1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

they mean a WHOLE system, normally inc 4-5 HDD and 2 opticals, along with all ubss being used, and 3 fans, with an Extreme QX.

hx620 can RUN SLI GTXs with EASE, even with OCed parts. BTW never OC on a crap PSU, caus the rails may not be stable enough to give the correct volts all the time.

Trust me, the corsairs HX series are on of the best PSUs EVER. GET THEM!

OMG OcUK have an amazing deal on some of this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC

OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series

£25.84 inc VAT

- 800MHz DDR2
    - CL 4-4-4-15 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
    - Platinum Mirrored XTC* Heatspreader
    - OCZ Lifetime Warranty
    - 1.9-2.0 Volts
    - 240 Pin DIMM
    - OCZ Enhanced Latency Technology
    - 2.2V EVP**

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's nutty cheap...

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Bladerz05
    Get a 750...a 550 will leave you hanging...High & Dry...
    A 620 might work...but you will be...Right on the Edge...there is No Reason to go Smaller...
    I would have went with the 750 Quad PC Power& Cooling...with your case design...it would isolate the airflow to your P/S...and CPU...however...the Corsair is a solid P/S...and it is the minimal I would recommend...especially since there is No Real Difference in Price..:)

@sam
    Yea...Drop the wattage...just for Modular Cables...thats a real smart trade off...next your going to tell me...modular cables provide stability...and increase airflow...

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

one of my buddies replaced his EVGA 7950GT with a 8800GT. he said he would let me have the 7950GT for $100. is that a good deal for someone like me that doesn't do much gaming? how does it compare to my X850XT PE? you know me, since I don't game much, I don't keep up on GPU's.

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    That is a good price...but...you can get...a brand new equal...or better performing card...for the same price...

I would wait for the...3400 or 3600 series...they are coming out this month...

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes it is much better than X850XT! I would say it's pretty good for the price.

7. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm sorry you disagree Lp, but it's a widely known fact that 620W Corsair units can handle dual graphics systems without breaking a sweat, including the X1900 and X1950 series, which use a very similar amount of power to the 3800s, and also 8800s which clearly use more. There's no tradeoff, you get modular cables, and there's no loss of performance. I fail to see how simply adding a second graphics card to a system will add nearly 300W to it's power draw, it just doesn't happen. The 750W TX and Silencer Quad are both fabulous units, but when it comes down to it 750W just isn't necessary in my book.
    A 7950GT is a good deal for when they first come out, but if I'm honest, it's not enough of an upgrade from your X850 to be justified. Not when HD3850s are a mere 50% more, or as Lp mentions, you could get a mega cheap HD3600 series card.

GreG: Beatiful. But you knew I'd say that... No power LED?

10. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Fingerprint wise, it does attract alot but meh dont bother me. As for power LED, i will hook that up later. Ill try some cable management aswell.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, your side case fan cable looks a little untidy. It's interesting the Blackline doesn't have the side strut that mine does. That can be useful for hiding cables.
    Also, is the side window inset, or is there a protective film you haven't removed?

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I wouldn't call a 7950GT a small upgrade from the X850XT. It is decently better lol.

What equal performing card can be had for a 100?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I say, it's cheap for $100, but from an X850XT you have to consider whether the upgrade is necessary if you don't game often.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Sam
    Except 130watts of power...that is a considerable trade off...just to have modular cables...which offer No Improvement in Performance...

Frankly I don't understand your logic...Arguing that someone is buying to big of a P/S...just shows that all you want to do is argue...first you stated...a "550 P/S would run a quad core and (2) 8800GTX's in SLI"...then you posted a chart showing that it wouldn't...stating that it would...Can you even read the chart you posted...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lp - I don't set out to argue with people, but I seem to have the unfortunate habit of confusing people.

As it so happens, in the US, the 750W PCP&C and TX units are similarly priced to the 550W VX and 620W HX models. In the UK, pricing structure is a little different. When people turn up with 900W PSUs in their system that wouldn't draw more than 300, you've got to admit it's a waste. This is the same but to a lesser scale. All I'll say is read the exact wording of my earlier post carefully.
    So help me god though, I'm not getting into another argument.
    Let him get a 750W PSU, it makes no odds to me...

I could care less about modular cables, as you've probably seen my case is pretty untidy. Others, however, like to clean up their cables, and all the lengthy redundant wires feature in non-modular units can get pretty cluttersome. Like I say though, I don't gain or lose anything from people shelling out on a 750W PSU, so why should I argue to the ends of the earth to stop somebody buying one?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Did I tell him to get a 900watt P/S...for a 300watt computer...How is that the same...I read your post...I understand what you said...and You are Wrong...
    Then why did you post your comments...and why are you doing...the same thing to me...that made theonejrs and Mort leave...
    Your telling people to buy expensive items...that will not work adequately...for there system...You are misleading people...and costing them money...One should never buy a P/S that is just big enough...because if you make any changes...your Screwed...

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

@sam and Lp,
    There's no REAL winning that "argument" since you can spend about the same money on a 750W that you can spend on a 650W. I think the 750W gives you more head room and therefore more capabilities down the road. ;) BUT in all honesty the 650W will more than likely do what he (Blade) wants it too. ;)

I will say this, the CM-850W p/s is REALLY stable. :D I don't have any experience with the 750W model but I would bet money it would be about the same. And for $70 after MIR I would get it!!!! Of course I'm talking about the Real Power Pro series.

Hey Mort...
    tom's vga chart comparison

7950's at the EGG

Seems like a good upgrade to me but I would think at least looking at the new HD3600 series is worth the time. ;) Are you interested in HD/BlueRay playback? If so then another card would be needed I'm pretty sure. ;)

....gm

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For the record, a pair of 3870s with a quad core CPU will draw about 450W full load, AT THE WALL. Using a generous, but typical (of decent units) 85% efficiency rating, that's about 380-390W. Would I recommend the VX 450W in this scenario? Of course not. Would I recommend the 520W HX? Nah. 550W VX? Maybe, probably not though. 620W HX? Definitely.
    Now if we were talking about a pair of 8800 Ultras, which we ->weren't<- then you get a bit too close to 500W for your 600W unit to be a wise decision, especially as we mentioned if you want to upgrade. For this example, I'd have no hesitation in recommending a 750W unit. It makes good sense.
    Problem is, as you've rightly mentioned, the 620W unit is perilously close to the 750s in terms of cost. So why not go with the 750, you can upgrade later, right? All this said, unless you're pretty rich or have a fantastic deal from your electricity supplier, the figures I posted about having the three 8800s would make a lot of people think twice about upgrading much in their system to add to their energy usage, so whilst having upgrade potential is always nice, in the power consumption department it's not always as relevant as one might think. In the example posted before there's over 200W of headroom if you use a 620W corsair, and the units have been stress tested sufficiently to say that they could run all day maxed out. Nobody in their right mind would do this, but as mentioned before, there's 200+ watts to spare before you start getting short.
    Either way, the 750W unit is a tempting proposition, but for the fact it doesn't carry modular cables. The purists among us reject the modular system as unnecessary, and claim it has known issues with connector reliability. If it happens, I've never seen it. A lot of people like their modular cables, what can I say?
    Essentially, what it therefore boils down to is that you can either have lots of headroom and modular cables, or you can have fixed cables and loads of headroom.

I'm done now. If there's anything I've forgotten that sways the balance in the favour of the 750s, so be it, I give up.

On a slightly less tedious note, greensman, how is your coolermaster unit holding up, how accurate are the rails etc. ?

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

come on now i know there is atleast 1 snow fairy out there!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)`

edit to add
    dumb question here dont know if i should ask. but i dont know and i want to.. what does that mean????

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whoa calm down guys. I guess all it boils down to in the end is Performance(750W) vs Convenience(650W).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.