1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

good evening guy.. i just wiped clean my 100gb HD put window xp home editon on it.. had a few small problems with it but i got it up and running good.. i go to install nortons 2007 on it. i put the disc in the drive the install window opens up. i see install nortons, view disc and exit. i click on install nortons and the drive spins up, nothing else happens...i did before i had windows working properly started the nortons install and the system crashed in the middle of the install....

any idea here????

thanks in advance.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hoddey,

That case is very similiar to my old case, It was an antec too. Although overall a descent case, It is quite heavy (not aluminum) and is not truely tooless as you do need to screw rails to the optical drives and mount the hdd's with screws. A cooler master or thermaltake case would be a better choice imo but then again that is just my 2 cents.

I still don't understand why you're going AMD instead of Intel core 2 duo.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

cincyrob, nortons really a sub-par program i had many problems with it. go to "My Computer" double click the drive that norton disc is in and it should start up or install the free avg or avast. till you get it sorted. Trend Micro ,NOD35 or Kaspersky are the way to go

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

@cincyrob,
    I agree with aabbccdd, you can do better than Nortons. AVG Free 7.5 is good or Avast is ok too. I use AVG and have been very happy with it for about 3 years. Here is the thread with some of the free computer protection items.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257

Good stuff give it a try....... :)

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the link there greensman..thank you to aabbccdd.. you guys are great with all this info..

6. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ greensman

My mobo and all my equip. are per my sig. The reason I do not go for E6600 build now is easy $$$$$ the prosser will run about 364.00 w/ tax... If I go the other way- you are talking money for a new mobo and new memory...I cannot trasfer my memory over- thats a $260.00 loss. It is cheaper for now to go w/ the AMD, then wait for tne end of this year to build the E6600, by then most of the up-dates and patchs will be worked out for this new stuff...happens every change over LOL [spend $365.00 or $1100 + or-]

@ aabbccdd and Mort 81 thanks for your input..

Took some time getting back to ya...went to the ER...have two bad teeth, face swelled up like a basket ball.Then the 80 gig was put to rest, and that turned into a bunch of drama- still loading programs.

Will put off the CPU for now- I do believe the dentest is going to have a good month.

Thanks again everyone

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

herrick, hope your doing better soon

also the AMD 939 sockets CPUs aren't probably going to last long. so some food for though

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007
  8. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ aabbccdd

Did not see the fx-60 at newegg, but did see the Opty 185- How much of a differance do you think Ill see from my CPU that I have now? [Ithought you had what i have now before you up graded]

I notice that the opty 185 has a locked multi and the FX-60 does not...read this in a review what does it mean?

I really want to know how much more gain will I see from what I have now?

Also thank you for your concern... been putting my teeth problem off for awhile and now paying for it- hate doctors glade they are here- but do not like visiting them- spent to much time and and money... not to mention flesh... LOL [been shot to many times in my youth-was not the sharpest pencial in the box]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i OD(ed) my Opteron 185 to 2.87 GHz with no problems using the same mobo you have. so i did notice a difference between the Opty 175 and the 185 i have now . not a huge difference but you can def. tell. i am not sure on the locked multi sam or JR would know

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ aabbccdd

Thanks bro...

@ all

Anyone else like to share some insight on my gain from my sig. to a Opty 185?

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick,
    Sorry to hear that your teeth hate you right now. lol. Get better soon buddy.

I may be able to absorb some of the $$$$ if you want. :O I would be willing to buy your 4200 dual-core if the price was right. I've been looking for a cheap way to ente into the dual-core cpu for some time now but I've been unwilling to go all the way. Not unlike yourself. lol.

I will build late this year, God willing, a new Intel Core-Duo system. I just can't stand it anylonger. lol.

...........c

12. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

@All...
    Quick question...should i always leave my new build on, day and night, or is it better to shut it down when not in use.
    Thanks

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

shuboy00, its ok to leave it on all the time but you need to reboot a few times a week at least

i myself shut mine down when i am not home ,overnight etc.

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ greensman

PM me about the 4200+ Dualcore... I will get back to you as soon as I can, Ill be in and out of my apt. today

15. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

16. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

Thanks man...I will do the same...no need for it to be on at night unless I am running something.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok dumb question here. whats the difference between windows vista 32bit and 64bit???? what actually does that mean to a dummy like myself?

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

@cincyrob,
    Don't worry about it rob, you'll never be able to afford a machine that will run a 64 bit OS. lmao......

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,111508-page,1/article.html

Man I'm just funnin ya. Here is a pretty good article that may explain some of the questions that you have. Hopefully some of the guys will kick in here too. :)

edit: cincyrob you're not a dummy just not educated or informed about everything there is in the universe. LOL. Me neither btw. rofl.....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

damn!!! i want one!!!!!...lol nice artical there greensman

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thing of it is that theres next to no software that is true 64bit and only farcry(that i know of) that will run in 64bit.

i tried the free trail last year for the xp64bit and there was next to no drivers out aswell so i had to use generic ones for my driver and printer which didnt work all to well.

its a great theory and when software catches up it will be a must have.

i hope the new vi$ta 64bit os will make more software houses support it.

edit

on the oem thing.

retail your warenty is from amd/intel with an oem its from the place of purchase, so the timescale of it will depend on that particular shop/e-tailer.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.