1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@cincyrob
    Is this the board that you were hoping to add a video card to?..I do not see any AGP or PCI-E slots for video listed...any of those P4 chips will work with this...the most expensive one was the best...just go with the one that best fits your budget...

2. herrick

herrick Regular member

Well flashed Bios w/ newest up-date and temps now idle at 34C not as good as w/ my $70.00 case but better then last week, Did not get to hook up controller because temp monitor has been lost in the mail.

I figure if I can get ahold of Theraltake and order the side fan [120mm] that has been place in the one I have now, that should do it- I just wished they had that case when I ordered this one- It figures- LOL

Again thanks for all the help...building is one thing...tuning and tweeking is another--- time comsuming matter... BUT well worth it-again thanks everyone!

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    I guarantee the chip is running cooler in the new case...so do not worry about seeing higher numbers then before...get rid of after market software based fan and temp control's...

Did you ever answer if all those fans are plugged into your motherboard?..
    They are way to big to be running off power,supplied through motherboard...they need to be straight off the power supply...

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

I do have Fanspeed, but only use it to compare w/ the Asus software that came with my mobo... as for the fans the only one that is hooked up via the mobo is my CPU fan.

any ideas on where to go for a side fan if I cannot get theramltake to sell me the stock one?

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

@herrick,
    www.coolerguys.com has some good deals. Give them a look see. btw good ole Mort81 sent me there months ago. lol. What a lovely chap he is....lol.

try this buddy

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@ Herrick
    I usually install Cooler Master Rifle bearing fans...best price, to db, to air flow ratio...this is where I buy from...I buy 10 packs...they are even cheaper...I like SVC...they don't screw ya on the shipping...I try to order as much at one time as possible...they will fit what ever they can in box and only charge what it costs for them to ship it to you...

http://www.svc.com/tlf-s12-eb-19.html

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no this is the actual board i have right now. im not gonna be able to do my build with the conroe setup right now. gotta fix my truck,

so i want to get me a P4 HT CPU for this board now knowing this board with take it.. i was told at first it wouldnt take a CPU thats800mhz fsb.

so i figure at the most for one of the HT CPU's will be a great improvement from what i got now. and about 150 buck or so i can deal with that.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

Thanks for the kind words :) Coolerguys have good prices on some things (that's where I buy all my round IDE cables from) but they're prices on fans aren't usually real good. I still like newegg for fans. Just bought me an antec 3 speed blue led 120mm fan for the front of my case that I really like from them (newegg).

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@mort81
    Have you ever used the "Vaster" round cables...great build quality...fully shielded with ground straps...

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lp531,

Never have tried Vaster cables. Sounds good though. Every things probably going to be sata before long the way it's going.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

@Lp531

Your right... but that was before dash34 found my case door w/ the bigger fan already in...I didnt know they had them that big? I thought 120 was the biggest, go to show I am still new at this...

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

You only really started seeing 250mm on case in the last year...

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

You would think they are not that load, do to the fact the space it is covering and it does not have to turn as fast? what do you think?

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    The 250mm are quiet...probably more quiet then 120mm...the higher RPM of a 120mm will generate more air pressure then the 250mm so if purpose is to wash motherboard with air 120mm might be way to go and cheaper...

Were is location of hole...on 120mm door...that you have?..

The 250mm door will allow more noise to escape case...due to hole size...

I always prefer 120mm fans...on controllers to control noise on case's...

120mm fans deliver best airflow...to DB...to volume of air...with most pressure of any size fans...

17. herrick

herrick Regular member

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

19. herrick

herrick Regular member

Ya, if I have to cut into that stuff I make a stencil w/ tack paper [you know the stuff prople put on the kitchen shelves] and use a high rpm tool like a drummel.- I think this door will be alright when it comes in stock... now on to the rest of the project...so that means ill be back...thanks again

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.