1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Ultra 90 is still a great CPU Cooler, especially with a quiet fan such as a Nexus. The setup as in the picture is good as long as you have a side exhaust fan towards the bottom of your case, or a bottom exhaust. otherwise, the airflow is counter-intuitive blowing downwards. My Ultra heatsink blows towards the back of the case (the bottom of the picture in that example)

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Something that has a fair amount of room. Will keep everything cool(mainly graphics and mobo), a tool-less design and maybe pre-built drilling holes for water cooling later on.

Out of interest, how does the thermal front LCD work on the NZXT(as in connections to mobo)?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the Lexa does offer a tool-less design (well, almost) - the side panel design also means that you need not screw it in. The latch part of the side lock (I never use the lock itself, waste of time IMO) means the side panel stays firmly attached with no screws, so you have tool-less entry too, not even any thumbscrews!
    As for the cooling, it's exemplary. I don't use the 80mm slots much at all any more, and the 120mm fans I use run slower than the ones the case comes with, and I still get good temps You'll have no trouble here.
    With regard to water cooling, not sure on the pre-drilled holes, I don't think it has, but places do sell PCs with this case that come with water-cooling setups, so it seems suited to the job.
    Plus, how could you say no to that face? :p
    http://www.technic3d.com/article/pics/403/DSCN24770001.jpg

The thermal monitor display doesn't connect to the motherboard, it has three sensors of its own with adhesive on them, stick them to whatever you want to monitor the temperature of. Of course this means it can't be used to monitor your internal CPU/GPU temperature, but it's pretty good for hard disks and of course heatsink temperatures. It could also be used to monitor the temperature of RAM, which of course whilst easily affected by heat, has no temperature sensor of its own.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

@ He_Man and sam,
    Are there other places to buy cases than the link He_Man provided. I know this is for He_Man but I don't know where YOU can buy from. ;) There's so many good cases out there right now, it's almost overwhelming. lol. :p

good luck with your choices He_Man....

....gm

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Sorry, i added this before you replied.

"Out of interest, how does the thermal front LCD work on the NZXT(as in connections to mobo)?"

And yeah i think ill get this case.

Oh and cheers greensman!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The list He-Man provided is clearance stuff, so it's much cheaper than usual. The Lexa at that price is an absolute steal.

He_Man: See my earlier post - updated.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, how much did the Ultra cost you? Does it come with a 775 version? If it does I can rotate it to blow air out the SENSIBLE way lol. Air blowing down is just stupid, wonder who thought of that.

BTW it's blowing HOT air towards your GPU, not a good thing.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, there's a 775 version.

9. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Is now owner of NZXT for £68.(delivery for Tuesday)

*Borat*

Tis nice!

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How much does it cost? I just got 175 dollars so I can buy a cooler now.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Actually sam it's quite easy........NOOOOOOO!! lol

@He_Man,
    Look at this and see if only a mother could love it. lol. hehehe.... Too bad you live in the UK!!!!

This link will give you some better looks at the LEXA. ;)

abuzar it's the AMD K8 version only and I couldn't find the LG775 version or I would have purchased at that price. lol. $15.95 + shipping.... ;) btw it's not stupid when your GPU runs warm anyways and I would bet the air coming out of the cpu cooler is COOLER than the GPU. :p

...gm

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just buy the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro!!!!!!!!!!!! From everyone that I've talked to it's the best buy for the money and cools almost as good as the Thermalrights for less than HALF the money!!! Ask the old man......hehehe. Russ!! j/k buddy. ;)

...gm

btw I'm looking at my temps and they haven't gone up at all and the MB temps dropped 4*C!! HTHeck did that happen?? lol

13. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Orgasm RLY!

Well ticked of PSU and Case. I should have actually got my optical drive while i was at it but meh.

Now have about £40 to play with because of the saving. Thinking of the new WD drives,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-178-WD

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why is being in the UK a problem? You think we can't get Stackers over here?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105608
    The Stacker's not an ugly case by any means, but there's just something about the Lexa's look that IMO makes it stick out from the other cases out there. What's also nice is that for reasons unknown, He_Man is the only person I've managed to persuade to buy one, so they're still relatively exclusive. (I'm the only person at my LAN party to own an NZXT case, let alone specifically the Lexa - I'm one of five of us who own an Antec 900).

He_Man: That's expensive for a 320GB, you don't need an enterprise class drive.
    I use these and recommend them
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-120-WD

Right, I'm off to bed mate, anything else on OcUK I can recommend, it'll be tomorrow!
    Ciao

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Nope, the rumor was, when I was little that you stayed away from girls because they had cooties! First day of 4th grade, I met my very first girlfriend and I knew it wasn't true. 53 years later we still are best of friends! 5th grade came along and there were school dances. I sized up the situation at the first dance and saw Girls dancing with Girls on one side of the room and the guys all clustered together on the other side of the room. Went home and got my Sister to teach me how to dance, and a couple of weeks later I had my pick of who I wanted to dance with! LOL!! Got kidded a lot, but I already knew most of the guys doing the kidding wished they were me! LOL!!

Russ

16. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

LOLERGASM!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well I don't think it's necessarily a problem but you guys seem to have difficulties getting GREAT deals like we do. ;) The link you provided says £127.96 (in USD $250.32). If you could get the case for what we pay it would be about £51..!!!! NOW is that a deal or what?? Of course there are MIR and $15 shipping. ;)

...gm

18. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

160.00 USD = 81.6704 GBP

Add your shipping. Your looking at about £20-£30 cheaper.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That comes out to a lot of dollars. While we are at it. Try finding a Thermaltake Armor case for 64 pounds WITH shipping and tax included.

Yeah that's what I thought lol.

Heman, funny picture...

I think I will just go ahead and get the Freezer 7 Pro. I used to have one you know so I know it's good from personal experience. I was just wondering if I could get anything better for around the same price, but I guess on.

On a side note my pigeon has bitten me at least 80 times today! I'm seriously thinking about eating it now! lol

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ok after Mail In Rebates (MIR) and shipping the grand total would be $114.98 which equals at todays conversion rates £58.78!! That would be a £69.18 savings!! The initial savings is £35-£40 but after MIR it's the £69.18 savings..... NOW how does it sound?? :p

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.