1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Here's a couple of choices Rob. :) I know that you don't want to spend much money on an old rig. ;)

linky 1

linky 2 you know those look familiar......hehehe. ;O

linky 3 for $1.99 how could you even NOT buy it.....lol :p

....gm

I'm looking for better deals on your WISH list..... :D Just say it!!!! You LOVE me!!!!!! o_O

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, I think we put in too much time in these forums lol!

LP, well honestly I've never had to re-learn any versions of Office. That's why I said each to his own as Office works great for me but not for you. No hard feeling, I still love all of you(in a non homo fashion lol).

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: The Gecube X1950Pro could potentially be one of the worst video cards ever made. Don't recommend him that. You can almost get an HD3850 for that money.

He_Man: That's a fine parts list.

Abuzar: Open office works fine, but for the occasional file corruption. Back it up and you'll be fine. You're mad if you don't back up important documents anyway. If you don't use Linux simply because you couldn't figure out how to do something, you've got a short attention span, and you didn't look hard enough. For its own unique uses, Linux is awesome. I'd never use it for a gaming PC, but most of the time it's fine. As far as Flash goes, half the time it doesn't work for me even in windows, I wouldn't criticise Ubuntu for that.

Greensman: RAID pulls high transfer speeds but realistically, it's just not worth the cost or risk. Liquid nitrogen CPU cooling is awesome, but how often do you see it? Just because THG did it doesn't mean it's what you should do.

As far as office goes, I use a copy of Office 2000 which let's say, I didn't purchase. 2000 works fine for me, though I'll eventually have to put 2003 on there for my computing work.

On the fan front, these are quiet but excellent:
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/11485/80MM-B/Nexus Technology/
    these aren't quite so quiet, but push lots of air
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/27095/HFF-1N08N/HIPER/

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Because Microsoft donates Software, Computers and Money to the School Systems! They want the kids to know the name "Micro$oft"! Good PR for the future! Half the kids already have an X-Box, so the connection is natural and obvious! I believe that this comes under the heading of "Cover your A$$"! Micro$oft wants their business and oh yes, their money!

Russ

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman

i think i have done all im gonna do to that old system. i got everything out of it now, onlything in it is the mobo some small sticks of pc133 mem,and a super small gpu

just gonna wait on my build ;)

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam just because they had problems with the AGP version. I don't see how he will get a 3850 for a 100 dollars. As far as FPS goes the 1950 Pro is MUCH faster than the 8600GT. I think he said he doesn't game much. Well I don't think he wants to pay 80 dollars more for a video card, the X1950 Pro is only about 15 dollars more. If he does then, yes, the 3850 is an EXCELLENT choice(notice the caps? lol).

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@greensman

Hey CincyRob can always use the case as a foot stool..lol he off today kick'in back learning a few things about a build.I can't wait to see his first build and how it comes out and he left me here at work in charge so.i can't play as much but.i did pick up a new pci card to hook up my pata drives.i'll play with that when.i get home tonite well back to baby sitting..fellows

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

You might be right. lol. With the cold weather here and having issues with my frikkin GPU I've spent WAY to much time here. ;)

THANK GOODNESS you put that last part in parenthesis. ;) hehehe. ;P

I worry about the lot of you in respect to that. :p

....gm

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well most of us safely like girls. Now Sam says he will find out later, so lets pray for him lol.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now that s funnny right there i dont care who ya are....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dude you just quoted the whole thing lol.

This one girl I knew said Love was too strong of a word when I told her that, I should have used "like". I'm like love like same thing.

Too bad she moved. She had a nice rack, nice ass, and a face to go along with it lol.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm at a loss as to how you can recommend such fans. Granted the claim for the first one is OK because you're not claiming it moves a lot of air, but to claim that the second one pushes lots of air is ridiculous! It moves 21.24 CFM for God's sake. 1 CFM more than the Nexus which moves 20.2 CFM!

The airflow in my case exchanges the air completely approximately 60 times a minute and my temps stay nice and cool. It would take 5 of either of those blowing out to do the same job, and that would depend on how much intake area and where it's located as to how effective it would be! There are other fans in the same RPM range that will move more air, with very little difference in noise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220024

One of these would move a lot more air and at 1600 RPM, it wouldn't be any louder than the HiperFlow doing it! 2DBa louder than the Nexus, but with 1/3 more airflow!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

NIce find there Russ. ;) I always forget to look at the EGG for case fans. I get stuck looking at svc.com. lol. :p

I'll look into some Silverstones but the Cooler Masters I'm using are whisper quiet and push enough air for me. lol. ;) Anyway thanks for pointing out some other fans and another source (that I forgot about).

....gm

btw check your PM's Russ. :D

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Man those fans are expensive!

I seriously wouldn't consider spending that much money on fans when stock fans aren't THAT bad.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Nope, the AGP that had issues was the X1950XT, not the Pro. There were also big problems with the PCIe version of the Pro. Gecube ones weren't quite so bad, but Powercolor models were terrible.
    On the whole, the X1950 Pro is a great video card, but avoid those two brands at all costs!
    Russ: We've been over this before. Unless a brand is on your 'naughty list' you take their specification as gospel. I can tell you now the 2000rpm Hiper moves a significant amount of air for an 80mm, what with me owning one. If it were me now, I'd buy the Nexus model too, now realising just how good they are, but I thought I'd leave open the choice. The Hiper fan at full chat is quieter than any 120mm at a decent speed. Of course it'll still move less air, but it's a nice quiet fan for an 80mm.
    That silverstone isn't exactly ideal is it? It's basically a 92mm fan with an 80mm mount. Unless you've got a bizarre case, it may as well be an 80mm fan since the rest of the airflow will be blocked.

Abuzar: Depends whose stock fans. NZXTs are pretty good, a lot of other companies like Thermaltake leave a lot to be desired.

16. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Are those AAKS drives i highlighted just the same but lower size capacity?

[​IMG]

I like that 320gb drive for price.

Is the NCQ technology worth getting?
    I read on wikipedia(forgive my nubness on that) that it prolongs your drive life. :p

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The KS has 16MB cache I believe. I think the JS is only 8MB.
    As far as NCQ goes, I've no idea. I see no reason not to get it.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't really have any complaints about the Thermaltake fans, but I guess I don't do all the measuring and stuff you guys do.

Heman, wikipedia is a great resource, albeit in-accurate sometimes. Anyway about NCQ, it seems the general consensus is that it is useful for power users and not really for normal people like us. I think what it does is that it organizes how the head moves in the hard drive. From what I've read it's for people that move a lot of data that is all over the place on their hard drive. It can't be any harm in getting it though, you might need it.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

DOUBLE POST

Sorry

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Since I had to go into the office this morning, I took the opportunity to take 5 Silverstone fans with me, along with my case cover to mount them on and had the Engineer test them in the Anechoic Chamber. I'm just flat tired of SPRC and their BS concerning these fans! Silverstone does not support SPRC, so they get bad ratings. This stops here, as here are the results on 4 80MM and 1 120mm fan. 2 of the 80mm were brand new in the package, 1 came out of my machine and 1 came out of Russells. the 120mm is from my computer.

All 80mms were tested mounted in my side cover

FN-82 80mm 92mm blade, Sleeve bearing, intake/exhaust. Rated 2100 rpm @26 dBA 36.89 cfm. Test 24.3dBA Used, from Russell's computer.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999348

FN-83 80mm 92mm blade, Sleeve bearing, exhaust. Rated 1600 rpm @19.8 dBA 31.52 cfm. test 20.3 dBA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220024

FM-83 80mm 92mm blade, ball bearing, exhaust. Rated 1300 - 3600 rpm @19.0 - 41.2 dBA 25.6 - 74.5 cfm. Test at 1300 rpm 23.6 dBA New! Same test with used fan 20.7 dBA. Test at 3600 rpm 43.4 dBA new. test at 3600 rpm 41.4 dBA used.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220023

FM-121-B 120mm 9 blade, ball bearing intake/exhaust. Rated 800 - 2400 rpm @17 - 39.5 dBA Test at 800 rpm 21.8 dBA. Test at 1300 rpm 24.7 dBA. Test at 2400 rpm 40.6 dBA.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220014
    You may wonder why a used fan is quieter. All ball bearing fans will get quieter after a reasonable amount of time because the balls and races bed in which polishes the races and balls to a perfect fit. please note that I had absolutely nothing to do with these tests! All I supplied were the fans and my side cover, as I'm not allowed to touch the sound testing equipment. besides I had work of my own I was doing, and the Engineer was only there so I could get in and take care of drawings with the plotter that were needed for mon. AM! The Engineer has been employed by the company for over 25 years, and his job is to test every turbine built by the company, which amounts to more than a hundred thousand a year. He knows more about sound and sound characteristics then I will ever know. If he says these are the results, you can take that to the bank!

Both the FM-83 and the FM-121-B come with speed controllers and will never need to be run any where near the maximum speed. I use both in my computer and while not silent, they are quieter than the stock CM fan that came with my case! The FM-121-B is a little on the high side price wise, but I haven't found another fan that will move as much air at 1300 rpm (Aprox 68 cfm) and be as quiet doing it!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.