1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So 26dB would be difficult to hear right? Then how come I can easily hear the FM121 at it's 20.8dB speed?

Well, all I know is, my ears say different. Since I'm only doing this for the benefit of my ears, that's all I really care about.

Do you think we should sticky the differences between the GA-P35 boards? How many times do we get asked? LOL

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L:
    No raid, heatsink not as good.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R:
    Only has DDR2 support, has better cooling than the L version.

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R:
    Same as the GA-P35-DS3R, except it's more expensive due to completely useless DDR3 support.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

We all know that your ears are the benchmark from which these PC REVIEW testers get their info. lol. On the other hand you're right you selfish little git. :p It's what the individual consumer (pc enthusiast) gets out of the experience and if they are HAPPY.... ;D If you're happy that's fine but DON'T expect everyone or anyone for that matter to get the same satisfaction from the product you LIKE. ;) LIKE Russ for example: He swears by the Silverstones! I've never tried them but I might later on as well as the Nexus or Noctua fans. The more you read and learn the more you're able to make GOOD decisions for your situation. :D

....gm

More later gotta take the oldest to BB practice. :D

4. Slayer665

Slayer665 Member

Was up i would just like to know if there is any amd processers over 4.0Ghz

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not stock there isnt. but im sure can OC the new phenom 9600 2.3ghz to around 4.0... not sure on that one

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Two things.

1.No stock AMD CPU over 4Ghz.

2.AMD Processors suck anyway. Get an Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad. Whatever fits your needs. GHz don't matter these days unless you're looking at the same kind of product.

For example GHz matter when comparing two different Core 2 Duos, but GHz don't matter when comparing AMD X2 or the Core 2 Duo. Their architectures are completely different so even if one has more GHz it doesn't mean it's faster.

EDIT: I seriously doubt that the Phenom can do 4GHz. On modest cooling a E6750 can do 4GHz but not much more, and I don't think Phenoms are better overclockers than Core 2s.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The silverstones aren't noticeably bad for quietness, but they're not up to the top standard of other products - because they're designed for a ridiculously high top speed, running them at such a low comparative speed means they often won't sound as smooth, and indeed they don't. The bearings hiss far more than those of Fluid dynamic (Scythe, Noctua) or Sleeve (Nexus) bearings.
    If you're stuck between Nexus and Noctua, go with nexus. Having owned both I can say that while Noctua fans have an exceptional airflow to noise ratio for about a week, after that the bearings start to whine, and while they're not loud, if you start noticing it, you'll probably never stop noticing it. I certainly didn't, and eventually they annoyed me too much, and I put the Nexuses back.

Slayer: no, but clock speed is completely irrelevant these days. The 3.0Ghz 6000+ is the equivalent of a 5Ghz+ Pentium D if such a thing existed, and the 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo E6750 is as fast as a 6Ghz Pentium D, that's before you overclock it. It's not all about the clock speed, it's about the architectural design.

@Abuzar: lol you'd have trouble, that's when the PC gets shut down for overheat!

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Now imagine now much faster they are then P4s. Yet I still see P4 "gaming PCs" with a 6600GT on craigslist.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Not at all! It's just a question of how loud the background noise is and how far away from what you are trying to hear is. Also your ears are a bit directional as well.
    The quote you took that from was for abuzar1, and if you go by the advertised numbers for the Scythes vs my own Anechoic Chamber tests it is a correct statement! The Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F runs at 1600 rpm and puts out 63.7 cfm and makes 28 dBA of noise doing it! The Scythe SY1225SL12M runs at 1200 rpm, puts out 68.54 cfm and makes 24 dBA doing it. I'm at 24.8 dBA and 73 cfm at 1400 rpm. Close enough for me! It's a known fact that some noises bother people and some don't. With me, it's extreme high frequencies! Stuff that most people don't hear at all. Proximity sensors and motion detectors drive me crazy and actually hurt my ears sometimes. Dog whistles do it too!

I never said that the Silverstones are the quietest fans, but for most people they would be more than acceptable. One thing you can't take away from them is how well they perform and the lower noise they make at reduced fan speeds! Obviously noise bothers you more than it bothers me. my computer will never be as silent as yours, and most people do expect a computer to make some noise. You know, "sounds like a computer"! LOL!!

I had an old Athlon here this morning that had one of those old type OEM CPU coolers with a 90mm fan on top and an 80mm case fan and whatever was in the PS and it was annoyingly loud! Way louder than mine is! Compared to the noise I had with the previous fans I've tried, my computer is now much quieter and the noise it does make doesn't bother me in the least! We both probably spent as much money getting where we wanted to get to, although I was able to sell what didn't work for me. You are happy with what you have and I am happy with mine. It's just that most people are not that interested in a "silent PC", or what it costs to have one!

EDIT
    I quite agree about the bearing hiss. It does go away after a while of running and is mainly caused by the bearings needing to be run in to the races. Once that has been accomplished they are quite quiet. Sleeve type bearings, including fluid Dynamic bearings have their own flaws as well. The one big thing ball bearings have over all the others is, once bedded in their speed remains remarkably consistent with very little drift in speed so the noise you do get is at a steady frequency so it's much easier to get used to as it's always the same sound. It's funny! Everyone that comes here for the first time notices two things. All notice my Sceptre widescreen and drool over the picture quality, and all make remarks about how quiet my PC is! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for me, bass hum I can live with. Roaring of air and mid-frequency fan noise I dislike. Hissing I can't stand, and that's exactly what the FM121s do, as does my PSU fan unfortunately.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Count me in with those people who don't really care about noise too much. The most I'll do is that I'll try to get something with a bigger fan so it makes noise but that's about it.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guru's i got a temp question. temp for your cpu that is.. what should be a standard temp you would want it at?the CPU being the E6750. on the GA-P35C-DS3R mobo? the last temp on it was 41c is that high? should it be cooler?

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How much do you have it overclocked? If thats the load temp on the stock cooler I'd say it's about right for the stock speed.

My CPU idles around 30C at 3.6Ghz with a stock cooler. We have the same setup.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that isnt under any load other than AVG running. and its not OC'd
    he has a coolermaster heatsink on it and its running at 1528rpms(thatswhat it said in the bios)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    cincyrob's is a GA-P35C-DS3R, yours is the same as mine, a GA-P35-DS3R!

Cincyrob,
    What CPU cooler are you using? What do you have for case fans. How much difference is there between the core temps and the CPU temps? 41C seems a bit high, regardless! Sounds more like the MB temp rather than the CPU. What are you monitoring it with? Older versions of Everest before V. 4.20 don't properly support the P35 chipset and what is actually shown as the CPU is really the chipset!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, I realized that but they are essentially the same except for the DDR3 support. I don't think our temps would be affected by that.

Also if thats NOT idle, NOT the stock heatsink, and NOT overclocked then it is definitely high. Either it's very hot where you live or your case ventilation is screwed up. Or you could have put too much AS5 on the HSF.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry, Brain Fart! LOL!! Incorrect information! My thanks to Sytyguy for pointing that out.
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the cooler is a cooler master not the stock one that came with the CPU. there are 3 80mm blue led fans that came with the case.the case is a artic clear uv case. as for the temps your talking about i dont really know..He(bigwill) was looking in the Bios at the temps it was showing there for the CPU???

heres the cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103013
    here is the case he has
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148001

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The case doesn't seem too good as far as cooling goes. The HSF is only a bit better than the stock one. Did you install the HSF? Did you clean off the old thermal paste on the CPU?

BTW just out of curiosity why do you post for bigwill?

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I normally do not post here, but your statement is totally out of touch with real world experience, and you should know better.

It has been documented at the Hounds, if you recall!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.