1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    If I was getting a 500GB drive, it would be this one. It has a 32MB cache. Price here is about the same as the WD!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288

I use Maxtor Diamond Plus for ATA drives and Seagate Barracudas for Sata, any time I have to replace a drive or do a new build. I've found the WD's a bit noisier than either the maxtors or the Seagates. The noise may well have to do with what the case is made out of though, as the only way I can hear my Seagate at all is if I get a couple of inches away from the front of the computer. You can't hear anything from 3' away!

Abuzar1,
    Can't be 4th grade! Every 4th grader knows that Windows Sux! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Don't have Raptors and won't at the prices WD has them at. lol.

Here's some "research" for you sam. ;)

Link to conclusion

Link to graphs ....keep going on the pages... :p

btw I'm not advocating this "system" but it's there and by Tom's no less.

.....gm

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I have a WD sata 160gb hdd (OS and programs), a samsung sata 400gb hdd (storage), and a maxtor IDE 300gb hdd (storage). the maxtor is by far the hottest of the three and also the loudest. I will never again buy a maxtor hdd period.

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Damn, CityLink just gave me an email saying parcel was delivered unsucessfully and they left a card...........trouble is no card was left.

Anyway, i was looking at scan's today only deals and they have some good stuff.

They have,

Western Digital WD5000AAKS for £62.26

Was thinking of getting this board for £96.94
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=752631

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme for £32.89

Rather the Thermalright or a AC freezer 7 pro.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hey guys, my friend asked me whats the difference between DDR3-1066 and DDR2-1066, they are the same speed? Man, i have no idea, i couldn't answer, please help!

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

DDR3 is the newest mem out right now. very exspensive being so new.
    most board arnt compatible with the DDR3 right now.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's probably the least intelligent thing I've ever heard you say!
    Why not?
    You do realise there are dozens of different builds of Linux right?

Theone: Generally the WD drives have the lowest balance between idle noise and seek noise. Samsungs are known for loud vibration, Seagates and Maxtors for loud seek noise.

Greensman: Unless it's RAID5, RAID6 or RAID10, I don't believe in using RAID. RAID0 is too risky, RAID1 offers too little storage for the price. RAID5 and RAID6 are good if you've got lots of hard drives, RAID10's good if you've got loads. To do the job properly though you really need a decent PCIe 16x RAID card, and most of the time they're more expensive than all the drives combined.

He_Man: That happens a lot with citylink. What it means is that they didn't bother putting the parcel on the van because they couldn't be bothered. It happens a lot, you may have to go to their depot to collect it.
    As for the motherbard, it might be excellent, but so are the cheaper options. A P35-DS3R (or DS3P for crossfire) will do you fine, I'm certain.
    As for the cooler, definitely go with the Thermalright, it's a far better cooler than the Freezer 7, well worth the money.

GTR: There isn't really much of a difference. Since DDr2 is cheaper, and will fit in any motherboard, that's what you should go with.

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so there is no difference huh? so that means DDR2 will be a better choice. I guess there will only be a difference when all the board supports DDR3 and DDR3 will be about DDR2's price range, which is like a long time

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A very long time. As far as I'm concerned, right now DDR3 is just a gimmick. Didn't stop me buying a board with slots for both though... :)

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

man u lot are mad. football is where it is at. cricket boring, baseball boring, american football, not boring, just to stop and go. rugby better, but not by much, but football rules all. the anticipation, the fluidity, the movement, the skill involved. hell the world cup finals are the most watched Tv in the world.

i support middlesbrough, as i was born there, but living in london, so arsenal are my second team. been to many an arsenal match, and must say, watching them is amazing. them and barcalona play the beautiful game how it was meant to be played. no longball liverpool, just solid passing with 1-2 touches, and slick finishing.

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol, nice commentary there but this is a computer forum?

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys im firing up this old puter of mine. took the tower apart just because. i was haven a problem with it and XP its a old mobo and i dont think XP is compatable with it..but anyway. i turned it on and in the loading i got this erro r "ntldr is missing" what is that????

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i thought thats what that might have ment. i went into bios and changed the boot order to cdrom first.(not sure if that hard drive is formated or not) put in my windows disc and it is doing the setup now. if that HDD wasnt formated or something on it wrong would i still be able to format it ?

edit to add

ok answered my own question. it is formating the HDD now 10% done....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaffaaf: Funny, I find almost all sport boring, and I find people who can't accept that even more boring.
    Cincyrob: Yep, you're doing everything right so far...

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Frankly Not really into any game...or sport...that can last for 2hrs...and have a ending score of 1-0...Basketball is my favorite all time sport...

Right now...MMA...is probably what I enjoy watching the most...Its one of the fastest growing sports...nothing like a good Cage Fight...2 men enter...1 man leaves...

Does anyone else watch the UFC...I know its becoming popular in Britain...a lots of the big fights...are now...over there...

As for Linux...Its great once it is set-up...I prefer it for Servers...and home down loaders...but not for a business computers...I think everyone should have a Linux box...MicroSuck is not going to last forever...A Free Open O/S is the Future...

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

how can u find sport boring?

are you just a computer geek, like the rest of us, but without another hobby?

UR BRIT AINT YA?

FOOTBALL SHOuLD BE IN UR VAINS

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The opening line pretty much sums up why I find football specifically boring Lp, good call.
    My mate phil's really into UFC, I personally don't really find it that interesting, but that probably doesn't surprise.

@shaffaaf: why should it? More than half the people I know don't care for football. So what if something doesn't interest us? That's hardly base for criticism. it was a good getout clause at school too - "what team do you support?" "I don't!"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Frankly Sam...your still a little young yet...to really get into...watching sports...Its really around 21...to 25...that most people...really start watching sports...when you are young...there are to many other new...and exciting things to explore...mark my words...you will probably sing a different tune...once you get a little older...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.