1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I guess since my video card OC is fine, with no problems, I'll leave well enough alone. Stock the card was at 570/1450. Now it's 650/1600, and it's been that way for about 8 months or so without any problems.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's good, I didn't know that. Although I think what my GPU needs is a volt mod, but I might give it a shot.

3. e_jones

e_jones Guest

budget for the rest of the parts is $500

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What do you already have? I hope you didn't buy the AMD already. You would probably build a core 2 duo for that much money.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@abuzar1

i have a question..i installed this software that came with the board my question is y is the multipier's reading different than the cpu-z is? I don't understand that..
    [​IMG]
    Cpu-z shot below
    [​IMG]
    can you make sense of this? thanks

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

e_jones,
    See! Now you get to learn a bit! You don't want 1 1GB stick! Why? Because the memory will only run in single channel with 1 stick installed. It will only run at half the throughput unless you use 2 sticks. Thats why memory is best bought in pairs. I'm assuming that because this is an older MB that it's socket 939 and has DDR400 memory. Something like this would be a wise choice:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145575
    At $104 after $30 MIR it's an outstanding buy. I use it in my D-940!

For the hard drive I would go with a Seagate 250GB w/16MB L2 Cache Sata 3.0Gb/s. It's a good compromise between size, performance and cost!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

On the Optical drive I'm assuming you need a Burner! All I use for the 45 or so builds I do a year is NEC/Optiarcs for my Burners. Excellent drive and has LightScribe!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118004

As far as the Case goes, you will have to give me more info as I have no idea what you are looking for. I don't like window cases as they more often than not don't cool as well. My previous case had a window and all the lights and frankly it was a pain in the butt with all the damn lights all the time! Everyone has an opinion on cases, so the best thing to do is go to www.newegg.com and when you find something you like copy the URL and post it and then we can tell you if it's a good deal or not. Saves a lot of arguments that way too! It's the old deal where everybody likes "their" case! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bigwill68,,
    Any software that can manipulate your settings in the bios while the machine is running is bad news. Add to that the fact that EasyTune has some known issues with some motherboards and memory. Stick with manual overclocking and get that crap off of your computer before you do have problems! CPUZ and Everest will give you all the information you will ever need to see what your computer is doing! I know it's so easy, but it can be so dangerous too! You roach the bios and it's RMA time! Just letting you know.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Will, you have EIST enabled that's why. Either way I wouldn't use that software. Uninstall it and only mess around with OC in the BIOS.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I apologize for jumping on you about the EasyTune. I was doing about 10 things at the same time and I mistakenly thought it was your post! I'll change it to Will and reword it a bit! Sorry man!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On the case front, there are a lot of excellent case with windows so don't let Russ' warning put you off, but he does have a point when you drop the budget somewhat. The cheaper cases you find with lights, bizarre plastic sculptures, demons aliens and gremlins on them can often be a pain in the proverbial. If you're going to get a case that's half decent, the sort of things I usually recommend are stuff like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119094
    Or ones like these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146028

Beyond that level I usually say
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146018
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

There's not a lot of similarity between the two products I've posted in each group, but they're cases I know are well made and will cool a system well enough.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I had a window case for over two years, and at first I missed the window when I got this one, but now I don't miss it one bit. I can go to sleep downloading something large and the room isn't all lit up! LOL!!

There are over 600 Mid and full Tower cases on Newegg, and about 100 other sizes as well. I personally am not going to recommend any case to anyone anymore because everyone has their own idea of what the best case is. Every time someone recommends a case we get the same bunch of recommendations over and over with everyone pushing their favorite! I figured that by recommending that they look on Newegg and other places and then post what they see that they like and then ask our advice, we can avoid the same thing over and over all the time. Especially when more than half the cases on the market are absolute rubbish anyway! Considering that case prices can run anywhere from $13 to $600 and even more for some of the Custom paint job ones, to me it's a good idea to just let them choose something and ask our opinion. Saves an awful lot of repetitive posts too! Just my opinion of course, but I think it's a good idea! The only thing that's gonna count in the end is if they're happy with it when they do buy one.

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I often say "case is personal preference, but check out these".
    As far as the lighting goes, it depends how many illuminated components you have inside. If you wire your lighting to a switch and avoid using too many LED fans you can put the PC in stealth mode so you can get some sleep!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    More so than any other thing you purchase for your computer. You would be very surprised at some of the cases that some people think are good looking that I think are flat ugly! LOL!! We also live in a world where "Form" is far more important than function, and how much it costs is the most important thing! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha well indeed, I know someone who thinks the Raidmax Scorpio is beautiful... I think it's hideous... All told you probably think my cases are hideous.
    Ultimately though I'm happy to spend more than usual on a case if it looks good, but in order to do so it also has to cool well. I don't spend money for nothing! :)

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

dont forget quietness sam :p

wouldnt the cosmos 1000 be perfect for you?

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah they will work fine :)

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob I've already voiced my opinion on the 631. ;) Those fans will be fine as far as fitting. :)

Good luck with your build. :D

....gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well the MOBO and the case and fans i will order next weekend. then the rest in another 2 weeks if everything goes right..lol

20. FredBun

FredBun Active member

lol, I sense a little battle of the witts there, look guys, in no way would I even attempt to give an argument or an opinion when it comes to computer knowledge, but let me say something in just shear commin sense which is all I have to give.

Both of you guys are right in your own ways, but if I had to side with one of you it would have to be a little more advantage for russ, and no sammy don't go over to battle with this lol, and no I am not siding more with russ cause he's older and wiser which usually comes with our age, most of the time anyway, some still stay stupid after 60 and those never will get it anyway, but back to subject, you bet, one guy will say its great and good looks another guy will say it sucks, thats just human nature, when people go into battle over it than it can becomes annoying, we all have our picks, just don't go over the next level and do battle, cause this is what happins.

I have seen over the last several years here great minds leave AD cause of that reason, and who suffers, guys like myself, I check out everybody's opinion here, stupid or smart as it may be, becaue out of so many opinions I get to chose one that kinda sounds right to me, and if it does I ask more about it, if I don't like the answer I go to the next one and so on, but I would never know unless I had the option of so many opinions, and its up to me to weed out the dummies to the major league guys like russ and sammy, and no don't anybody say ok fred is kissing ass again, by no means, I'll tell you were to get off in a second but will always try and be a gentlman first lol, I just know quality when I see or hear it.

So my main reason am saying all this, don't none of you get annoyed and leave, don't become abscent, guys like myself relly heavy on you guys, I think a little while back russ kinda disapeared for a while, I don't know if somebody pissed him off or not, if you gotta go cause your buzy fine, but don't dissapear cause somebody pisses you off, and keep giving your opinions no matter what, your opinions is how we gain knowledge, and free knowledge at that, and thats the best bargain you can get anywhere in these times, so just keep up the good work, cause don't forget, without you guys around how in the hell would I build my first pc, just watching the clock tick for summer time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.