1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Xasers always looked crap IMO, that one's no different. The Super Armor looks alright, but a bit overdone.

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@boozer
    Dude...I've seen your Rifle collection...do you really need another one?..Hell you could start your own militia with all that firepower...
    Ok...just out of curiosity...what are you getting this time?..
    Me do Like Weapons of Mass Destruction...Blowing Sh!t up...is Fun...and it is...the American Way...

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

GOOD BOY!! Get the AC Feezer 7 Pro!! Can't beat if for the money!! Trust me I've looked and done some research as well as take advice/ideas from this lot here!!

...gm

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@abuzar1

It is abit of a bite sometimes..but..I like see thru look..plus the lighting of blue and the lights bounce off the board..lol it's cool looking to me..$60.00 dollars worth of plastic..I wanted a new look never had a clear case b4..the temp is staying at 35 degress inside blowing out cool air side and rear..:D

6. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Just ordered my quad and a pioneer dvdrw drive from ebuyer. The quad was truely a steal at £152.

The AC Freezer 7 Pro is a maybe for me. Im thinking of keeping temps down with a Thermalright 120A Extreme when ocing to 3ghz and beyond.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

LP, how did you see my rifle collection?

Well somehow if you did, most of my rifles are back home in Pakistan. Right now all I have here in Florida is a Ruger Mini-30(one of the new ones, I heard they are more accurate) with a Synthetic Stock and a S&W 9mm pistol.

BTW I'm getting a SKS, it's only like 220, and I just want a cheap one for now. I'll get my dad to buy something better for "himself" later lol.

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Didn't you have a picture of them in your profile...I remember what looked like an older model...AR-15 with scope...

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No I think that's waymon. I have a mini-30 with a Nikon scope on it.

[​IMG]

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for the subject matter, that depends on the noise level you're happy to deal with. In quiet case at full speed the Freezer 7 pro can pull temps of about 45C load on an E4300 at 3Ghz, but it makes a racket, it's less effective at lower fan speeds. Thing is though, with a dead-silent fan in it, the Ultra 120 (non-extreme) will get no more than 43C at load in that environment.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

LP
    we need to get together and blow some shi!t up...your right it dont get any better than that..lol

hey hows that CM690 doing for you? any problems with it? how was it getting the HDD's in it?
    just read in a maximumPC mag that its not thta good of a case???
    it also had reviews on the NZXT. looking at it that case looks like everythng i would want. but they gave it a worse review than the 690???

@sammorris
    do you have a link to the NZXT? would like to see it in depth a little bit?
    correction there is a couple NZXT models the review i was talking about was the NZXT alpha..i still like the looks of it but the review was bad...heres a link to the review
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/nzxt_alpha
    the lexa i think is the one your interested in is a little to futureistic looking for me...lol the inside of it kinda lokos like the CM690

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    With my E4300 on the GigaByte GA-965P-DS3, I let the fan be controlled by the motherboard and got consistently lower temps as it was better at setting the fan speeds to the need of the computer than I was doing it manually. Setting the fan to maximum speed actually gave me higher temps! The highest fan speed I've ever seen was in the mid 1800s, far shy of the 2400 rpm full speed. Is this another case of you manually controlling the speed of the Freezer 7 Pro, cause it will make a racket that way because it's made for PWM control. I only ask because I don't find my F7-Pro to be the least bit noisy! Much quieter than the Zalman 9500LED it replaced, which got progressively noisier as the dirt and dust quickly collected in all those damn litte "Vs"! It was a P.I.A. to clean too as getting around the inside between the fan and the fins, with the fan firmly fixed in place was a pain!

The funny side note to all of that is, often it takes a good 15-20 minutes before the fan even starts to spin as it takes that long for the computer to heat up enough for it to start running. usually I go to my e-mails first when i turn it on, so not much heat to begin with! Scared the hell out of me the first time I pulled the cover and the fan wasn't turning! LOL!! Someone here had that problem recently. like me, they thought the fan header didn't work! LOL!! I guess all of that shows that with the right cooler and given my case airflow the CPU in it could be passively cooled very easily with no fan.

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Rob
    I firmly believe in the right to bear arms...and I am not talking about Muscle Tee's...I think there are limits to what should be available...but the Right to have them is inalienable...in my book...

MaximumPC Sucks...Its not the greatest case...but for $29...its hard to beat...The H/D trays were a little bit of a problem...in loading the drives into the trays...but not undo able...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well yeah, no arms no hunting. That would suck big hairy balls lol.

LP, what do you think about the SKS? I've been generally getting good for the money kind of opinions so far.

Russ, I have no idea how your OVERCLOCKED cpu can manage not to have the fan turn on for 15 minutes. Did you put it in the freezer? lol

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

SKS...makes some nice stuff...I wouldn't hesitate because of there reputation...which I have always considered to be...Good...

As for fans...my HTCP build...when the fans temps were set to stock...did not turn on for sometimes...5 minutes or more...right now...every thing is set to full...at all times...I will adjust latter...once I get the fan controller that I want...I like manual controllers for my fans...I'm not real big on...software only based...controllers...I have never used Speedfan...I guess I need to...give it a try...

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

LP, are we talking about the same thing?

I'm talking about the SKS carbine/rifle. The one make by the Russians not a company called SKS. Here I'll show you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Just don't try and hook up a PWM controlled fan to it as the fan will not like it very much! The CPU cooler on mine works a lot better being controlled by the PWM control in the bios! The Silverstones have their own controller and everything else runs at maximum except the PS, which has it's own temperature control. It runs about 2C lower that way! I tried speed fan, but as far as I'm concerned, it sucks! Of course, it's only the free version, but it still sucks!

cincyrob,
    Here's a link from TigerDirect for the NZXT Lexa Blackline. $99!
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3208108&sku=A406-1082

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I always took SKS to be the Russian Manufacturer of the rifle..."SKS" simply means in russian (Self-loading Carbine designed in 1945 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov.) or any automatic carbine rifle using that particular 1945 design...just like AK-47 means (Kalashnikov model automatic rifle of 1947) which means any "automatic rifle" using the "1947 design by Mikhail Kalashnikov"...any way we are talking about the same Russian made Military Rifle...

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar,
    When you have 100+ cfm of air constantly moving through the case the way I do, passive cooling of the F7-Pro by the case airflow is adequate until everything gets warmed up. Remember also that the whole computer and all of it's components, is stone cold so it has to make all it's own heat from scratch! When it's 70-72F in here, that takes a while. When it gets in the mid to high 60s it takes even longer. I'm sure that if I was encoding it would start much sooner, but usually I go answer e-mails first so there's no real load on the machine at all!. I think it's safe to say that my case ventilation is top notch! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.