1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I just checked a number of old heatsinks I have laying around (for what, I don't know! LOL) and all of them draw air up through the cooler! I know that with the old Athlon and Athlon XPs they do a better job sucking the air out of the heatsink and I used to reverse any I found blowing down and it cooled better and stayed much cleaner! Some day I'll try reversing the fan and turning the cooler 180 degrees with a Zalman 9500. It just might cure the 9500's biggest flaw, the little "Vs" that get crammed with crud packed in there like a friggin carpet by the fan! Oh well, whatever works!

Hrdro x86,
    You are right, the Tunig Tower is not passive. Sorry for the mis-information! Dumbness on my part! LOL!! The Thermalright Ultra 90 is just a hair taller than the Freezer 7 so it should fit your case if it's 8 inches wide or more, even if you have a side fan!

BTW! What case do you have your Quad in? Maybe I can make some suggestions on improving your case ventilation, as I'm pretty good at doing that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. navskin

navskin Regular member

sammorris

i have got a 500 watt psu but for what i need it for it dose me.
    That graphics card not very good tho so i am getting a new one at
    the weekend i am going to get a nvida 8600gt and the asrock mobo i dont
    tink it is that bad if you know what i mean , a few of my friends have the same mobos and they have not had a problem atall. but i would like an asus one but i cant afford it. lol i am only 15 what do you exspect from me lol. i ant even got a job. would like some feedback tho on the rig any good or what.

thanks

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Update on 45nm processors and pricing,

[​IMG]

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    This is what I mean by down ward firing flower design...here are (3) coolers...that exemplify the concept...the fans fire down towards the CPU...while pushing the air out in 360 degree pattern across the M/B components...This design helps eliminate cooling dead spots...in the case...and particularly on the M/B components...
    http://www.svc.com/cnps7000b-cu-75.html
    http://www.svc.com/ixc-120c.html
    http://www.svc.com/cl-p0391.html

This is the cooler I am thinking about...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835133009

After looking at the spec's closer...the zalman is heavier...so it probably has more copper...its shorter...and smaller in diameter...so should provide more clearance...however the fan on the icecone is probably better...It definitely pushes more air...Its kind of a toss-up between the (2)...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theone: Interesting. So the frame of the fan was facing outwards?
    Navskin: Er no, it probably doesn't. Just because it works now doesn't mean it will work tomorrow. Cheap "bargain" units can and do fail at any time. Even if you're upgrading a small component, I'd recommend replacing it unless it's a decent brand (Antec, Seasonic, Corsair etc)
    It is very likely that when you install those new parts the PSU will go up in smoke, often literally, and that can take your other components with it.
    It happens often, it's not just a one-off scare story. it's happened to both me and theone, and it happens to almost everybody before they realise what pieces of dung cheap PSUs really are. They're positively unsafe.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If that pic is accurate by the time they come out, I'm thinking Q9450 in my price range. My original need to build was for editing HD video and encoding DVD's (most often with DVD-RB) so that should help.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

he-man, i was about to do a nice sub £700 build from aria, when i checked, and they are really really understocked. firstly alot of stuff is out, and they dont have much of a range. scan and OcUK have a huge range of items to choose from, aria, although cheap, have little room to chose from.

[​IMG]

thast my shot. the parts are good, btu im sure you can getthem cheaper else where. im just showing this for the parts, (before sam starts:p)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is the one downside of Aria. They're a smaller retailer (although because of that they have better customer service). OcUK employ just as many staff for 5x as many orders, hence the poor service from them.
    Please stop using them for the Corsair HX 520W. You're wasting £20 straight away with their stupid price.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I think you would get more benefit out of the Zalman 7000B-CU as more of it is exposed to the cases airflow, which should help cooling. The product has a much better following as well and the company that makes it has been around a long time and is a very respected name as far as it's computer products go. I would be very Leary of the Icecone because it's already quite clear to me that they mis-represent the product in saying on their website that it fits AM2, when all three reviews complain about being stuck because it doesn't. With only 3 reviews available and all are negative I would be very hesitant about purchasing one

I make part of my living by re-working designs for miniature air turbines that require a great deal more efficiency in their airflow than any cpu cooler and I can see that while this may be a good looking product, it's a poor design imitation (Knock Off) of the 7000B-CU and not near as well thought out. The fact that they chose to enclose a good portion of the cooling surface with a plastic ring, where Zalman has not with an almost identical design tells me that the efficiency of the cooler is just not that good! Just my opinion of course, but I see many flaws in the design and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The 7000B-CU would be a far better choice!

Sincerely,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've read the page and nowhere can I see it says it supports AM2. It says it supports 940, which is not AM2! AM2 may have 940 pins but it's a completely separate system.
    As for the 7000B, it's alright, but as the poorest performing of all Zalman's heatsinks, I'm sure there's better out there.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Oh ye of little faith!
    http://www.nmediapc.com/IC.htm The install instructions are there that show installation for the K8 & AM2. Bet you didn't notice where they start out hinting very strongly that they will compare their product to HeatPipe coolers, but somehow, past that statement, never get around to it. I stand by what I said as they totally mis-represent the product! The Zalman is the clear winner here!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's pigeon english. Need I say more?
    I also retract the following previous statement:

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What's this about Pigeons? I had to let my Pigeon go today :(

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    On this side of the pond, we call it Gobly-Gook, or a fancy way of implying promises that are never really made or meant to be kept! A bit like that CPU cooler that sat on a little ball contraption that was a total flop about a year ago. Someone posted an add for it here. I believe it was about $15. Here's a helpful hint to all that may have been interested. It didn't do the job back when it was first introduced. Some fly by night company bought it and now is selling it at a bargain price. Same exact product! Does anyone honestly think that it somehow improved itself by sitting unsold on the shelf for a year or more? ROFLMAO!!

I would avoid doing business with any company that promoted their products that way. It's just less than honest!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What I mean by pigeon english is this:
    They puport to be an american company, but the website says different. Sure enough:
    Headquarter:

18/F., Podium Plaza, 5-7B Hanoi Rd.

Tsim Sha Tsui

Hong Kong

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of false advertising! LOL!! I have to give them an A+ for how they spread the BS to make it seem believable. They must have contracted with Bill Clinton's Ex Spin Doctors! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    You will never see them at those prices! It's just BS! Maybe after they are out a while, but when they hit the shelves, I'll guarantee the prices will be much higher!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah remember the 8800GTs 200 dollar price? Look at it now.

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah 8800GS and the powerful 9-series is coming out in Feb, thats why all the 8-series are cheaper now

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"powerful" 9 series. Everything I've read suggests it's going to be a pretty minor upgrade, just enough to make sure nvidia keep their performance crown. Let's hope they've included PS4.1 and DX10.1 support in this card, or I'll still be telling people to get 3870s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.