1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Greg: Actually that's not a rouse, it's fact. Getting a PCI card to process sound can significantly improve your CPU's performance in games. If your frame rate is being limited by your CPU, not your graphics card, you can see up to a 25% performance boost by using an X-Fi card. Othe than that though, they're not worth bothering with. With a decent Core 2 Duo, you really don't need an X-Fi, an Audigy SE will do.
    As for speakers, Logitech Z-5300s maybe? Depends what your budget is. The 5500s are great, but quite expensive (even though they're still good value for money despite this)
    Good choice on the PSU Pepp, but man, get rid of that awful graphics card!

Interestingly enough, onboard 6150SE graphics can render almost all HD films fine in Linux. It's only waffy windows drivers and codecs that see us buying expensive gear for HD material. A 2400 Pro would do fine under normal circumstances...

2. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Interesting 3870 i have. I tried ocing with RivaTuner and it loves my 3870!

It made my ATI overdrive put my stock setting to 862Mhz and Frequency was in the 1300.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think I managed 1280 on my memory with overdrive on one occasion...

4. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Pepp,
    I agree on the speakers. I've looked at those X530's a few times. For less than $100 (£50) they seem like a good deal for the money. ;P I currently have a cheapy Labtec 2.1 system and they do ok for now..... If you guys had wifes (and kiddies) you'd understand why we (married men) try to get the best deals and the necessities. lol. :D

....gm

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Abuzar-Be expecting phone calls at all hours asking about the donkey show since you were nice enough to give us your number :)

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol I don't care. As long as it's late hours I don't get charged minutes!

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the dust part is only true with the flower type zalmans. I even smoke and have yet to have the need to clean my cnps9500. I do however like the thermalright ultra 120 and extreme. I will most likely go with one of those two on my next build.

as for desktop speakers, I'm a diehard klispch fanboy.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're cheap because they're crap. Trust me.
    These are supposed to be pretty good
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=695483

Mort: Didn't realise that, I'm sure someone here had me that the dust got stuck in the tunnel type coolers too, can't remember who. Either way, a Thermalright is a big leap up from a Zalman.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao
    thats the sole reason i dont need a $380-$500 GPU. maybe in about 4-6 years when the boys are older and playing these HiRes games then i will have to build them one for those reasons...lol

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Rarely do I ever disagree with you, but here in San Bernardino, the dust and dirt situation is so bad that the 9500 had to be cleaned every 3-4 weeks, and it's a PITA to do because the fan is in the way and is difficult to remove. It seems to start in the inside of all the little "Vs" and grows outward like a carpet. If I leave it long enough to where it starts to get too warm, you can pick it out with a toothpick in big pieces! The AF7-Pro is a snap to clean. Pop off the fan, give it a quick dusting with a toothbrush and blow a little air through it and you're done for the next 6 months!

That situation may soon change here though, as we've had more rain so far this year than in all of the past 4 years! It's usually so damn dry! It's frustrating as it rains all around us within just a few miles and we rarely get any! We laughingly call this the Dust Bowl of california! You can sit out front and watch all the storms around us in all directions, watch the lightning and hear the thunder, but we get nothing! Riverside, Big Bear, Cahoon Pass all get pounded and we get nothing but a light show! The clouds dump all their rain going over the hills and mountains before it ever gets to us and then drop down to our elevation and no rain! LOL!!

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Does anyone else find the sidebar on the left annoying?

You know I don't spending money on flashy cases. It pleases idiots who buy computers though lol. It even pleases me, but I'd rather spend that money on better parts and get a modest case.

Don't you guys agree?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends. I'm happy to spend money on a good case, but on the basis that I'm going to be using it far longer than any of the individual components in it. For you that's not usually the case is it?
    As for the side bar, yeah it really ticks me off, at least you can minimise it.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yep it's annoying to say the least. lol. I tried blocking it but that was a bad idea if you like the little "menu" boxes when you compose a message. lol. :p

@sammy,
    Which set of speakers were you calling "CRAP"?? I'm guessing the X530's?? Will they not play at a normal level? Anyway just curious.....

....gm

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nono, the X-530s are alright for most purposes, it was a very cheap 2.1 set he picked out that I labelled accordingly.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.