1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    LOL!! Newegg doesn't show a window for that case. My bad! My only criticism is where these "Moron" engineers put the USB ports, Firewire and the sound jacks, right on the top where all the dust and dirt can collect. Almost as bad as the cheap cases that suck air in through those ports. That's alright, Dell is even dumber and theirs do suck air! If the computer is on the floor or a low shelf you have to almost get on your knees to plug something in because you can't see the damn ports, as they're recessed inside the front cover!

FredBun,
    No battle of wits I can assure you! LOL!! I personally would rather see no case recommendations at all, as there's way too much controversy when it comes to cases. There's just too many cases and everybody has their favorites. I'm just as guilty as anyone else! Let them post a URL so we have an idea of what they want and then tell them whether their choice is good or bad, and why. It keeps the personal part out of it and keeps us from page after page of the same discussion every time someone asks about a case. When there's 700+ cases available on Newegg, and more than half of them are junk, it gets a little out of hand sometimes, only to be repeated the next time someone asks about what case to buy! LOL!!

I might as well throw a couple of rocks at the Newbies as well. Guys! do a little bit of reading on the thread before you post a question. Go back a bit and see what's going on before you start asking. I can't tell you how many times we answered the same question 1 or 2 pages ago. I realize it's asking a lot to ask just about anyone under the age of 35 to read anything these days, but we're here to help, not powder your behinds! I especially love the one or two PMs I get every month that give me a list of what they're looking for and want me to find the best deal for them. I feel like asking them if they can spell "google"! Most don't even say please or would you mind! A typical PM goes something like "Read a couple of your posts, you seem to know your stuff. Here's a list of what I want, would you get the best prices and get back to me"! Thankfully that type doesn't stay around very long because I just ignore them!

There's a saying. "God helps them that helps themselves" Enough said!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Exactly how we should do it, I was looking for a suitable way of saying it!

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

quote from russ

I realize it's asking a lot to ask just about anyone under the age of 35 to read anything these days, but we're here to help, not powder your behinds! I especially love the one or two PMs I get every month that give me a list of what they're looking for and want me to find the best deal for them. I feel like asking them if they can spell "google"! Most don't even say please or would you mind!

LOL, I could never have said it better, slam dunk big guy.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Maybe we ought to talk to the powers that be and see about a "Newbie Button" with some dos and do nots, nicely worded of course. Not so much rules, but just a request that they help us help them! The ones that don't want to be bothered we don't want anyway, so it would be no loss!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It would be nice...

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@abuzar1

ok i'll try that out..i unstlled the other software.I just put it in to see what it doe's and you all said seem to be a bad option to go with.I'm just learning as.I go on these things be patient with me as .i learn remember.I'm from the old school of the p2& p3 error.lol

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey guys so I'm on a Mac now. Leopard in fact...

It's HORRIBLE! I want XP back!

I miss my games and all my compatible programs. This shit is so gay. Al it does is look good, I can't imagine doing REAL work on this thing. Hell I like to design websites and I would still prefer XP.

I'm gonna boot-camp into Vista now(it's almost as good as XP now, only about a 5% performance hit if you have enough RAM and plus I lost my XP disk).

Only reason I installed this was as an selling point...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bigwill68,
    What does that make me? My first build was a 386! LOL!! Sorry for the confusion the other day. I somehow got mixed up and thought your post was Abuzar's and chewed on his leg a bit! The damn print is so tiny when you scroll down while replying to a post. I apologized, but I think he's still mad at me! LOL!!

The reason that type of software is so potentially dangerous is because the changes are held in memory until you re-boot, if something goes wrong you can lose your bios and can't recover it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Lol I'm not mad at you. I didn't even see the post! You edited it too fast.

Ugghh I ca't get bootcamp to work. Leopard thinks my 250GB drive is 128Gb. How gay...

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Yeah, but everyone else did! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bigwill, old school of the p2 & p3, i predate you back to xt turbo & no hard drive.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh but you were around when they invented dirt. hehehe. :p

...gm

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

P2 was OLD school? lol I remember when Pentium mmx was the shit.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm glad to here some feedback on Leopard. I almost bought it when it first came out cause it was only $99. I've heard so many good things about MAC stuff but I know very few people that use them unless they're into some real video editing stuff. :D

I'd be curious to see how you liked it if you gave it a chance and were able to "find" progies for it. :)

....gm

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gm, i'm not that old as i think i'm about your age maybe!!! do you hear that approaching thunder?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why should I try to find programs for it? I already have programs for Windows that are better than anything on a Mac! Mac might be good for Video Editing but not much more. Real WORK is done on Windows and Linux.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    I only invented mud! LOL!! Try CPM on a Z-80 with 8" Winchester drives! ROFLMAO Not really sure if you're old enough to remember that. Sam would go crazy with the noise of those old Winchesters winding up! LOL!! jk The 386SX was my first build back in 89! It was an AMD 40MHz chip!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ok guys I'm officially on Vista now. FYI it takes up about 200 more MB of ram. Of course I haven't installed CCC and Zune yet. So I'm guessing Vista using about 400MB extra Ram for no reason.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nah..... NO thunder here. :p

I can't remember your age or don't know it. ;) 39 here and I remember AT's and XT's. We had to "program" in college on those. lol. Fotran if I remember right. :D

....gm

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Sure there's a reason. It keeps the memory manufacturers in business! LOL!! Think about it. 2000 ran fine on 1GB, XP-Pro runs fine on 2GB with the C2Ds and now you need 4GB for vista with the Quads! LOL!! You can run less memory on all of them, but performance suffers.

greensman,
    Scientific, wasn't it? I had Pascal and Machine language.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.