1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar
    The wood case I showed has complete guides that the builder posted...with all measurements...so you can do it...as a build it yourself project...

The guy who designed...it has since...started manufacturing them in limited numbers...the guy was in design school for furniture when he came up with it...he was since started manufacturing...limited edition custom furniture...so...it is now commercially available...I have the link somewhere...I will post it...once I find it...

Here he is...Nick Falzone Design...
    http://www.nickfalzonedesign.com/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Since it's a custom work and it's basically art it's probably gonna cost a crap load too. Some of us could probably afford it *NuckNFuts* lol.

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It could be built for...what ever amount you wanted to spend...the material could literally be FREE...it does not have to be done the exact same way...with all the custom joints...I would make one out of distressed looking material...it does not have to look like...fine furniture...I put it up...just for ideas...not to be replicated to a Tee...:)

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No I meant if one was to buy it from him.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

You did one last night too?? I'm finishing mine up right now with the same case. ;) Been taking pics all along as well. I'll post links of course but the case isn't too bad except it isn't TRULY TOOLESS. I like it tho. Good case I think. ;)

....gm

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

the Thermaltake Armor is a good looking case i like the looks better than the new Antec 1200 which seems no where to be found as of now. heres a copile pics though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Heres the Pic's...not done yet...need video card and optical drive and fan controller...and the wiring needs to be cleaned up still...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Con's ...Intake Filters on the front and bottom fan...I could just remove the bottom filter...had to Razor knife out the front filter...

The side door is to thin...the fans on the door are to close...the door is warped...it pops...and flexes...

The location of the power and reset buttons are horrible...located on the side and bottom of case...the same with the top accessory panel...to far back on the top...I wish every thing was on the face and at the top...

The rear blank slot protectors are not held tight...and rattle like crazy...

Pro's...Lots of 120mm fans...

No Window...

The tooless design allows the use of screws as well...I personally Do Not Like Tooless Case's...they never hold anything tight enough for me...so the ability to use a screw as well was refreshing...however...the tooless on the card slots does not allow for a screw unlees you break the tooless holders and remove them...which I will...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I wonder why the tool-less holders on the back slots are different from the ones on my Cavalier case? Mine allow screws! Same company so I guess someone dropped the ball!

BTW! Who is the big LSU fan around here besides me? I have a PM for whoever they are!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

LSU did very well this year. ;) I guess all the hype was right about the SEC. lol. THE Ohio State LOST again. hehehe. :p I've hated them since they RAN the score up on Texas Tech a few years ago so the outcome was OK with me. I would of liked a closer game but oh well!! ;)

I'm waiting for Photobucket to upload me pics and I'll be posting some soon too.

My isn't as clean as Lp's BUT I have a little more STUFF in there. :D All I know is I have to save for a GOOD GPU. lol. The one that I purchased looks like it belongs in an Ultra Mini case. hehehe. ;P

Russ........check your PM's!! :p

...gm

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Check your e-mail for a sendthisfile. Could also be in your junk mail!

Russ

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well here's my first Intel build from start to finish. ;) I tried to include what I thought was "important" or "interesting"..... I hope that it helps someone out in some way. ;)

Lp I like the way that yours turned out. Sometimes minimalism is better. :p

I agree on the "tooless" design. I've never seen a tooless case actually hold stuff tight enough either. I haven't noticed the flimsy case side but again I haven't put it on since I removed it. hehee. Yep the power buttons are different to say the least. Similar to the little 340 that I have. They work is all I can say.

I see that you have your power supply "inverted". I didn't do that but the more I think about it the more I think I should.

Well here's the pics to prove it. ;)

Before we start....

closeup of cpu in socket

cpu w/ Zalman ZM-STG1

before drive install

after drive install it's like magic......lol

little southern engineering.....hehehe

before cable management

backside management

inside 1 management

inside 2 management

w/o front cover

w/ front cover

I'll add some more once I get it fired up and such. I'm curious about temps and air flow. :)

....gm

edit:

Thanks Russ I'll get that a try. ;)

@ZoSo,
    Could you post something smaller or links to those Antec 1200 pics?? You're messing with the space time continuum. lol. ;P

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    If there is an air inlet in the bottom of the case, I wouldn't invert it! The reason is threefold! First, the PS is designed for the fan to be pointing down, and second if there is a vent in the bottom for a PS fan, the air entering the PS will be about as cool as you can get! Lastly, power supplies can get pretty hot and when you shut the computer off, the heat may rise and warp or melt the fan!

Just being cautious and using a little common sense! LOL!!

I repeat, I'm trying to find out who posted something about LSU being National Champs, a little bit back! I have an important PM for them!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I Inverted it...because...the bottom opening was not adequate in size...in my opinion...no where near the size needed...also the front fan mounting was completely different...I will take a picture tomorrow...and post...there must be a revision of this case...

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Lp what did you find with the front fan mount? I thought it was ok but I haven't built nearly as many computers as you guys have. ;) I'll explore my options a little better next time. [might be a few years...lol....wife may not be impressed with how much I've spent and how much I still want to spend. hehehe. ;)]

good night guys!! I'm tired!!

...gm

15. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The P/S in my convertible Tower/HTPC build is either...on its side in HTPC mode...or inverted in Tower mode...
    I have seen and ran them in all (3) orientations...without ever having a problem...I would have preferred the bottom mount...but I would have had to...cut out the case fan opening...to make it work to my liking...about 70% of the fan opening was covered...completely unacceptable...

@greenie

I will post pic's tomorrow of the front of my buddy's case...his is different...there must be a revision...to this case...he bought his last week from newegg...I am assuming his...is the newer version...

Did yours have a screen filter...in the bottom of case...were the fan opening is?..

Just waiting on a Optical Drive...Fan Controller...and O/S...for those wanting a legit O/S...I found XP Home OEM for $59 after $40 rebate...

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I believe we had this conversation once before. I just didn't catch on to it until I re-read your post a few pages back!
    I only bring it up because I wish to point out to people who might not want to try a Silverstone FM-121 based on what you said, and that wouldn't be fair at all!

The FM-121 will not run at 450 RPM if they are properly installed! It's minimum speed is 800 RPM. This tells me that you are controlling the speed with something besides the standard controller that comes with the fan! This is a big No no! I've tried the same thing myself with an old fan controller I have, and I found it makes quite a bit more noise and it definitely makes more vibration. The electronics that control the fan are built into the fan housing itself, with only the potentiometer to plug into it so it can be mounted in a minimum of space, just about anywhere. The voltage remains constant as only the pulse on/off rate changes when you rotate the pot! controlling the voltage instead of the pulse rate is the absolute wrong thing to do with this type of fan! Without the pot attached, it's supposed to run at full speed. By lowering the voltage it raises havoc with the built in controller, and makes quite a bit of racket doing it! You absolutely have to use either the pot attached for variable speeds or no pot at all for full speed, which I do not recommend, as it's too loud for anyone to stand the noise for long unless they are hearing impaired! Then again no one will ever have a need for 110 CFM either!

Respectfully,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Greensman: What do you take me for? lol. First of all I'm well aware of how lollable the performance of the Pinto is. Secondly, the mini cooper rocked, how dare you?
    Thermalright, Scythe and Tuniq have been rocking the leaderboard of "best cooler" - so Coolermaster in their anger, decided to make the world's biggest - you think you'd have space trouble with an Ultra 120? Check this bad boy out:
    http://brainstuff.howstuffworks.com/2008/01/08/ces-2008-tour-9-cooler-master-v10/
    Cincyrob: The 900 has 3 5 1/4" bays.
    As for the "I want one" case, it has to go to the NZXT CS831 for now, trouble is that's probably out of the range of even your budgets let alone mine.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well let me first of say those are some sweet looking setups. im going insane here waiting in aticipation of my own build..

second let me say. THE SEC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everyone says there tired of the BIG TEN in the title game...find someone that can beat us and not let us in? LSU had a late X-mas gift even letting the min the title game. it should have been georgia or one of the other 1 loss teams. never before in history has there been a 2 loss team in the title game.

ok enough of off the topic stuff..sorry guys...lmao

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, that's all completely over my head...

ZoSoIV: The 1200 isn't on sale yet, it's still not in mass production. I've no idea how much it's going to sell for, but odds on it won't be cheap.
    Antec have also made a "Three Hundred" cut down version of the 900.

300:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ces2008-1/threehundred.jpg
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ces2008-1/threehundredinside.jpg
    1200:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ces2008-1/twelvehundredfront.jpg
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ces2008-1/twelvehundredinsie.jpg
    P180-Mini:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ces2008-1/miniP180.jpg
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ces2008-1/miniP180inside.jpg

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@sam

cant access those links ya posted

@ZOSO
    you have the 900 dont ya?do you have all the fans in the front still or did ya take 1 out to add more Optical drives? just curious. i want to be able to add a multi card reader to the front of the tower i get plus have 3-4 OD available too me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.