1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

@mmz
    well like I said that $20 PSU might die soon, or even die and take ur mobo with it. Better replace it soon, I would be so pissed off if that $20 PSU killed 5 months of savings.

@everyone else
    Well for a budget you could upgrade to some cheap socket 939 amd's but then you won't be able to upgrade more since AMD's current socket is am2 so the max you would be able to get is a FX-60 once prices drop. I would recommend core 2 duo, the $400 e6600 is toe to toe and beats the FX-60 in almost all the brenchmarks. Plus it overclocks like crazy with the right mobo + RAM combo.

2. mmz16x

mmz16x Member

well i had the option of getting the FX 60 but i decided that 200mhz for an extra 150 was not worth the cost considering the new intel chip is faster it would be stupid to waste so much on a cpu that wont go down in price for another year at most 4800+ is a fx 60 jus 200mhz slower well thats my thoughts o and jus OC the 48 and walla a FX 60 is born lol peace all o and ive run this 550watt cheapo psu for 8 months np but 34merik you are right i am running a risk but atm since i have three pc's at my disposal 1 my beast 1 my sisters and the 3rd my ol trusty server p2 asus board im fine i use the p2 for everything speed matters lil quality and stability are what make a real pc purr

3. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

well i dont really care about a media center case. what about the DVR aspect? do i need a separate card from the 7300 for tv tuner? Also I wanna be able to use a remote control for the system.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

your right, but you could say that a 4400 is a 4800 with 200mhz less as well. both will oc up and i would guess looking at your specs that it would run at 220mhz (hopefully if your ram is upto it) without the need to change any other settings (bar the cpu/pci async) but this is a topic for another thread.

if, in the future, you want to upgrade i would look at the opterons as they overclockk like a muther :)

@forumcrew
    yes you will need a sperate card to recieve and record video/tv. but there are a whole host of these available, which you can plug cable, satalite and an ariel into them then watch, record or stream it with your pc. alot of these also come with a remote control as well.

as for which is best to go for...i cant help, as its not somthing i keep upto date with, but im sure somone else can. if not here maybe you can find another thread that someone else has started with the same question (search bar on the threads page) or start your own thread, which might be better as new things are released every day.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

u know intel and AMD name there cpu like 4400+ or 6600 etc...i got my first 2400xp i thought its 2.4GHz but its only 2.0GHz...and 3100+ its only bloody 1.8GHz...WHY its it like that...........

6. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

@GTR35
    alrite I'll brush you up on a little bit of history on why AMD's are named like that.
    Back when P4 were out, they had high clock speeds that AMD processors couldn't reach like 3.4ghz. Don't take me wrong, the AMD's were more efficient though so something like a 2.6 ghz Althon 64 could compete circles around the 3.4GHz P4.
    The average consumer didn't know about efficiency though. To them they thought getting the higher clock speed would mean better perfermance even if it's from different manufacterers. So AMD's market was really bad because they only had around ~2.2GHz while Intel had around ~3Ghz. So that's when the marketing guys thought of a name for their AMD models so people would have a better understanding of how fast their processors were.
    Lets say for example, the 3400+.
    The 3400 represents the intel equivalent of 3400mhz or 3.4Ghz. That means this processor is the same or about the same as a P4 3.4ghz.
    The + represents that it's an AMD processor. I think the + is just marketing.

They also had althons and semprons. The 2400+ was meant to compete with the P4 2.4GHz and the sempron 3100+ competes with a 3.1ghz celeron.

The AMD name maketing is kind of outdated now because duo core and core 2 duo came out. Because a althon 5000+ is suppose to be an intel equvalent of a 5ghz P4 not a 5ghz Pentinum D or Core 2 duo. I would only use this system to compare to P4's or among other AMD processors.

I think that's about it, I'm in a hurry so there is a lot of mis-spellings and stuff, but I think what I said is understandable right?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oooooo...ok i c now...why they do that...so my sempron 3100+ is like celeron...ok i c thnx

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it will urinate from a great height all over a celeron, sorry but it will.

my semp 3400+ @2.41ghz benchmarks higher than a 3.2ghz pentium. ok its oced and the p4 will go higher, but how many celerons will bench higher than an athlon?

i realy would like to know as i cant seem to find any bench results for the celerons to compare with.

my 3dmark06 cpu score - 927 points

9. woodTHING

woodTHING Member

ok i wanna upgrade my system a lil i was thinkin of goin for a new mobo and processor. im a lil bit on abudget thought like between $250-300. i went lookin on newegg for some stuff and pulled these off http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115004
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813135026

the reviews of them look good but if theres nething better i could get for around the same price ill prolly go for that. and i also wanted to go for a sli board

l8tr days

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

Really I am nobody... But the old athrons rocked [well so does the next '64'] but the semprons in my opion are weak and are designed for the mases- I had a athron 2.2 and w/ out knowing ran it at 75% heat... my God for a 6 mth time no Intel would handle that- ran daul screens and many progrms.... I laugh now but I really did not know intill WELL someone helped me LOL the old athrons are worth keeping- they are power dogs, where the semprons in my opinion where desiged to do different- but they lacked ...unlesds you OC

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  11. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

Yea I was really planning on getting an Althon 64 X2 but then Core 2 Duo came out. Ask me 6 months ago and I would've said AMD was the best but now I would say Core 2 Duo because they're about the same price, but the performance is killer plus they overclock like crazy too.

@marsey99
    Well that sempron is like a 3.4 celeron and overclocked, I would guess it would be at around 3.9Ghz celeron. But I don't really think it could beat a 3.2 P4 w/ HT. Maybe but once you overclock the P4 the sempron would lose that's for sure. I am curious though, you should get PCMark05 and post a screenshot.

12. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

Oh yea I forgot, if you're willing to wait for a little bit, you could get AMD's quad core over Intel's quad core. Theoretically, AMD's quad core is true quad core while Intel's is just two dualcore dies on a chip (or something like that) so AMD will get the perfermance clown back later.

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

ya I would argee... Itel has the upper hand now... I beleive AMD is holding out due to... WELL WHO KNOWS LOL... but really I am loyal to no one... The best for the lest- is my moto!!!

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hahaha...i just want a new rig...that i can play games and media on wif no problem...but it looks like Intel can cure my problem...

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

yep... so far spec's speacking Itel will do... but you never know when the botton will fall- paid $365 for my chip... two mouths later or so, Itel came out with their stuff and my chip went to $185- could get cheaper if I really looked now, but thats how it goes-Damn wish I had more money LOL

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ya...i want a rig that can last bout 5 years...or maybe 3 years before i upgrade it again...

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes that case looks cool...it should be able to cool ur rig down to -2c...

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i edited a few posts on page 2 as the page margins were out, then i found a couple malformed newegg url's. as you were people :)

20. mmz16x

mmz16x Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.