1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banned4gd

banned4gd Guest

RAM is RAM for the most part with the exception of the implemented technology. Warranty, reliability and company stability are the key things to look for.........oh yeah..........as well as reviews.

I recommend OCZ. I just put in 4GB (Vista and XP only utilize 3.3GB) in my Vista Ult. machine and it's 800Mhz and it's cool running, fast timing and backed by warranty (lifetime). A little power hungry at 2.1V needed but I just clocked up the Mobo .3 Crucial is great. Kingston is great too.

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO BODY wants to see that!!! lol. BUT if any of you do send me your Email addy and I'll forward it right to your "door step". hehehe. :D

NO dumb questions here rob, you know that. ;) I think that p/s (CM-850w) has 6 18A rails....and I feel that they are all pretty stable. I gave a "screeny" of Everest that shows some of the voltages but no one has answered on the availability of another progie besides speedfan that will do the same thing but differently. lol. I tried some others last night for temps and it seems that Coretemp worked pretty well with my setup. ;)

...gm

3. banned4gd

banned4gd Guest

Although I feel that overclocking is pretty unnecessary........my ears did perk up when you mentioned 3.6.......WOW??

The E6600 is 2.4. Is that possible and SAFE???

My rig.

Intel D975XBX2 IntelĀ® 975X LGA775 ATX
    Core2Duo E6600 (2.4)
    OCZ 800Mhz "OCZ2P800R22GK" (4GB)
    Antec Neo Power 550W
    Ati X1950 Pro PCIe (soon to be 2 crossfired)
    (1) Samsung IDE 160GB HDD (Main drive believe it or not)
    (1) WD 320GB Sata 1.5Gbps
    (1) Maxtor 500GB Sata 3.0Gbps
    (1) Sony DVD RW DL 18x or 16x (can't recall)
    (1) Samsung SH-s203 DVD RW DL 20x (world's fastest!!) w/lightscr.
    No floppy (only a retard puts a floppy in unless truly needed)

MS ergo 4000 KB
    MS laser mouse Bl Tth 8000 mouse

Windows experience index of 5.3 (only because I have 2.4 and not 3.0Ghz proc. and if I had a P4 3.0 THEN it would give a 5.8/5.9)

BUILD FOR LESS THAN A GRIP (1000.00)

My machine was built to be part of my Home Theatre system for over 8 years now. Sits right next to TV and used as gaming, DVD, music, Internet etc.

To be honest.............it SCREEEAAAMMMMS!!!! Nothing so far it can't handle at the higher detail level (have not played Crysis yet though).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Laptop question..Hopefully answered..I've got a Toshiba Laptop M115-S1061..It powers up to the safe mode,last known good configuration screen.Can not get past this screen,changed C-Mos settings to boot from CD/DVD Rom..But even the recovery disc will not boot.Tech Support is as useless as tits on a Bull..I'm thinkin that the DVD Drive might be bad,do I have to take the LapTop apart to remove the drive..I noticed,that when I open the drive the small optic retainer has 2 small screws & a small ribbon cable

5. banned4gd

banned4gd Guest

If your computer's power requirements are 600 Watts and you elect to install a 750 Watt power supply.......THEN YOU WILL NOT SEE A PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE OVER USING A 650 WATT SUPPLY. This is not an opinion, this is an electrical engineering fact.

6. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

thats a damn good deal on ram...this ram was brought up earlier but it was recommended to go with the ballistix...lol im not sure what i want to get.
    btw i would prolly go with 4gb of that OCZ Reaper 800 whereas i would only go with
    2gb of the ballistix 1066

IS 1066 really that much better than 800?
    i saw some memory benchmarks and in almost all cases they all were pretty neck in neck in all catagories (sorry no source to back it up)

@ Sam & LP
    so it would be wise to consider a 700 watt setup? and in this case cheaper would be better and i should go with the OCZ PSU

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Here's a link with comparison (prices) for the EGG on DDR2 800 RAM. I chose these for reliability and brand "awareness". ;) don't forget the OCZ link at buy.com link

I think sorta like banned4gd does. lol. RAM is RAM to a point BUT be sure you get "quality" RAM and "compatible" RAM as well. Your mobo manufacturer should have some kind of "compatibility" chart for RAM and their mobo. :D

I'm NOT sam or Lp (thank goodness....hehehe) but I would really look at your setup and determine the LEAST amount of power you will use at PEAK performance and go at least 100W over that. My personal opinion is that you will need that power at some point. If you OC your system then it will draw more power, if you add loads of goodies in there it will need more power. And so on. But in the end it's your decision and we're just here for suggestions and advice. TAKE advice from whoever you want to but I say again MORE power will not hurt you if you buy a 750W p/s. :p

good luck to you........ ;)

....gm

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

9. banned4gd

banned4gd Guest

Ok............that's cool........BUT, I am going to assume this is YOUR rig. You're the man, the maintainer, the builder and IF that's the case you should have the say. Personally..........I totally dig the one in the middle at the bottom of the page that has the aluminum to it.

"Cooler Master CX-830DMSK-01 Limited Edition Stacker 830 CSX - Diamond Plate and Skulls" is the one. This one's just DOPE!!!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, expensive. Make damn sure that's the case you want before you order that bad boy. The Stacker 830 evo's nice, but the paintjob... Well, let's just say it takes "personal preference" to another level... :p

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

had i the money, i would by a Commodore PC case

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Somebody said something about needing 1066Mhz RAM or not. The OCZ Reaper, while good, I wouldn't call it top class RAM. Even if you have very good 800 ram you're looking at 3.6 Ghz at decent timings.

Now if I were you I would want more than that. I already made that mistake and I don't want other to do the same lol.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob,
    Did she see the PRICE tag?? If I recall that would be more than you want to spend TOTAL for your rig. :p

Anyone have any dealings with a Microsoft K80-00034 mouse and if so were they acceptable. ;) link

Looking at getting a "cheap" wireless mouse. ;) tia for your input....

....gm

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    As far as an inexpensive wireless mouse goes, I use a Kensington!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826125037

It has terrific battery life, can use rechargeable batteries as well as 2 AA batteries. The only experience I've had with a M$ wireless mouse has been bad. it just didn't work that well! Don't like their wireless keyboards either! Cheap stuff at cheap prices. Even their wired keyboards and mice aren't that good. the letters wear off the keys in a matter of months and the mouse is very fussy as to what color the surface is you're using it on. Won't work on a black surface at all! My Kensington works fine on all surfaces!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    banned4gd says
    your obviously not married then LOL
    @G.M hi :)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Gurnard: by the way, to quote an individual person, click the link that says "+quote" on the bottom right of their post. The resulting reply page will demonstrate how to type the command.
    Theone: Now that's something I agree on. I haven't used kensington peripherals, but the microsoft keyboards/mice I've had have all been a bit naff. So far my Saitek keyboard and Razer mouse are holding up well. The buttons are still responsive and all the letters on my keyboard are still perfectly formed, and that's after a lot of forum posts and a lot of gaming!

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

banned4gd,

with the right mobo, cpu binning, and hardware it is. I've heard of the E6600 OC'ing as high as 3.96 stable on water. I disagree with the 1st part of your statement. OC'ing is where you get the most bang foy the buck. my E6600 at 3.6ghz will tear up an E6800 but only cost 1/3 of the price. here is where my E6600 runs everyday:

[​IMG]

open my cpu-z validation link in my sig.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi Russ,

welcome back my friend. I have very little experience with M$ mice or keyboards however, I don't like wireless mice or keyboards period. I use and prefer a plain ole logitec keyboard and plain ole logitec optical mouse. nothing fancy. the only wireless mouse I use is for my laptop and it is a Targus.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My school uses Logitech keyboards and mice, and they're pleasant to use. I owned a Logitech media keyboard elite for quite some time too, and that was nice as well, if a little noisy to type with. (Yeah yeah, I know!)
    I'm a bit of a die-hard wired mouse and keyboard fan myself. That's mainly because the only wireless keyboard/mouse I had was a keytronic set that was god awful. I never even considered going back, the cables don't really annoy me much at all.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah Mort your CPU will do much better better than the 6800.

Of course nowadays you can get a E8400 for 230 that will overclock to 4Ghz+ on air! I'm not sure if Quad Core is worth it yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.