1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

reformat is complete setting up windows now. has 32 mins left

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maybe I will, who knows...

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i have been a die hard football fan for 4 years now, and im now 18.
    once you have gone to a match, it really changes you

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

shaffaaf, did you just call CRICKET boring? GTFO

You're one to be talking, like football isn't boring. Cricket is fun to watch and play, footbal is fun to play.

Basketball is fun too, I just don't like watching it.

As for the anti-Microsoft sentiments, you all use XP. They screwed up on Vista but you can't ignore what they have done for the computer industry. People don't become number one for no reason at all you know.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well the old thing is up and running. think i got a good install of windows xp. just played a game of hearts on it..lol gonna load some programs in it and try to burn a disc.....

here is some pics of the tower tore down. i cleaned it out real good and put in a new 500w PSU...;)~

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2747.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2748.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2749.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2750.jpg

dont laugh its a old tower. im just takeing it apart to learn before i get my parts i want.
    amd duron cpu 800mhz 100gb segate hdd

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Those fans are amazing!

Also did you check out the links?

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ok.....i know im paki, and ur paki, and i h8 cricket (first paki to do that)(hehe) but sitting there for 3-4 hours for 3-4 days for one match to finish OMG BORING. i admit its fun to play, as are most sports, but its boring to watch.

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIX.....OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

CHAAAAAAAAATCH IIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

but football is superb to watch. the atmosphere is amazing. the anticipation. the crowd the players the skill. THE BEAUTIFUL GAME! its the most watched sport in the WORLD. how the hell is it boring?

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You're a Pakistani? I thought you were Black.

Anyway you cant REALLY be a Paki and not like Cricket. It's like dividing by Zero. I think you've just lived in England too damn long.

Cricket FTW!!!!(Even though Pakistan sucks now *sigh*)

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The only reason I use Microsoft is Business...to effectively run an office...you have to use...whatever software everyone else is using...
    Microsoft products were first...widely adopted in business...it's what almost all business's are using...for there to be a fundamental change...the business office must change...the private consumer will then...have to follow...
    Linux will continue to gain ground...and slowly Microsoft's Monopoly will crumble...
    I have already started the change...by shifting to "Open Office"...I no longer need to use Microsoft Office...I still have to use Microsoft's O/S...but once...I No longer need to...I will jump ship...because once that ship starts to flounder...it will sink quickly...

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    That might have well been true a long time ago, but the fact that Micro$oft sued everybody and their mother for infringement if it looked remotely like windows. They even sued Apple, which is funny because Apple had a Graphic interface long before windows did, and Apple stole theirs from Digital Research after turning down Gem and then coming out with their own version of the same thing! Same as Micro$oft, Apple had Money and Digital Research didn't! Gem was far better than either Windows or Mac OS!

Rule #1 in business is "He who has the Gold, makes the rules"! It was never that Micro$oft was better, they just had more money than anyone else thanks to all the support their DOS operating system had gotten prior to wimdows 3.0. There were older versions of windows too, but 3.0 for the 286 stands out as the first half way reliable, DOS based windows. It took Windows 3.1 to really put Windows on the map! And Windows 95 to give them Quasi true Windows and a GUI, not just an overlay of DOS that you executed your dos programs through! Anybody that got in Micro$oft's way, got trampled or sued! I believe the Legal term was Infringing on the "Look and Feel"! LOL!!

Micro$oft has earned every bit of the abuse they get, and then some!

Respectfully,
    Russ

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Little old me went on another shopping spree. I got, (from Scan)

1. Arctic Silver 5
    2. Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    3. S-FLEX 1600RPM

4. That WD 500GB HD
    5. Crucial Ballistix 1066

Edit - (4 and 5) BT SHOP had trouble processing my mum's credit card(delivery address or something) so i am just gonna pay with paypal.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

LP, open office is a joke. If you don't like paying for it then download it but seriously don't use open office. Office 2007 is miles better.

Russ, if XP sucks so much then why do you use it? Honestly the thing is if you use it then it means there aren't viable alternatives out there. If you say well Microsoft has support and stuff, but the other OS are still awesome, well they are not because they DONT support that software. Linux shouldn't have to EMULATE Windows.

As for Linux, well I got and ran Ubuntu. I followed the EXACT instructions for installing Flash on adobes website and it still didn't work. I just quit it after that.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes i looked at those links thanks...

well after getting XP installed i played around some and even tried burning a movie.. BAMMMMMM shut down and rebooted..... i dont know whats wrong with it im assumeing its the mobo cant handle xp or the mobo is just toast...so now it is gutted and everything that is useable is out of it..i do know i dont think im as worried about doing a build now. everything is pretty much plug and play as to say..lol...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, this is the kind of thing Linux is good for. There aren't really worthwhile OSs from Microsoft before XP unless you want to switch to 98 lol.

Just get a distro of Linux that works well with older hardware and use that.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

That took me a while to figure out. ROFL!!!! Are there any case fans to put in there Rob?? I would think at least an exhaust fan would be nice. ;)

I understand you don't "like" RAID0 but that's not the point of what we were talking about sam. We were talking about being able to use RAID0 with Raptors and Tom's did it for a test of speed. It's faster, much faster than a single Raptor and blazingly fast compared to 7,200 rpm drives. If you stick 2 7,200 drives in RAID0 you can get some GOOD performance if you are so inclined and even outshine a single Raptor for less money and gain 3-5 times the storage. :D

And again using an expensive PCIe card comes into play if you want to use the RAID array with whatever drive of your choice. I'm not advocating or even using this type of setup but it's possible and some use it for whatever reason. ;)

....gm

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It has nothing to do with paying...Its the unnecessary changes that are made in the different M/S Office versions...I do not want to learn a new program every 3 years for No Reason...Office 2007 is Crap compared to its earlier versions...and the changes made...were completely unnecessary...

Office 2007 is expensive to implement in a Office...It has a huge new learning curve that is expensive for a business to absorb...Microsoft does not develop new programs for there improvements...they release new products just so they have something New to Sell...The new improvements are simply marketing gimmicks...to sell the new product...and these relatively small improvements are unnecessarily...and not cost effective to implement...

When Open Office makes a change...it is not marketing driven...It is a Actual Functional Improvement...

Microsoft's goal is Not to Make The Best Product they Can...There Goal is merely to make a new product to sell...If Microsoft ever developed an O/S that could not be improved upon...that was perfect...they would not sell it...It would put them out of business...

An Open Source Programs Goals...is to simply make the Best Product that they can...and that is why eventually...they will prevail...eventually they will make a superior O/S...
    Open Office...has already done this...in my book...I will never return to M/S Office...there is No Need To...

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

LP, Honestly I found office 2007 easier to use. Maybe it's just you, why not use the second latest version of Office?

I've used Open Office and honestly it's crap. It's much harder to do a good job making a presentation or writing a report in Open Office.

Oh well each to his own.

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Why?..The only reason Open Office is difficult for you is...you have not learned how to use it...Once you learn it...you will never have to...relearn it again...like you will...when M/S releases a new Office ????
    To go with M/S Office...is to go with...a never ending cycle of new products...that are completely unnecessary...

I do not want to learn a new program every (3) years...for No Reason...other then to give...M/S more $$$...

Can you name...(1) diffrence in Office 2007...that was truly needed...over 2003...or even 2000...and don't say...it's intuitiveness...because I will know...you just couldn't come up with one..:)

My personal opinion is...Open Office training should be required in school...Not M/S Office...Frankly...Why are public schools actively promoting Microsoft's products?..

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you can put 2 fans in it but they would have to be small ones. in the back it could take a 80mm and in the front one even smaller.. say if a guy had 2 nice red thermaltake 120mm fans they wouldnt fit...lmao

i got more out of tearing it down and just looking at what goes where and how thani have anything else out of it. heck the 20+4 pin you only use the 20 pin..... for that mobo it is a cheapy but for what it is , it does have a nice fan on the chip....lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.