1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So 2.2V then, to be safe. Do you think I can make 840mhz with 4 sticks at that voltage?

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My memory is rated at 2.2v but I figured out that 2v is fine for it so I've been running it at that speed. If your memory doesn't get unstable then don't raise the voltage.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

quite easily I would think. what are you're timings at? you might have to loosen them a bit but I doubt you will have to. should still run at 4-4-4-12. when did you get 2 more 2gb sticks?

Greg16,

just my opinion but that case does nothing for me. I'm an old fart though (well 44).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bought them second hand off a guy for £30 a week ago, they're the same CAS4 PC6400 ones I already have. System works fine at my 3.15Ghz OC using them, but only at 2x multiplier. At 2.4x and 840mhz, the system boots but is unstable. I experimented with overclocking my CPU a bit further to see if I could bring the RAM speed up that way, but even only going up to 3.19Ghz caused stability issues as well. I'm now trying lowering the CPU to 3.04Ghz and using 2.4x to achieve a memory speed of 810, rather than 700. I'll see how that benches.

@Mort: lol you do realise I have that case too right? Well, the silver/blue version of.

5. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Shoosh about the monitor guys on my vid.............IT IS 6 years old!!!!!!!

Im going shopping tommorow for a nice Samsung......hopefully!

As for "necessary" software, i have Rivatuner and CoreTemp installed. Anything else?

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

cpu Z gpu Z

3dmark 06

firefox :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, agreed.
    Overclock didn't really go to plan. Couldn't get the system stable in windows with 2.2V at 840mhz, didn't fancy going any higher. Tried upping my multi to 2.4x and reducing the CPU speed to 3.04Ghz, but the end result wasn't that much of a benefit in games etc, so I decided to put things back to how they were. Looks like I need something higher calibre than XMS2 to pull a big OC on 4 sticks...

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know I thought that was some good RAM too. Not managing 840 at 2.2v is kinda pathetic for Corsair(which is supposed to be a good company).

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Can someone please fix their post, whoever it is has severely warped the space time continuum!!! :p I'll even say PLEASE.......

Sorry I guess I'm trying to confuse like sammyboy does. hehehe. :p I meant what progie/software do you use to monitor temps, voltages, fans, and such....... you know something similar to Everest or Speedfan BUT NOT those 2. ;) Speedfan DOES NOT work with my system and unless I missed something in EVerest, some items are NOT seen. My mobo chipset fan for one. ;) Russ any help on that buddy?

I just opened mail (well a couple of hours ago) and Cooler Master had five (5) little checks for me. :D Only one more to go for them.... and waiting on 2 from Corsair and 2 from FoxConn....... Hope I'm not disappointed. It's only been about a month on the Corsair but FoxConn might be trying to OutFox me. hehehe. ;P

.....gm

ON the mouse front, I think I'll just get another LX3 since they are waving shipping fees. ;) I like the one that I have and I know it works with the setup I'm moving to the bedroom for the little lady (really for me...so she'll stay away from the MANputer...hehehe). :D

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only other programs I know that work are Motherboard Monitor 5 and Hmonitor.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greenyboy oops I mean greensman :),

I'll bet it's me that warped your time continuum, space continuum, whatever. sorry, I just assumed everybody has widescreen monitors by now. my bad. I will resize. BTW you owe me now (only jking).

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, it's funny, despite the monitor I have I typically view afterdawn in a window so I can see other applications whilst I'm posting. As such your graph warped my screen ever so slightly! :)
    Thanks for your help so far Mort, I'm going to try CAS5 and see if it'll run at 840 like that. I'm guessing 5-5-5 for the first three timings, what should the last one be, 18?

Interestingly enough, Everest reports that my RAM is only CAS4 capable at 540mhz. At 800mhz it says it's CAS5 latency, despite the product name. Any ideas why that might be?

Also, my CPU voltage switches between 1.163V and 1.325V, and my CPU between 2.1Ghz and 3.15Ghz. Have I got a powersaving feature running I didn't know about?
    [​IMG]

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

you can try 5-5-5-15. not sure why everest only shows your memory as cas 5 at 400mhz. are you postive all four cards are cas 4? not sure about your voltage differences either. maybe you've got a bad voltage regulator. I'm sure you're aware that it is harder to OC with all the dimm slots full.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I was well aware four slots would make it harder to overclock, but since my existing overclock worked fine with the added RAM, I was happy to add it. I've checked and all four sticks are definitely CAS4.
    My Core voltage had reset to stock, and both C1E and EIST were enabled in the BIOS, so I disabled those and upped my core voltage back to it's previous value of 1.39V.
    There's no feature to change my RAM timings in the BIOS! I spent a long time reading through each feature, and it's just not there!
    I had no idea that feature wasn't included in the stock BIOS, or I wouldn't have recommended this board so many times. Maybe revision 2.0 comes with it, I'm not sure.
    What I've tried doing is upping the FSB to 396 rather than 350 and setting the multiplier to x8, so I can get the RAM to 396x2=792mhz. I'll see how that goes. So far so good...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

C'mon you have spent so many years on this computer stuff and you don't know about the code? lol

Press ctrl+F1 in your main BIOS screen and THEN go into the overclocking section of the BIOS.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I can't remember for sure (been a long time since I used gigabyte) but on gigabyte mobos don't you have press f2 or something once you get into the bios to get to advanced settings? you might want to ask Russ. there's got to be a place to set the timings.

edit: nevermind. thanks abuzar.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha no problem. I had to actually read the MANUAL to figure that out.

People aren't supposed to read the manual, but I did. What can I say, I'm a rebel! lol

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Guilty as charged...
    :)
    Thanks for pointing that out, will have a look. Despite the higher memory speed, and slightly higher clock speed my CPU earns me 50 less in 3dmark under its section...

As far as the motherboard goes I had to read it to figure out how to sort out the case panel connectors! I wish I had my Asus EZConnector back lol!

I'll try that and see what happens.
    Thanks for the advice guys,
    to Mort, Lp and theone: Shake hands and make up? :)

Update:
    Found the advanced settings - cheers Abuzar.
    Worryingly when set to Auto, the values of 5-5-5-18 had been allocated, and I remember this being the case with my Asus board as well, with the same RAM. All the labels on the memory are CAS4. Is one of them false?
    Incidentally, speedfan is unable to tell me anything about my RAM whatsoever, other than that I have four sticks of 1024Megabytes, totalling 2048Megabytes.

Can you say O RLY?
    :( - my ver. of CPUZ is v1.36.
    I'll try the newer version.

Addendum:
    All four slots read exactly this:
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8162/cpuzram1jc0.png

Main tab reads like this:
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9793/cpuzram2lk4.png
    The settings which I have changed are:
    Vcore: 1.40V
    FSB Voltage: +0.1V
    RAM voltage: +0.1V
    Automatic voltage adjustment on
    C1E, EIST off
    RAM timings: 5-5-5-18 - all others left as default.
    RAM overclocking is set to Option 1.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I wouldn't worry about it. here's what everest says about mine and pc wizard shows the same:

[​IMG]

and here's cpu-z:

[​IMG]

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, your settings show that your memory IS rated 4-4-4-12 at 800Mhz. Motherboards don't automatically detect EPP settings, you will have to set those yourself, as they go by JEDEC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.