1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REAM

REAM Guest

DEFFO with sp2. id say buy xp sp2, caus it'd take FOREVER to update the thing, with all the last 7 years worth of updates!

after sp2, all the random BSOD and crashing had stopped, and gaming perforance ad increaced over 98SE.

(which i am sure with sp1 for vista being release will do that same. the people that crap over vista now, as i did, probably craped over xp when it came out, as i did, until it matured.

thanks Greg, if you think im knowledgeable, but i still know i have a long way to go. i dont think i have the knowledge of sam, or theonejr etc. (dont be pissed if i didnt mention names, i just wanted to keep the list short :p)

oh, and is there a way of changign your login name? caus id like to.

wait infact, im making a new one.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

here we go... my real name

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I may make a new account, oh and about an OS....... i have a torrentleech account so i am sorted.(if anyone when they build there new build and need an OS, ill gladly send the torrent file)

LOL at my openness to piracy.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  4. greensman

greensman Regular member

He_Man.......ok. ;)

Hello to shaffaaf.

@Fred,
    Did you get some things sorted? I know that Russ gave you a good link to a possible build. I know that you want to wait and you should for the right reasons. Can the computer you now have make the next few months?? If so then stick with it and L@@K at the deals available when you decide to build.

I think it's silly to settle for now whether you're building something or buying a built system. jm2c on the matter. ;) IF the system you're wanting to purchase now will be used later then by all means go ahead but beware of the stuff you buy. ;) I still think the link to the E6300 system would be a good one for now and serve you for some time to come with little problems. Again give it some thought AND don't sell yourself short when it comes to building. IT's EASY!!!! lol.... ;P

....gm

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have to say the build Russ linked to would be better than the one I posted except for the case and PSU :)

I would seriously go with what he had up there and with the case form tigerdirect.

6. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Ah damn, was gonna get a real bargain on a gigbayte 3d aurora 570 case..........at £40..............within seconds of ending it shot upto like £75.......... :(

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ebay?

i personally think that case look horrible, but then i hate Lianli case look as well. hehe

oh and talking about piracy is fine. esp if you go to the console threads. just you cant link to a torrent, but you can link to the site. PS i use torrent leech aswell, and i pay for it. worth £17, for the 200+ GB i have dld. :D

8. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Yeah it was ebay mate. I liked the look of the case and the fact it was "tool-less". Looks like ill go for the antec 900 then.

Oh and if torrentleech still allowed invites, id have let you in for free. :)

Torrentleech is down atm, they are getting new servers(AFAIK)

I always max out my 520kb(4mb) connection. :)

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Get a Thermaltake Armor case. I love it! Seriously it's got the looks and it's pretty spacious for good airflow.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

He_Man..Keep us posted on invites to torrentleech I've been tryin for 6 mons rick5446@hotmail.com

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't think you're supposed to post your email on the forum. Anyway what is torrentleech? How fast can you download Crysis? It's going sooo slow for me. Downloads on Azureus usually go about 300 kB/s for me, but Crysis is going around 30!

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Let's see (ill dl on my bitsoup account)

Im getting 150kb but on Bit, id max out my 500kb line on TorrentLeech. So we are looking at about just under 3 hours id say. Oh and utorrent is "1337". Azureus looks nice and stuff but its a system hog.

[​IMG]

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well it's downloading right now. I'll switch to utorrent faster it's done. You know with my computer I honestly don't really have to worry about system hog heh.

EDIT: What does torrentleech do to make it so fast?

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Members!! lol.

....gm

I guess this deals with computers and maybe building if you are worried about memory and speed to a degree....... :p

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i dont think the antec 900 is too good.

id say go with either the LianLi PC7+ or the thermaltake armour Jr. they are in you price range.

also, i have an account for torrentleech, and i chose to pay, caus i could not be arsed with uploading. i have limited HDD space anyway (160 GB), so i keep putting things on disc. i have to agree with the quickness. i have 16Mb broadband, but only 12.5 gets down my line, and torrentleech uploaders let me dld at 1.6MB/s

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>

yh im pissed of there servers are down aswell. needed to finish dlding the last 4 seasons of friends...

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

He_Man,

the antec 900 is not truely tooless. if you want a truely tooless case, go with a mid to upper level cooler master case. for example the mystique and centurion are both good mid level cases and are truely tooless.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

greg, the thermaltake tsunami was AMAZING aswell, look out for them.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah the Armor Jr. is a good choice if you're not wanting a full tower case. As for me, I'm never getting any case smaller than full tower!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446 & Shaffaaf
    If it's the 2002 version like mine, without any service packs, it must make a difference as to what kind of computer you install it on! I've never had any problems. I usually install it, add SP2 and then the motherboard drivers. It doesn't seem to slow down anything for very long updating. I usually turn on Automatic updates and let it do it's thing and when it finishes all that I set it to notify me first before installing anything.

I've only had 3 BSODs on personal machines in my life! 1 from a failed hard drive that went belly up during the boot. 1 from a hardware conflict on my P4 Prescott and 1 with the first P35-DS3R when one of it's VRMs bit the dust. I had about 50 with the "Motherboards from Hell" when I built an E4300 for a friend on the "Infamous" Asus P5N-E. I say the plural because it took 3 motherboards to get one that would work long enough to complete the build. That's how I wound up with my first ever GigaByte motherboard, a GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 1.33! Great move on my part! Gigabyte Rocks!

Shaffaaf,
    no offense, talking about piracy is not fine, at least not here on AD. They will suspend and even ban you here for doing it. This thread is just to good, to see it closed down, so Please!!! Don't!! TIA!!

Abuzar1,
    I only recommended the Thermaltake W0093RU Rev. 2.0 PS because I've been using it everyday for quite a while and it's light years better than the Rev. 1.0 it replaced and is a very good power supply. You'll note that almost everything I put on that list for Fred, I use daily and have had no problems with. That's why I chose them, experience with the recommended products! That and it will run any socket 775 chip ever made to date, and beyond!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

20. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I know this is quite a random question but is anyone here a wiz with Visual Basic 6?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.