1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

I can't see how NVIDIA could justify the extra what £300 for a graphics card that will maybe just do Crysis abit better?

Heck, 2 3870's with the crossfire patch will do some good stuff.

Oh and the bad state the economy is in atm has been reflected in my build, i just logged onto dabs/bt shop to see that my corsair 520w, 3870 and case had all went up about £6 each.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

IMO a single 3870 is good enough. I don't think the cost is worth it for Crossfire. An extra £150 for the card and up to an extra £100 a year in electricity bills, for what?

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

geezus christ!!!!

i even said, you can find the partsd cheaper else where, and the list is just for the actual parts, not price.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The new 9 series cards are just two G92 512MB cards in SLI in a one card solution. The only difference is that they have one gig of ram while normal SLI doesn't double the RAM. If a game doesn't support SLI it will be like having half the normal power of the card, that is if SLI scales a 100% which it doesn't.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

shaffaaf: Sure, but you appreciate my point - why use them if you don't recommend them?
    Abuzar: Sound familiar? 7900GT->7950GX2. 8800GT->8900GX2.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys i got a question.

i got a 320gb WD hard drive. have it partion'd 160 and 160 2 halves.

i took it out and put it in another system. new mobo and all. it is only reading 1 side of it not showing both sides. why would it be doing this?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You might need to assign the second partition a drive letter. Check in diskmgmt.msc (type that in a run box)

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I mentioned the 7950GX2 but that post got canceled and I didn't feel like writing as much the next time lol.

Also are you sure you make two partitions? Or did you just make one partition and left the other space unused and assumed it would just become a partition? You could try to pop in your windows CD and see if it lets you name it.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok let me say this right...lol

bigwill68 is building him a new system..he is useing his IDE 320gb hdd.along with a new 160gb sata drive.in his old system it saw the 320 as 2 drives 160 gb each and it was partition'd in the old system.and showed it as haveing 160 as drive D and 160 as drive E.

but he took it out and put it in his new build and it is only showing 1 side of the 320gb instead of showing both sides.

someone at microcenter told him he had to put it back in his old system and make it 1 drive again. then put it back in the new system?????

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah, that goes w.o saying. also i am sure 100% that it was two 7950 mobile cores

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try to get individual parts. If you're gonna do your PC in the summer then its useless to look now.

The cosmos is a very good case. I would rather get the Thermaltake Armor case buts its 3 pounds more and is out of stock.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    If the operating system you installed on the new drive is the same as the one on old drive, it may not see the first partition of the old drive. You can easily set up dual boot, but they have to be different operating systems for it to work. Not 100% sure on this but that may be the problem.

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

deadrum, yeah thats how I got my add, of course I got mine from globalcomoputer.com, but tigerdirect is the same company as global, dont know why they do it that way, anyway it just seemed kinda of a good price I think, cause we I do build I do want a quad core.

Also he-man, I dont know if you were asking me about this case cause I am far from giving advise on computers, but I'll tell you this, that is really a nice looking case, I did find it on our amedrican site newegg.com, they always have great pictured details, I put that bad boy in my fav folder quick, I do want a full case, well build dont care if its gonna cost a little extra money, I do want a sturdy case, easy expandable, easy to work on with plenty of room, and I love the handles, I think every computer should have a top handle, this is one case I will be looking at closely come summer time. Other than that, what do all you other guys think?

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

19. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

After wathcing a video review the only downfall seemed to be the way cable routing behind the mobo was bad, but that depends on your setup.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    They are $200 at newegg. it looks like a well designed case. I don't much like the plug-ins on the top as the ports will collect dust, but if your environment isn't like mine where dust is a major problem, then I think it's a good deal!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.