, I know you guys hate me for this, will end up with one of those crappy gateways, but its all I'll need for now and it looks the only thing I might need to add is another optical drive meaning a dvd-rom and another gig of ram.

But before I go, I will ask for only one more favor, I also checked out my local craigslist, there is a guy about 15 minutes from me selling this rig, please let me know what you guys think, does it sound like a better deal than globalcomputer is offering?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/528740704.html

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    One of the good things about the P35DS3 line is their performance is fairly equal, but as the price goes down, so do the features. Very tough to beat the GA-P35-DS3L for the price though! It has enough goodies where it counts!

Best Regards'
    Russ

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Wow you really think PC parts are expensive! A dvd-rom, some fans, and a card reader would maybe cost 50 bucks. If you look again there is a SATA dvd burner included! If your printer doesn't have a SD card port you can get one for 15 bucks. The case comes with 2 fans, and is a VERY good case. I know, I used to have the same one. You shouldn't need anymore case fans.

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

of course I saw the burner, but I also have a dvd-rom included preference, in my earlier statements I mentioned it, and yes I know I could get one for about 20 bucks, even with what you are suggesting, it will easy be at 7 bills by the time absolutly everything is included.

Look I know you guys hate to see me go this route, I'm saving a build for a better time with better quality for obvious reasons as I stated before, you think I don't know how you guys feel about this subject, I'll give you an example, different time, different machine, but same mind set.

Back in the 60's when we all had our so called muscle cars, we all competed, who can do a better build, who had better idea's, no don't run it with that stock crap, put in a 4barrel carb, or better yet dual quads, to hell with the straight cam, but in a 3/4 cam or better yet a full race cam etc. etc., if you really needed those things or not it didnt matter because it looked better, ran better, sounded better, but the guys with the crappy cars on city streets anyway got from point a to point b in just about the same amount of time as we did, on a race track or finding long loneley roads without cops roaming of course thats a different story, but 99% of the time were on those regular city streets, do you guys know what I'm getting at here.

Do I want one of those speedy super duper better quality built pc that was done on my own, you damn skippy I do, even when I'm ready to build that $1200 machine will I really be using all those extra's on it, probably not, but is sure as hell will be nice to know that if I need it once in a while I'll have it, yeah I still have a little bit of that same kid mentality I had back in the old days, I never want to lose that, it's just now I have a little more patience to wait to do it right.

And don't anybody get frustrated, like I said before, if this thread is still here in the summer time, I'll be picking you guys brains relentlessly, you guys will be screaming, Fred get the hell off and leave us alone, but deep down inside you guys will love it, because its what we do.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ok Fred, it's your choice, but I'll tell you this. Even with everything it wont come out to more than 520 after MIR. If you want to buy that used PC well the CPU sucks, but if you're using it for basic tasks then it should be fine.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

FredBun...OOPs,thats a no-no never call a Scotsman a Brit..Just ask Sean Connery..Same Continent,different Country.Remember the Movie Braveheart,Scotland broke away from England
    No disrespect but Scottish girls like to Fock,and British girls like to Shag.

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

lol, ok thanks for the reprieve abuzar, but when you mentioned a crappy cpu, did you mean the last one I posted from craigslist, or the others from globalcomputer, or all?

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The craigslist one has a P4. They never were any good, their AMD counterparts were so much better. Also I don't like the AMD dual core CPUs, because their Intel counterparts are so much better! lol

I don't see why you need a very powerful PC though. That craiglist one should do if you're just gonna burn stuff, and watch movies.

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

rick5446, lol, you think I don't know that, you saw how fast I corrected myself and let it lay so others could see my correction, I learned a lot when I was there over the summer, as a matter of fact, I will be going again this summer, I loved it, except you guys prices, wow, like a pck of smokes, 10 bucks, I almost shit myself, ok better get of about this before we get hollered at by a mod for getting off the subject lol.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

FredBun..Some things can't really be talked about on these posts.But if U PM me & give me your E-Mail address,we can talk a little deeper on some specifics.OR E-Mail me rick5446@hotmail.com
    P.S Do U have Winrar,& know how to use it.
    I D/L & Watch ,through my Computer on my TV with a nice 5.1 speaker system.I had my cable service turned off for this reason.Just couldn't see paying for something I wasn't using anymore

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

you got it rick, no problem, I will do so tommorow cause I'm gonna hit the sack now, and before I go I want to thank everybody for thier help and support. Later U.S. guys, and cheers U.K. guys.

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Fredbun
    Its good to see you here...
    Now Friends...Don't Let friends...Buy XP...I can take care of that particular Issue..}:)
    Give me a day or two...and let me work a little Voodoo...all the killer sales just ended...but they will be back...I'm pretty good at stretching a buck..:)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    What does it say if you let them buy Vista? LOL!!!

Just Funnin,
    Russ

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Vista is for your Enemys...or...In my particular case...My Neighbors...}:)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FredBun,

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1861/frednh5.jpg

Everything you want for $558.88 with $30 MIR including Tax and Shipping. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard. I personally use the NEC DVD Burner and the Asus DVD-Rom and use them for all my customer builds. There's no advantage to Sata for these other than not having the flat cable, which makes little or no difference and can be changed to a round cable in the future for cheap. I've used both in the very same case and the temps remain the same, as does the optical drive performance! The Thermaltake Power Supply is what's in mine and delivers solid Nominal voltage under full load, it's quiet and stays cool. It has more than enough plugs for everything. Nice Cooler Master Case w/2x120mm fans! Memory is 2x1GB Cas4 w/4-4-4-12 timings. Internal Card reader, plugs into one of the 4 available motherboard usb headers. 160GB Sata 3.0gb/s Seagate Hard Drive and decent Video card. Dual Core E2140 w/cooler. Stock cooler works fine for your needs.

Better than any refurbed Gateway for less money! For all you get for your money, it's a pretty solid computer that will be a lot faster than what you have now. I don't see how you can beat it for the price. I could have gone even cheaper but I wanted to keep the quality up and maintain certain standards of good quality components throughout!

All this and support for the 45nm CPUs as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Quick Question..While we are on the subject of WinXP...I'v got a clean copy of WinXP without all the service packs.Now am I better off without the Service Packs,or with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.