1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Good morning guys, my Gateway finally came, will let you guys know how it runs as soon as I get the chance to set it up.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My load temps sometimes go over 60C.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, see that illustrates whether you've got proper cooling or not. I don't use C1E so I'm bound to have higher idle temps than everyone else.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

RIGHT!

i found a case that ticks all my boxes.

black exterior AND interioir

Cable management.

Side window

Good cooling

THE ANTEC Twelve Hundred

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=359

hopefully its under £100

i cant wait for it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I know you are on a stock cooler. I was just pointing out your's and my idle temps. Mines at 25C at the moment, but it's 72F in here! LOL!!

sammorris,
    I don't use C1E anymore. I don't like the way it works on this MB. It's more like speedstep as it changes by demand rather the either 2.6 or 3.52GHz

shaffaaf,
    Could you do us a favor and use the Direct link for a pic that big. It knocks the screen out of whack for anyone with a smaller 4:3 screen. I use Image Shack and just post the Direct link so it only opens in it's own window! Thanks! Here's what I mean!

Here's my temps and stuff at the moment!

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8073/temp25ccd4.jpg

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, saw that ages ago and thought "want" - still not available yet though is it?

The 900's also getting a remarkably similarly-styled competitor, the NZXT Tempest.
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6440/ceskickoffparty200812cx8.jpg
    NZXT are also making a vast new top-end full tower chassis seemingly aimed at the watercooled Triple/Quad SLI market:
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5251/cs831x1mt0.jpg
    http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8613/cs831x2ml1.jpg

Some seriously tasty stuff there, although the latter will certainly not be cheap.
    Images courtesy of CES shots - Retell, Community Admin, NZXT Lounge

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

WEll if that doesn't make you want to go buy an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro then I don't know what will. lol.

I've been looking for "alternate" coolers if this CM TX2 doesn't do what I want it too. L@@KS like the AC Feezer 7 Pro is gonna be me next purchase!!! Come on payday!!! lol....

Hey sytyguy...how are things?

....gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just thought I'd post my temp experiences:
    E4300 @ 3.15Ghz, 1.4V
    Freezer 7 pro:
    100% fan speed (loud): 40C idle, 47C load
    70% fan speed (typical PC case fan noise level): 43C idle, 51C load
    55% fan speed (quiet): 47C idle, 58C load
    Ultra 120:
    120mm fan @ 700rpm (silent): 36C idle, 42C load

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Good, but very busy. I was hoping to start OCing this baby today, but it looks like it isn't gonna happen.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my next cpu hsf will be a thermalright ultra 120 extreme. I'm not going to bother with putting one on my current rig though which is idling right now at 34 C (pretty good for an E6600 oc'ed to 3.6ghz).

I'll wait and use one on my next build, which I won't even start buying hardware for for another 6 months or so (already have the CM stacker 830 evo case). I had an unexpected bill show up which has to be taken care of 1st :(

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ouch, how'd that happen?

Funnily enough, I use the Ultra-120A, not the extreme version as from where I got it, it was half the price (only £7 more than the Freezer 7 pro usually is!). The Extreme may be good to knock a ºC or two off for the extreme overclocks, but if you can find the standard Ultra120 for cheap somewhere, I strongly recommend you take them up on the offer. Hehe, at the same fan speed it gives me lower temps on my overlocked Core 2 Duo at full load than my Zalman CNPS7000 does for my X2 stock at idle!

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's almost like comparing apples to oranges though. I don't consider the cnps7000 to be in the same ballpark as the cnps9500 or cnps9700. it's an ok hsf for stock speed or very mild oc (better than almost all oem hsf's) but I would never recommend it to any extreme oc'er like most here.

sounds like me and what I'm looking for :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Either way, I paid just as much for it as my Ultra 120, and it's not exactly a stock heatsink!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Just keep in mind that it's huge and heavy! I've converted to inches and Lbs. and it's 2.5" deep, 5.20" wide and 6.32" tall and weighs a whopping 1 3/4 Lbs! It would barely fit in my Cooler Master Cavalier case (8" wide) if I removed the side fan!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It fits in my NZXT Lexa with around 15mm clearance from the window.
    The Lexa is 221.5mm wide. The Coolermaster Cavalier is 202mm wide, as is the centurion, so if you're a coolermaster owner you may have issues. The Stacker series is 227mm wide, so it will fit those.
    The Thermaltake Armor is 220mm wide, and the Antec 900 206mm - a very close fit, but the Ultra 120s do squeeze inside.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

First things first....Hello MOrty!! :D

Let's be fair Mort.... I think a good comparison would be a 1970 BOSS 429 Mustang to a 1975 Pinto. They're both cars and get you from A to B but who really wants the Pinto for extreme driving and speed??? LOL.

sam you might better understand a Porche 930 slantnose and a Mini Cooper....hehehe. :p

NOW dangit!!! I'm so under KNOWLEDGED when it comes to most of this but GOOD hsf's are all over the place. Did some more GOOGLING because you guys aren't helping.....hehehe. It seems there are many GOOD coolers out but you have to know where to look. I don't!!

Zaward makes some good ones, of course the Thermalright brand are good. ;) From what I've read the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is pretty danged good too.... :D There's just to many GOOD coolers out there to say, "This is the best, get it and it only!!!"

I agree with Russ tho. The more I look at the Zalman 9500 & 9700 the more I DON'T like the wedged fan design. I live in West Texas and you all know what goes on around here... ;)

Alright an informed and solid argument needs to happen for the GM to be able to seriously look at another COOLER for this monstrosity he's building. lol. :p

...gm

edit:
    Forgot to mention that I've got a Thermalright 90 to install on my AMD rig (got it for cheap)

Rob you don't need that monster....lol. $200 anyway??

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i dont need but is is sweet lookin...

that antec 1200 looks sweet also.....

i like the antec 900 but it only has 2 5.25 external bays... need at least 3 maybe 4....no not 9 like some of the drive hungry fella's i know...lmao

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heck to be honest, im pretty handy with wood working and i work where they sell plywood,hardwood,laminate ect.... i could just make/build my own case....lol dont think it would be to good for airflow

edit to add:

didnt mean to double post.....

has anyone seen LP531 around?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I took a good look at it and frankly, I don't like the design! The only way I could see it doing a good job would be if you pointed the exhaust side towards the side cover, and you can't do that! The direct touch doesn't look like it would work very well, given where the cores are located in the CPU. I can't say I much care for the aluminum heat sink block either. I think it would be a much better cooler if the heat sink base was a traditional design and made of copper. It simply doesn't cover the cores very well and how much heat is that aluminum block going to transfer?

Take a good look at the design on their site and you will see why I would have concerns. Newegg hides the fact that the base of the heatsink is grooved for the pipes, with open areas between the pipes and the heat sink base. In my opinion it's a poor design that could easily be made better!

http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-hdts1283.php

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.