1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well for starters you r build looks good. if it make you happy then your golden, thats all that matters..

now talkin Cracks for programs and such is a no no.might wanna edit that out.... ;)

2. Random5

Random5 Member

Whoops.... Fixed, cheers cincy.

3. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

With my 3870. Using 8.1 Drivers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When i oced my graphics, my card crapped out after the deep freeze test. Looks like ill have to expose my system to 80mph winds just now.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mort: That's fair enough, I may up the vcore slightly and go to 3.2. or maybe beyond... who knows? :) I'm all for round numbers but if I make it to say 3.25, so much the better!
    So the voltage rise in the BIOS starts at 1.8 does it? I'm happy to up the voltage by 0.3, as long as I'm ending up with 2.1 and not 2.4!

Bladerz: I wouldn't say Quad cores are useless for now, if you do graphics/video design or use programs that can make use of all four cores they're definitely worth your while. As far as other applications and gaming go, we're just beginning to see their use trickle through. Give it maybe a year to 18 months and maybe they're worth putting in a gamer system. What I usually tell people is that if they'll upgrade again in the near future, go Dual for now, if they want to keep their PC as is for several years, they may as well go with a quad.

Greg: not a bad score, but it's a little disconcerting that it's barely any higher than the results for an HD3850. As for the overclock, how far did you go? Typically I find knocking one notch off the core solves crashes in 3dmark tests. Memory overclocks never give me crashes, only artifacting, and typically if I don't see it on Atitool's fuzzy cube, I never see it in games.

Greensman: Very nice!

5. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Oh jesus i cant remember but it was def in the 810+ clock region.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How far is your RAM overclocked? In my past experience that not only overclocks further than the core, but also gives more of a benefit.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

download the new bios. and then try. also try other sata ports.

or is the disc a copy? it may have been burned crap.

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

did you know for intel chips, having a a higher latency, does not affect the performance as much as in an AMD chip. infact its better to have a higher latency and a higher OC, rather than the other way around, esp for C2Q that are bandwidth hungry

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Guys I hate Mac just as much as any other decent person, but I'm installing it on my computer anyway. So I can say I hate it because of first person experience. ;)

10. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

I oced my quad to 2.7ghz and temps don't go over 30c. FSB is 300 with DDR2 at 794Mhz.

I found a decent OC on the cards, 815Mhz Clock and 1140Mhz Memory Clock.

11899 now on 3D mark. Will record a run when i fully optimise my system performance.

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

People complain about Microsoft, but at least you dont need hacks to install an OS on a machine you build yourself, only need em to keep it stable...LOL
    Which OS Abuzer, and what method are you using to "patch it in Windows/Linux"?

12. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

Shaffaf

The disc is a genuine Vista Ultimate 64bit.
    I have tried all 6 sata ports but with no joy, like I said the bios detects the sata drive but when vista tries to copy the files to the drive it crashes.

13. jazmanuk

jazmanuk Member

OS now installed, tried new sata cables and everything works like clockwork, did notice the sata cables that came with the mobo looked a tad dirty, cleaned then up with alcohol and now they work too. A tad worrying as these were in sealed bags with the asus board!!!

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's Leopard. Pre-patched. Seems you need specific BIOS settings and a SATA DVD drive. Do you want the torrent?

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

never had a problem with mine. probably just a bad batch, with a Taiwanese person not arsed to to his/her work properly.

16. Cronolink

Cronolink Member

I have a .cnf file which at one criteria needs a path for a .jpg.....is there a code that will alow me to insert multiple files and somehow randomize them...Thank you

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey kinda off topic but me and some of my friends are wanting to do a video show kinda thing. Do you guys know what the best video editing software is? Especially for beginners because I don't know much about it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok guys, it's rapidly approaching crunch time. £139.50 for a Sapphire HD3870. Should I buy it?

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Is this AFTER VAT? If it is then it's a decent enough price, only 276 dollars. That's only a BIT more expensive than what it is here, but it's much less inflation than usual.

Are you sure you don't want to wait for the 3870X2?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, that's after VAT.
    The HD3870X2 is out, but it's £328. No thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.