1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

LMAO!!!!! well for one he is working right now.(we work together)..lol two im just as curious to find out myself so i can understand this for when i go to do my buildin the near future. 3 he's a good friend of mine and just like to help out..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well Rob(I'm assuming here) who installed the HSF? I think it just might be that you didn't install it right and that's why you're getting the high temps.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well first of all let me say...bigwill68 and I are not the same person...lol look at our profiles..lol for 1 will is of the african ameircan type and im of the native american type..lol we both are here laughing our azz's off...

will was the one who installed the HSF. and he did just say he didnt remove the old paste from when he had the factory HSF on it when he put the newer HSF on. so that there could be the cause of the high temps....

edit to add:
    plus will cant get online at home right now seeing his puter is in the build process. and he is takeing the version 1 back tomorrow and getting the version2

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol I didn't say you were the same person. I said I was assuming your name is Rob because your username in cincyrob, so I'm guessing you're Rob from Cincinnati?

Anyway since he didn't remove his old paste that would definitely increase the temps. An inexpensive way of cleaning would be to get some alcohol and wet a coffee filter and throughly clean BOTH the HSF and the CPU, and use more than once coffee filter lol. When both are clean apply a thin line of AS5 along the two cores. Make sure you align it with the two cores. On the GA-P35C-DS3R it should be left to right. Then just attach the cooler securely. Move it a few degrees left and right to spread the paste.

Remember more is NOT good in this case. Contrary to what many people believe thermal paste is NOT a good conductor of heat. You want the thinnest layer possible because you want the heat to move quickly from the paste to the excellent conductor called metal. If you have more paste then more heat stays in the paste and heat up your CPU.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

YES im from cincinnati..lol. ill relay the message about the paste.. actually ill print this so he can read word for word when he goes to do it...

you guys are a great help. and there will be more questions im sure

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

OMGorsh!!! I about PISSED meself....hehehe!!!

That's a big NO NO!!! Be sure to clean off all the paste on both the CPU and HSF when you redo the cpu cooler.... I use alcohol but others use acetone or Artic's Cleaner stuff... ;) Be CAREFUL not to get that goop on anything else, you know on the underside of the CPU.... :D

....gm

EDIT: OMGosh again!!! I just looked at the cpu cooler you chose and you could have used the STOCK cooler and saved your money!!! If it were me I would pack that baby back up and get your money back and get something else more worthy. I don't mean to offend Rob (will....you guys twins???) but you could have done SO much better. lol. ;P

Rob (or will) PM me!!!!

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha the cooler they choose is not a BIT better than the stock one. They would have done SO much better by spending 7 more dollars to get the Freezer 7 Pro.

As for the arctic silver cleaner stuff, alcohol works just fine. Don't know why people want to splurge out for that. Every penny counts :)

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

EDIT: OMGosh again!!! I just looked at the cpu cooler you chose and you could have used the STOCK cooler and saved your money!!! If it were me I would pack that baby back up and get your money back and get something else more worthy. I don't mean to offend Rob (will....you guys twins???) but you could have done SO much better. lol. ;P

@Greensman
    on the fan part..i feel the stock fan was junk it kept popping out the holes on the board,plus the hold down clamps was'nt no good..on the fan got now..i like it cause it got the back plate you put onn the back side of the board.so i it is'nt going to fall off..lol.anyway..i gotta tair down the system tonite after.i get off work and return the board back to micro center and try the ver 2.0 and thought this ver 1.1 in there face cause in a defect and bad board..lol.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Like I said before you would have gotten phenomenally better performance with a freezer 7 pro. Doesn't matter now though. Just make sure you don't screw it in too tightly or you'll kill the CPU. Make it snug but not too tight.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    It's not even as good! With no A/C available in the front of the house, I overclocked Gina's E4300 to 3.0GHz with the stock Intel cooler and it worked just fine, with temps in the very low 30s! It has a lot more copper in it than the Cooler Master! I shipped it without the CPU cooler and she installed an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro when she got it!

Best regards,
    Russ

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Who is Gina? Everyone seems to know her.

I was just going off the reviews on the website with people claiming 5C drops in temp compared to the stock intel cooler.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Gina is a sometimes member here from the Chicago area who first was going to buy a ready-made computer, as she was afraid to attempt a build on her own. I offered to do it for her if she would purchase the parts, and I did. That's the one with the "Motherboards from Hell" I was speaking about a couple of weeks ago. Three motherboards, just to get a good one is not a good batting average! LOL!! Incredibly, I was going to do a build with the same Asus P5N-E motherboard for my own E4300 until Mort81 asked me why in hell I was going to after all the problems I had with Gina's. Between that, and DocTY's help in locating a good price on my first GigaByte MB, I wound up with a very nice E4300 build.

The problem with reading the reviews is weeding out what I term the "Idiot Factor"! People that haven't got a clue as to what they are talking about! Or people who don't even own the product yet. It takes time to be able to learn to weed all of that out and get to the meaningful reviews. Frankly, some people make all sorts of claims for products that are no good all the time! A lot don't even overclock their PC, so they don't need that much to begin with. Go back and read some of the reviews for $29 power supplies and you will see what I mean! LOL!!

A while back I did some extensive testing between the Arctic Freezer series and the Zalman 9500, on three different platforms I had on hand at the time, and posted the results on another forum. For each platform tested the Arctic was the clear winner, not by a lot but still better! You would have thought I had insulted someone's Mother as the protests rolled in. I heard things like, "It's all copper, it's got to be better"! Well it wasn't! Then again, I don't like any round cooler because of all the dust here! It quickly gets trapped right at the start of all those little "Vs" inside the circle and grows like a carpet as it's packed in by the fan! Pain in the a$$ to clean too!

The point I'm trying to make is if you read all the reviews at the time, you would have thought that the Zalman was the superior product by far, yet my testing showed otherwise. The 9500 is a very good cooler, but I still don't think it's better than the Arctic Freezer series so since I use one, I recommend it. Had I gone by the reviews alone, I would never have bought the Arctic. See what I'm getting at? You not only have to read the reviews, you have to develop the knack for spotting the ones that have no meaningful information and weed them out. You know me well enough to see that I speak my mind and call things the way I see them. Sure I make mistakes, but you've never seen me not admit it when I am wrong!

I just made a mistake in a post to you about the AS5! I'm going to delete the post as soon as I'm done with this one! You can put too much AS5 on the CPU to where it doesn't cool well, and I should have known better. I just didn't follow exactly what you were saying and made a mistake. Sorry about that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Shame on you Russ!! lol. You can't make mistakes and expect us to "let" you get away with it. :p j/k...

I'm in the middle of this build so I may not be here much the next day or so. ;) Just installed the CPU and about to attempt this cpu hsf. lol. I'm not sure I like the "attaching mechanism" compared to the skt 939 "clasp"....lol.

Wish me luck you lot!! ;)

...gm

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Don't know if you will get this but I'll try anyway. To install the cooler the trick is to hold each corner down so it mates with the MB and with the clips rotated and pulled up so it locks, push in one pin at a time cross corner. Usually the only reason one falls off is because it was forced on wrong with the pins down which skins the plastic so it slips out easy. I've never had one fall off yet!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your cooler's any good at all, at stock an E6750 shouldn't idle above around 38C.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Had to take a break so checked the PC thread. ;)

Thanks Russ...to late but I figured it out all by me self. I still don't like the mechanism but hey you can't have everything. ;)

sam,
    How bout an E6850?? Just checking... ;)

.....gm

BACK TO WORK!!!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Hmm! Abuzar's idles at 30C and mine idles at 29-30C. Both of us use Arctic Freezer 7 Pro coolers! Since the AS5 has cured, I only hit 42-43C while Encoding with DVDRB/CCE. Orhtos gets me all the way up to 53-54C.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

My E6750 with a AF7 cooler and the AS5 paste is currently running @ 27C, but normally it stays around 29C.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, you're not paying attention lol. I'm on the stock cooler, but I'll be getting the freezer 7 pro soon.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I do have to say though, what are your load temps? A temperature is nothing but that unless it's problematic, and unless you have serious problems you're not likely to encounter any issues other than at full load.
    My idle temps are 36, but my full load temps are only 42. As for orthos, that's a whole different animal, I think I reach around 46 with that running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.