1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I did read a review at your uk site, one guy did say he had some trouble wiring cause the case was so tall, these are things I'm learning to make sure whatever I get fits my build to the T, but if that is a problem so to speak, is that major or can it be remedied quite easily?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah except for the fact that the Thermaltake Armor, which is a same kind of case, is a hundred on newegg which the cosmos is 200. I personally prefer the Armor, others may prefer the Cosmos, but it doesn't justify a hundred dollar difference.

4. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

If restriction in cable length was a burden, some extension leads will be good. Good thing about picking a high end case is that no matter what you upgrade, you can keep it. :)

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

abuzar1, can you explain what is the difference, armor and cosmos

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    One of the things I like about my Thermaltake W0093 Rev. 2.0, is the cables are long enough to be neatly routed around just about any case. I don't like modular with the plugs, as more often than not the plug connections break down from constant heating and cooling over time. The ones with Amphenol connectors seem to work the best. I just stow the unused cables in the top 5.25 bay and they look neat, yet are out of sight as it's a direct line to the top bay. I split up my two optical drives with an empty bay between them to allow better cooling of the drives. I put the DVD Burner on top (3rd bay down), and the DVD-Rom in the very bottom bay (5 bay case). My case fan controller is installed in a blank in the very top bay and the one below it is empty! This way even though My computer is on my desk, I can still see inside both drive trays when they are open, and it's not at the top where there might be trapped heat. Works very well and the long leads are very easy to tuck out of sight so it all looks very neat! more than enough of the various plugs to go around too!

The W0093 Rev. 2.0 has turned out to be a very good PS with Active PFC that seems to work well in conjunction with the DS3R motherboard as my Vdroop from Idle to full CPU load is only 4/100 of a volt maximum, and all my voltages remain at nominal levels regardless of the load. It's extremely quiet too. For once a power supply that's much better than it's 70% efficiency rating! Just stay away from the Rev. 1.0 as it's a horror show!

He_Man,
    I very much like the features of the cosmos case. I'm not a big window case fan, as cooling usually suffers a bit. The Cosmos is well designed and well thought out and is one of the better looking cases on the market. The "wind tunnel" for the video card is very good idea too! Keeps the heat away from everything else!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ I couldnt find any info on the Thermaltake W0093 your talking about, can it be found on newegg, cause I couldnt find it

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

very nice ps russ, I also like the idea it says its quite, thats another thing I will be looking with a build, I dont want nothing noisy, fan's ps's whatever, also what did this one guy mean by his con.

Cons: Only has 2 cables of molex connectors with a daisy-chain of 4 molex and one floppy connector on each one. Would of been better to have 4 cables of 2 for cleaner cable routing if you have a side window in your case and to maximize airflow. This way you could tuck the unused ones away.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

IT WAS THE SAME 'OS' but the side that the new systems does see is teh side that had the OLD OS on it and was wiped clean. the side it dont see just has about 40gb's of movies saved on it. just storage.

the old hard drive was partion'd on a old P3 system with different bios,and is now in the new build (GA-P35C-DS3R mobo,E6750 cpu) the guy at microcenter said the newer bios wont recognise the partion that he had to put it back in the old system and redo it

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    He doesn't know what he's talking about, so I doubt that he really owns one or maybe hasen't used it yet! LOL!!. The cables, as he complained about are long and the connectors are as he says, but the spacing on them is just right, and if you use your head, (DUH! A little common Sense) it's very easy to hide the excess ends. What I did was use the connectors nearest the PS and then tuck the ends away between the Optical drives. It's far easier than the explanation! It also at a very good price with the MIR. One of the side benefits of actually owning one and useing it every day is being able to tell others just how good this PS really is! This is exactly what I mean when I say there's a difference between cheap and inexpensive! Are there better power supplies available? Certainly there are but at a considerably higher price. I can vouch for the quality of this product and it's been in use daily, for about 9 months now with no issues! Buy it, you won't be disappointed!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

good one russ, that ps page went right into my fav folder

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Lets make this simple..Thanks CincyRob 4 stepping in 4 me on this Problem..

he explaned well as possible..

here it is..I had and old p3 system..i'll builded along time ago..I just tore it down to get some parts out of it..I was gonna put the new board in it but..I changed my mind not to..I went with a clear case instead..ok in the old..system..I split the the hard drive in 2 on the C:\ side..I put the OS. Windows Xp Home edition) now on the d:\ nothing there but Movies now. ok I took the Wd 320gb out put in over in the new system it's a IDE hard drive.I got it on a IDE card that on my pci slot and it only showed 1 side of the drive where the Os Was..so I wiped that side Clean Formated it..completely..It's only showing 137gb's on that Drive now..The Tech over at Micro center..said..I had to put in back in the old system to Deleted that partition off the drive because of the Bio's on the old board only reconize that it is partitioned to 2 drives C,D..Now..I done tore the old system down nothing left but a empty case..How can i make it a whole 320gb drive again on the new system.i got the E6750, Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R board combo ,2gb ddr2 corsair 800mhz 240pin, cas4.Ii just need some help figuring out this problem..thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If it's only showing 137GB that just means you need to get windows XP SP2 or SP3 nowdays.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it does have XP sp2.had XP pro corp. editon took that out thinking that was the problem

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    Download and use Killdisk2 and wipe the partition and then format it directly from windows. Shouldn't have a problem as I have done that many times!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

theonejrs a little help where do I find Killdisk2, Googled and came up with nothing. Thanks Chris Duh never mind damn MS keyboard spelled it wrong knowing it wasn't the two fingered typist!LOL

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

Thanks Sam for the link. I was a bit busy and figured he could Google it. I should have said just killdisk! LOL!!

Thanks again,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.