1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Yes and I appreciate the input, but it's just too big and tall for my needs or tastes!

One of the things I like the most about my CM Cavalier is it's a very deep case at around 20" compared to a lot of other mid sized cases. The extra couple of inches make all the difference in the world in working room when you have to do anyhting inside the case.

I've spent a considerable amount of time trying different fan combinations in trying to get the cooling the way I want it at a reasonable sound level, and I'm very happy with how well it works and sounds. It's much quieter than the D-940 with the Thermaltake Thunderblade. Unfortunately I can't do the same with it as it's a window case with a fan in the middle of the window and no side vent, so it will never cool as good, but I'm going to buy Russell a case like mine, only black and then we'll see what the Silverstones will do for that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Russ... I like the new version of Everest. ;)

first temp pic

second temp pic

Everything looks ok but the cores have VERY different temp values. Is that normal or is something wrong or off with the cooler? Of course the PS fan rpm is the chipset cooler fan. Haven't figured out how to change that if you can. :D

...gm

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    If you noticed I had the same problem with mine. It reads the fan on my NB heat Sink as the power supply. The cores are always like that as each core has it's own sensor that's wrapped around the cores. If you do a Ctrl, Alt, Del and open up performance you will see the reason for the differences in core temps! Both cores are not doing exactly the same amount of work. Can't say as I like your CPU cooler very much since a decent one should have a 4 prong PWM fan control like the Arctics do! A very minor thing for sure but I've found that the temps are better managed with the PWM control. Do you have the cooler fan plugged into the 4 prong CPU cooler plug? If not, I would recommend that you do as I think you can still chose Legacy control for the fan! Try it and see if it works The other fans don't matter at all as only the CPU fan can be controlled by the MB, although I've never owned an Asus AMD motherboard and I know they have cool and quiet. Check your manual and see what it says about controlling the fan speeds.

Can the CPU cooler be rotated 90 degrees to face the rear of the case? It would be much better not to blow air into the power supply if at all possible. They generate enough heat on their own without blowing additional hot air into it! I'm somewhat confused though! When you posted pics the other day it had a Cooler Master CPU cooler on it, or is this a different computer????

I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in your voltages, although they are the same as I was getting on my GA-965P-DS3 with 3 stage power regulation. The P35-DS3R has 6 stage power regulation which is much better. Keep this in mind when you overclock.

Here's my temps and voltages and you will see what I mean about the cores, fan speeds and the voltage.

[​IMG]

Everything looks pretty good though so it looks like everything is working all right.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  4. greensman

greensman Regular member

I just checked with a flashlight and it looks like a plugged the cpu_fan into the sys_2 fan header. lol. I do that all the time. lol. Yep Cool and Quiet is available. ;)

NOPE!! Well from what I can tell it's not possible. ;) I'll look more closely at the cooler and see what I can do. ;) This is my AMD X2 3800 rig. I think the one you're thinking of is the Intel rig. :) BUT I did just change out the cooler which was a Cooler Master TX2 (not a bad cooler really) to the Thermalright Ultra 90. So far the TR Ultra 90 seems pretty good at keeping the heat down. ;)

NOT the best voltages I know but it's pretty stable, no big fluctuations that I can tell. ;) This build has been over a year in the making. lol. I've upgraded everything basically over the last year and I took all the "old" parts and built another single core AMD rig for the wife which I'm in the middle of installing Linux just to try it. lol. I like M$ just a little more than you do. lol. btw she doesn't do anything like burning or anything so it shouldn't be a problem if the OS is stable enough. :D

Russ I probably won't OC the AMD very much even if I do. lol. NOW the Intel might get some tweaking. :p

To recap on the Intel build:
    E6850
    P35-DS3P
    Balistix Tracers DDR2 1066
    CM 850W
    8400GS
    3 x 320 Seagates
    5 ODD's for now
    5 case fans
    CM TX2 cpu cooler

...gm

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I know I got the explanation from Sam the other day saying that his temps are so low when he loads his computer down. I can well see why he needs the Thermalright 120 because of his desire for silence and the slow fan speeds he uses. More power to him as he's gotten exactly what he wants! Why would I need one though? Regardless of what I run I stay well within the design limits of the CPU and never get anywhere near the high end, temperature wise. I see no benefit in knocking a couple of C off my present temps. I could see it if I was getting close to an uncomfortable temperature, but I'm not, and I never get anywhere near throttling temperatures, so what would be the point, since I'm more than comfortable with the sound levels of my machine to begin with.

The temps I posted before were taken this morning and it was pretty cool in here then (72F). It's 80F in here right now and the computer's been on since 8 AM this morning and the CPU is 30C. It's no longer like it was when dealing with the Prescot and to a degree, the Presler. I just see no point in hanging a 1.75 lb. cooler off of the motherboard just to lower my temps a couple of degrees when there's no problem to begin with! Add a fan to that and you would be almost at 2 lbs. I'm in the low to mid temperature range now, so why risk breaking the motherboard, when the AF7-Pro does the job nicely for me? Even the Ultra 90 would be overkill!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Man I undervolted my CPU and took everything back down to stock. WTF is up with the mobo temp!!!!

[​IMG]

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ:
    When little: no mention of cooties
    Start of Year 3: Make first real female friend, still friends with her today - note: "Friend" only!
    Start of Year 4: Understand the other reasons you'd want to be friends with a girl, politely ignore them#
    Now: Still politely ignore them

He_Man: @picture: Um..... OK. I'm not going to comment on that!
    Greensman: We do indeed, especially since we're never offered MIRs...
    As for the cooler, I think the Ultra90 is still better than ther Freezer 7, but it all depends on the cost difference. Not sure I'd pay double for it.

Russ: Lol @ your power supply fan speed. Please tell me that's your chipset cooler or something!

As for the off-topic discussion that was going on recently, I'll make one passing statement - people are often attracted to other countries purely because they're different. A visit to the US for example is interesting compared to being here, but I wouldn't want to live there. I'll be honest with you, I have very little knowledge of how the political system works over there. All I'll say is that despite the amount of stick it gets, I'd much sooner we have the NHS than not have it - I just wish it wouldn't waste it's money on binge drinkers and chain smokers.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why do you still politely ignore them?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Let's just say I have enough distractions from my studies and cash-spending opportunities as it is.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh ok, thank god it isn't for the "other" reason lol.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well who knows, only time will tell on that one! :p

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No no no, don't even joke about that.

Anyway does a Physics accelerator improve your framerate?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, it worsens it, by adding additional physics features - that's extra stuff for your graphics card to render. of course this is irrelevant, since PhysX only actually works in about 3 games.

15. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

You know what guys?
    I am more excited about actually ordering and receiving my parts than i was at Christmas time. It's pretty weird.

I think my next purchase will be the q6600(retail) and 3870(sapphire) for just over £300 from ebuyer.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's understandable. I was more excited when I first took delivery of my PC than christmas last year.

17. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

19. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

They can do 1066 with the Corsair Dominator airflow fan.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And what voltage? RAM should never overheat unless your case cooling is a complete joke, or you've overvolted it. If the former, sort it out! If the latter, use a decent cooler like an HR-07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.