1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

WE are so far OT now it's almost embarrassing. :p

Russ you really shouldn't hide your feelings like you do. Get it off your chest and you'll feel so much better. hehehe. ;P

boozer sent you a PM..........

...gm

ON TOPIC
    Remember when I said something about my DDR RAM in my AMD rig. I think that I've narrowed it down to a driver problem, specifically nVidia drivers!! wtheck is that all about. Anyway I'm looking into it right now and I'll get back with you guys later...

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I've been to the Middle East a number of times and I've seen first hand what you are talking about, and I do sympathize with you on what you speak. No one should have to live like that! Did you also know that over 1 million American Children go to bed hungry every night because their family doesn't have enough food to feed them properly? All these rich people and that includes the high ups in our Government, have the power and the money to do something about it and they don't! Our Government is well on it's way to being as crooked as the people in power where you come from. All the legislation they pass is designed to cover the businessman's butt. If I write you a $1000 check and there is no money in the account or the account is a phony I will go to jail for a lot of years if I can't satisfy the check! I will be arrested! If a Business writes you a check for $1000 and there's no money in the bank, they won't even arrest them. It becomes a "Civil" matter and you have to pay a Lawyer and sue them! Whether you win or lose depends completely on how good your Lawyer is compared to theirs! Not right and wrong! I'm very glad to hear the Mr. Gates and his Wife have helped people that you know, but we have an old American saying. Charity begins at home! Thinking about those 1 million kids that go hungry every day, I think Mr. Gates should do something about that as well. maybe if he did, people here would appreciate him a bit more than they do.

By the way, Mr. gates did not spark a change in what rich people do with their money. Many good people here have done as much or more over the years. They just preferred to remain anonymous about it while Bill Gates and his Wife told the world, in a press conference! I will however take into account what he has done for your people and I will respect him personally for that from now on!

Best regards,
    Russ

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well he actually hasn't done all that much for Pakistani people. Most of that money goes to India, or Africa. Africa seems like a very good way for a lot of people to get PR these days doesn't it?

Now on topic. That case mod is the sickest shit I've ever seen. Seriously that's AWESOME. I didn't read the whole thread though, I just skipped to the last part lol. He must have put in so much time!

I hope he wins come awards and money for that thing.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

WOW is all I can say. :D I would like to know how much time it really took that guy. I'll agree Lp!!

....gm

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It took 15 months...The guy is a professional model builder for the movie studios...just the design...and all the elements it has...is Unreal...
    I believe...Newegg ended up buying it...and gave it away as part of a contest...
    Someday I am going to Make Something Like it...But...STAR WARS Themed...I love Model Building...I'm pretty good at it too..:)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Bitchin! A labor of Love, for sure!

Russ

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

ROFL...Youth...You missed all the good stuff Boozer...:)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Boozer! Go back and read it all and be sure to check out the videos! It's freekin Awesome!

Someone, please tell me why Youth is wasted on the Young? ROFLMAO!! Us old guys should be enjoying it! LOL!! We've earned it! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I know its a long read...but man...Is it Sick...All the little things he did...The steam coming out of the vent pipes...the spot lights made from aluminum valve stems...The door display screens that change color from open...to closed...
    This case is in a league of its own...never seen a computer mod that detailed...and well thought out...
    I've seen models that detailed...but not a computer mod...I have had a subscription to Fine scale Modeler for decades...I've seen some Insane Stuff in there...

The Guy literally wrote the Book...On Case Modding...Here it is...I think I'm going to get one...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...1534463-9036968?ie=UTF8&qid=1108486419&sr=1-1

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I will go see the videos. Right now I don't want to use the internet too much as Crysis as ALMOST finished downloading. Unlike the people here I don't have super accounts like torrentleech and have to make do with 30 kB/s.

Just stickin' to good ol' isohunt.com.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I use Bitcomet .70..Ya can do a Google for older Versions..I have the options set at 35 max# D/L & U/L 200kB..I get upwards of 500 kB D/L
    Movies take 2 to 3 hrs,TV Shows 1/2 hr to 2 hrs
    Full 4.3 DVD can vary Bladerunner Directors Cut took 5 days,does not really depends on seeds.As I've had a lot of 0 seeds 0 leeches W/Good speeds

Ive never got U Torrent over 40,50 kB..don't know why..I've tried 1/2 doz diff. times
    These are excellent sites
    http://www.rlslog.net/category/movies/
    http://eztv.it/frontpage.php
    http://www.torrentz.com/
    Sorry for off topic..BUT Hey !!!

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Cool I'll try that when this gets done. BTW what do you mean # 35 for d/l?

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

(35) maximum number of connections that can download at one time...
    Upload speed set at 200kb...

That would be my assumption...
    Lp...

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hi everybody, got a chance to come back a minute, did read last several pages since my last post, really some intersting stuff, anyway, just to update, I did order the gateway, remember there was 4 I was intersted in, well 3 were all sold out but not the one I was really intersted in
    www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2912738&Sku=G153-GM5259E

that one was still there, man those pc's go like hot cakes, I knew from past expericnce helping my neihgbor get one they do go fast, so in a way I was lucky the one I wanted was still there, and I know you guys are probably pissed at me for making that decision but for now its the best for my needs, the build I'm saving for the summer.

But I will tell you this, theo (russ) sent me the link for his recommendation, I really did like that set-up, my son who is going back to school in rochester tommorow, if I knew about all of yours and thoe's idea two weeks ago when he arrived for the holiday I would have definatly made an order than and probably for sure would have had all the parts before he had to leave, oh well aint gonna cry over it now, I'm already saving a lot of your idea's, actually have been for a while now, I could probably fill a cd from my favorites folder from all the stuff you guys have been posting for months, by the summer all those products might be outdated lol, will just start a new come summer if have to, regardless, thanks for all the info from everybody.

You guys mentioned Billy Gates there a while back, oh man dont even get me started about him.

I did check that bestcase site, wow, that was some unreal shit man, I mean this guy has to be MIT stuff, mechanical engineer etc. the outside build was mindboggling, but what I would have really like to see what was inside that pc, we old farts dont care much about the looks anymore lol, we care about durability, ease of use, etc.

Abuzar, I confirm, I to want a full tower and will, Lp531 after checking about that book on case modding, I found other books, e.g. I found computer modding for dummies that looked really intersting and will probably order it before I make an attempt for my build.

Greenman, you got it partner, I will be keeping in touch, and yes I learned a lot last couple of days.

When that gateway comes in, I'll let you guys know how it goes, if it was a good or bad decision. If on arrival if everything works I think I'll be ok, other wise, till summer time baby, watch out, lol.

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Fredbun
    No one will be Mad...except maybe...theonejrs...& greensman...those guys are both...Real Hot Heads...}:)

All of use here...keep up...on all this stuff anyways...
    I see you got XP Media Center as your O/S...I would install My Movies...and take advantage of the Media Center portion of the PC...It is really nice for Cataloging all your Media...

In my opinion...All houses will eventually have Media Center Computer's...It is Inevitable...
    My Movies...
    http://www.mymovies.dk/

I use Peerguardian...for protection...
    Azereus as the down loader...
    The Pirates Bay and ISOhunt...to find the torrents...
    I would definitely be interested in some of the...Invitation Only Sites...If anyone has access...I pretty much Down load everything I can...
    Yo...Ho...Yo...Ho...a Pirates Life for Me... :)

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha, ahoy matey! lol

I just started d/l The Bourne Ultimatum. Man it's taking forever. I think it might be because I have cable and it's vacations and everyone is on the internet in my neighborhood. Once everyone goes back to school everything should be faster.

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

EEEyyyeee Matey...Me...and My Parrot...Just Finished...
    I am Legend...
    Charlie Wilsons War...
    A vs P Requiem...
    The Great Debaters...
    No Country for Old Men...
    3:10 to Yuma...
    Hitman...
    National Treasure Book of Secrets...
    30 days of Night...
    American Gangster...

Most are DVD Screener's...Love Oscar Time...All those Screener's for the taking...}:)

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How is the Quality on I am Legend? I think we're getting REALLY off-topic. I'll PM you.

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

DVD Quality...It's from a DVD Screener...I try to avoid Cam's if possible...
    As for off topic...I used a Computer...and this thread is probably the most on topic thread on this site..

The Mods Hardly ever Interfere here...I frankly...Can't remember the last time one even posted in here...who simply...wasn't wanting Help...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.