1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Cool that makes sense, however in real world terms for someone not into overclocking or games will I see much actual improvement between a 4-4-4-12 and a 5-5-5-12.

Also whats the easiest way to find out what my current (probably generic RAM) runs at?

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

the difference = £6 hehehehe. :p

NO really the DFI set is optimized for a certain DFI mobo. ;) Check the description.

The difference between C4 and C5 is basically tighter timings. The C4 can conceivably go FASTER than the C5 and therefore make your puter faster. ;) hth.... I'm not very good at explaining stuff.

....gm

taken from here.... linky

3. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

I have this ram. Only had to go into BIOS to change it to 4-4-4-15.
    Oced to just under 900Mhz at 1.8v at 5-5-5-23(could get away with lower i think) when ocing my quad to 3.6Ghz.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the link, but thats not gonna do me any good here in the states...lol
    plus that looks like someone just got out a rotozip cut a hole in the panel and slaped some plexy glass on it..lmao. i think i could do that myself...

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ok lool. yeah, but it is the CM window. blame them :D

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yo guys, anyone here is razor fan? cause i love their products, but don't know which Keyboard to get, they both so good.

the Razor Lycosa and the Razor Tarantula keyboard.

7. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

I would take a Saitek Eclipse 2 Keyboard out of personal taste.

NZXT Red LED Fans + Razer Diamondback 3G Red + Saitek Eclipse 2 Red + Dark Room = Awesome

But still not as awesome as this,

[​IMG]

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@Greg LOL!

@Greg and Shaf
    I love Razor Mice too, especially the Lachesis mice 4000dpi!
    Why Razor keyboard not that good? and what do you think of the new Saitek Cyborg?

10. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Okay this is where I am at the moment:-

CPU - £105.69 - Thats a Gimme :)

MOBO 1 - £69.31 - Current first choice
    MOBO 2 - £70.01 - Think its a newer one of the first. or
    MOBO 3 - £70.97 - Like the eSata on the rear IO.

RAM 1 - £35
    RAM 2 - £41.11
    RAM 3 - £34.02

CASE 1 - £46.94 - Does anyone know difference between the KKN1 and the KKA1 versions.
    CASE 2 - £41

£256.94 with current first options.

Ive been thinking about heatsinks, as Im gonna build this myself anyway would it be worthwhile replacing the stock heatsink and if so can someone recommend a good (very) cheap one like THIS. (From ebuyer would be good then could get free delivery along with the ram :))

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol he is indeed awesome. As for the red lights, it's cool. Red lighting isn't all that common these days and IMO is cooler than Blue.
    GTR: I don't see why the Razer keyboard would be bad, but it's nothing special, and last time I checked it was expensive. The Eclipse II is a reasonable price and very well made, not to mention looks awesome.

Pepp: The E6750 is only £11 more: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...o+E6750+2.66GHz+(Retail+775)+?productId=27972 Sure you can't stretch? lol
    As for the Gigabyte boards, having DDR3 support for the future is useful but I wouldn't pay a lot for it. Fortunately it looks like it's only 70p. That seems worth the bother to me! The Asus board has 6 S-ATA ports if you use the eSATA, but the Gigabyte board has 6 you can use internally, and if you want external ones, the board comes with a free bracket to use two e-SATA ports, not to mention an external molex connector to power them too!
    As for the RAM, You probably won't notice the impact of CAS5 over CAS4. If you want a top performing CPU though, £7 isn't too much to spend to get better stuff. I'd definitely go for the Corsair over the OCZ.
    On the case front, the Dominator's better. Get it from Scan and you can grab the side panel too, if that's your thing...
    The heatsink you've chosen is about the best inexpensive heatsink there is. I would only ever settle for that or a Thermalright Ultra-120A. Any equivalent Zalmans are more expensive than both and collect dust like nobody's business. I've had one, I know!

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

The Gigabyte mobos are different models. The P35 is a Ver 1 with a parallel port in the rear (Ver 2 has extra USB slots in place of the parallel port). The P35C is a Ver 2 model with the extra USB slots BUT that mobo also allows 4 sticks of DDR2 RAm or 2 sticks of DDR3 Ram. I'm not a big fan but some of the guys have one here and like them. ;)

Don't know anything about the ASUS. Hopefully someone else will chime in. ;)

I still like the OCZ ram I linked you too. (i think it's your first choice)

On the cases, either one will do. Choose the one you like, don't let us make up your mind. I have the CM-690, it has it's pros and cons. :D

...gm

edit:
    little sammy beat me to it.....lol

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

14. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Right Decision made thanks for the input guys, Im going to go with the following:-

e6750 (but will use Stock Cooler to save the extra).
    CM-690 - Have finally finished reviews of the others I was interested in and this has the nicest layout and features.
    Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R - now I know it comes with an eSata plate.
    And the OCZ Platiunum Ram

And only £25 over budget. Not too bad I spose - and hopefully will be able to sell off my old comp for about £100 (would need only a PSU to work).

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

what are you doing for gfx and PSU

16. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Thats a sound investment Pepp. If anyone needs a 3870 cheap,

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

Scroll down for powercolor 3870 for £138

Oh and can anyone recommend any good speakers?

I also heard something wacky on YouTube. A guy put in one of those gaming soundcards and he said the fps in his games increased.....wacko?

He also had dual 8800GTX's and was getting about 117fps in Canyon Flight, he paid about £500 for that graphics power(BFG cards)
    I pay £150 for 70fps. Not bad.

17. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

@shaffaaf

The rest of the build will include the following:-

Corsair HX520 PSU - about 1 month old (old PSU dying damaged my comp Ive tested the ram, the HDs and everytime I test the CPU it crashes so I think it got damaged when the PSU failed. But then it was a cheap build allround - it was my first computer in about 5 years and i was still under the impression higher Ghz was better so went for a Pentium D at 2x3Ghz computer already built off ebay (wont make that mistake again LOL)).
    1 x 250GB SATAII Maxtor HDD
    1 x 500GB SATAII WD HDD
    1 x 500GB USB Maxtor External HDD
    1 x 500GB eSata Seagate External HDD
    2 x Optiarc 5170A DVD Rewriters
    and a lovely Inno3D 8500GT 512mb GPU - came with the last computer but that MOBO has onboard so Ill keep this and then upgrade it in April (my birthday treat to myself) to one more suited to high Def films (one with an HDMI port if anyone knows of one would be great).

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You guys probably don't care but I got Mac OSX Leopard and Windows XP running and Dual booting properly. Man that was such a headache. Hopefully this will be a good reselling point as I've put my PC up for sale.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

nice PSU. very nice indead. and that willl be a very good build aswell (bar the 8500 :p)

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ofcourse we dont care. its just you waffling on again, with your money making scams :p :D

how much did you buy it all for, and what u want to sell it for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.