1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

russ thats the main point people find it so easy to forget, if your case has crap airflow even the best heatsink fan will give bad results.

mine has been on for days so i would guess you could call it idle temps the room is a nice 24c with my well...
    [​IMG]

not bad for a cpu running on 1.45v

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's mine yesterday morning when it was 72F in here!

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temp25ccd4.jpg

If you expand your window a little and make it a little taller we can also see the voltages like on mine. You can see my CPU voltage is about the same as yours. Normally anything under about 80F in here and it stays pretty much around 30C. When encoding with DVDRB/CCE it hits about 42C. More than good enough for me!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@abuzar1

thanks for the help brother here's a pic b4 the Oc!
    [​IMG]
    normal..
    now here's a pic after the Oc!
    [​IMG]
    running at 3.36ghz now stable temp staying at 31c normal hav'en put a load on it yet will test a load on it later to see..Thanks again!!

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Call me silly here but it looks like it says 2.52 NOT 3.36. :S If I remember right the stock speed is 2.66. lol.

I'm not really up on these things to tell you the truth but I'm learning quickly!! :D

...gm

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    He's got the wrong Pic! LOL!! You can tell by the bus speed so he probably got the wrong pic! If the bus speed was the same, then C1E would be turned on and it would be running at the same bus speed but the CPU multiplier would be lower!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@greensman

its speedstep, look at his multi, its dropped to x6.

room temp is now upto 26c as heatings on for kids getting out of bed. just stopped playing crysis too so thats why gpu temp is up a bit.

was at;
    35c mobo
    34c cpu and
    46c gpu as i stopped.

with volts,
    http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6563/69733043mg0.jpg

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Nope! Look at his fsb. It doesn't change, only the multi does with speedstep or C1E. It's 333MHz in the first one and 420MHz in the second, and that's a manual setting! He must have been trying different multipliers and just got the wrong picture.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Alpha looks a bit plain to me (although for many that's a good thing). The cases I like the look of the most are probably the Lexa, Apollo, Zero and Rogue.

9. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Right guys, now i have my psu, quad and pioneer drive, i am gonna buy everything else from ebuyer or something.

For GPU, the 3870 (sapphire) for £144
    Ram, OCZ 800Mhz RAM (or if the corsair can be found for similar price)
    Mobo, A gigabyte board or asus p5k-e
    Hard Drive, Western digital/Seagate 16mb cache.
    Case, ill go for that black/red LEXA case.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

According to all of U I'm running hotter then Haddies.Are these temps within the norm,or should I worry. I don't overclock, everything is stock.Mainly do a lot of encoding of Videos [DVD to Xvid]or vise versa
    ConvertX uses a lot of CPU,sometimes as much as 93%. Which really slows down a Dual Core
    Motherboard:
    CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2600 MHz (13 x 200) 5000+
    Mobrd Asus M2V-MX (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio,Video, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA K8M890CE, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 1984 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (04/30/07)
    Communication Port Communications Port
    (COM1) Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 38 °C (100 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 48 °C (118 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 47 °C (117 °F)
    Aux 60 °C (140 °F)
    SAMSUNG HD501LJ 32 °C (90 °F)
    SAMSUNG HD501LJ 29 °C (84 °F)
    Cooling Fans:
    CPU 2509 RPM
    Chassis 3462 RPM
    Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.22 V
    +3.3 V 3.18 V
    +5 V 4.78 V
    +12 V 11.20
    V VBAT Battery 2.99 V
    Debug Info F 010D 00C3 00FF 0000 0000
    Debug Info T 59 38 128
    Debug Info V 4C FF C7 B2 AF FF FF (5F)

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick,
    first off make sure you have positive air flow for your case. ;) You know more going out than in. ;D

Next I would make sure your cpu fan is turning "fast" enough and then of course what cpu thermal paste did you use and do you feel it was applied properly?

Just some things to look at before going to something like the chipset NOT reporting correctly. :D It happens trust me. lol.

For reference I have an X2 3800 AMD and it runs about 31C-35C at idle depending on the ambient temp of the room. ;)

....gm

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think the reason it's lower is because it's speedstep. Look his bus speed is at 420mhz so you know it's overclocked. Maybe he was doing something in the background in the first pic and that's why is multi in at 8x.

Bigwill, just disable EIST in advanced settings and it will run at 3.36ghz all the time.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..A Tech put it together for me, so probably what ever came stock [cpu thermal paste].As far as [cpu fan is turning "fast" enough]
    Got any guess as to what rpm it should be at. I'll check my BIOS & see though. Is their a program to monitor and or Adjust fan speeds

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar,
    Let me see if I can explain this better. You see the two different FSB settings? 333 and 420? These are manual settings! They do not change by themselves, ever! The only way that number changes is if you change it. The only thing that can change by itself is the multiplier. The CPU, if it gets hot enough will lower it's frequency by throttling. That's why it can't be Speedstep or C1E. It's just the wrong Picture!

Speedstep is a completely different thing entirely. It chooses the frequency for the load put on the CPU. In other words it gives you what they think you need depending on the load. I personally don't like it as it does interfere with performance, where C1E doesn't!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, sorry but I'm going to have to disagree. I'm pretty damn sure that speedstep changes the Multi because I used have it enabled and it changed the Multiplier.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    My friend, you are correct on what SpeedStep does, it changes the multi as does C1E! That's not the issue! The issue is the FSB setting which is different for each pic shown! That can only be set manually as it determines the actual speed of the fsb. The bus speed setting in the bios is multiplied x 4! It stays constant. That's why the first pic shows 333 for the bus speed and 1333 for the FSB, 333x4=1333! The second pic shows a bus speed of 420, 420x4=1680. Changing the CPU multiplier doesn't change the FSB! The multiplier for the bus speed is fixed at 4x and the setting is a manual one, so it can't be changed any way but manually! The problem is not SpeedStep or C1E! The only multiplier SpeedStep or C1E can change is the CPU multiplier, which is a completely different thing! It's just the wrong picture!

BTW! This morning it was cold in here (20C) and when I turned on the computer I got these. It was actually right on 20C, but I screwed up the shot so this one says 21C for the CPU!
    [​IMG]
    Even though the fan speed says it's running it's not as it won't kick over much below 750 rpm. It took 13 minutes before the CPU fan started running

Here it is 35 minutes later with the fan actually running:
    [​IMG]

I would say I have outstanding airflow through my case!

Respectfully,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  17. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Yo sam, i was reading some reviews about the NZXT and afew people said the fans push little air. Your thoughts?

Im also concerned about having only one 80mm exhaust fan. Seems abit too little for all the high end hardware radiating heat.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The NZXT fans don't push that much air in the grand scheme of things. However, due to the way the case is designed they're more than sufficient - don't forget my GPU is now fanless, and I now run 700rpm fans rather than the 1100 they normally are, I don't have any temperature issues!
    The 80mm isn't the only exhaust, the fans are configured thus:

Front 120: Intake (dust filtered)
    Bottom 80: Intake (dust filtered)
    Side 120: Intake (dust filtered)
    Top 80: Exhaust
    Rear 120: Exhaust
    Due to the effect of the dust filters, the airflow works out about equal, and what little difference there is, your PSU's fan will make up.

19. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

O RLY?
    That's good to know. I will be having a Thermalright 120A cooler(with an s-flex 1600 attached) or an AC Freezer 7 pro in the NZXT so fingers crossed.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    Now you can better understand why I like my CM Cavalier case so much! Look at my previous post on this page and you will see my temps at startup this morning and 35 minutes later when I had to shut it down to go do some work. That's the biggest reason I don't want a Full Tower case. All those fans don't come close to moving the air I move through my case, and they just have to make more noise doing it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.