1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok im confused now. you just said the PSU in your server is on the bottom. and your server sits on the carpet.so wouldnt that mean your PSU is on the carpet?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Hmm! Let me think! You had one go up in a blaze of glory, and my old landlords PS, Stock!, almost burned down the house! Yup, that's scary! LOL!!

Russ

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It was a Ultra unit that did that? I thought it was A-open or something like that.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's the exact message that comes up. I went into the "boot menu" and into the BIOS and made sure the first boot device was the HDD. Also there are NO SATA drives in the computer, it's all IDE. hhhmmmmmm......

.....gm

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You're missing the point. Both Sam's and My PSUs were poorly designed and made with cheap components, just like the one in the link! It's like, "Hello! Is there anybody out there. It's a Warning! Here, you've got a higher end PSU that's poorly designed and cheaply made. It will Fail under heavy loads, just like the cheap ones! maybe not right away, but "It" will fail! All the link shows is that particular model, so hopefully they didn't make yours! Trust me when I say, "Power supply failures under load can be truly Spectacular and very entertaining. Thick smoke pouring out the back, and there's this noise! Sparks and flames dance inside the case and make the case vents look pretty cool, and shoot more sparks and flames out of the back, and set fire to the drapes in a wooden house! Worse yet, it could have happened when everyone was asleep! People need to look into what they are buying when it comes to power supplies. Don't just buy for the price! Read the reviews and learn how to weed out what I call "The Idiot Factor"! People learn, they can help others!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Put a boot disk in the CD and see if the hard drive shows in it! If this is Sata, then try another data cable and check the power plug, it can all too easily be put in backwards. It doesn't take much pressure to snap off the end of that little "L" and not know it! I did it myself once and you don't even feel it, besides I was looking at the manual and put them on the way they were in the picture. LOL!! Hey, first Sata drive It just feels snug like you would think!

I got the same message the time I changed a fan plug and then couldn't access my hard drive, while it was running! When I finally figured out what was wrong, I unplugged the drive and checked the cable ends. I plugged them back in and it's worked OK ever since!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm talking about a different Ultra PSU. I have never seen a bad review for it.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Abuzar1,
    I said it was only for that particular model they showed in the review! Usually bad PSUs like that one usually come from the lower end! This is a $100 and up, PSU! People feel confident in paying more for their PSU to insure they get something good! The one tested, is a PSU that can easily burn down your house, with you in it! I didn't know who made yours but I damn sure wanted you to check my friend! Oh yes, I did!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Man y would anybody sit there computer on the carpet..to suck in carpet fiber and other elements that the fans pull in from the outside. plus that built up your fans and motherboard and holds heat i learned my lession on that. i keep mine up high waist level dresser top plus it cut down on vacuuming it out alot..

@greensman
    hope you get it running brother it only knows what you tell it..lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

anyone a nascar fan? Dale Earnhardt? the wife just got me this for a valentines day gift.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815140/

6 disc
    cool Tin to hold them in a reproduction ticket of the 1998 daytona 500.

this will be my first backup on my new system......god i love this woman...

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

@rob and all,
    It's good to love your wife. ;)

OK got a question and gonna look on google while you guys are answering. lol. :p

question (2 fer 1 actually): Do I need to or does it hurt to have the "extra" 12v power connected for the PCI-e?? gfx card>ATi X1650XT

...gm

EDIT: Found it page 18 in mobo manual!! Also confirmed on a few different sites. ;)

NOT necessary according to the manual. Only needed when 2 cards are connected.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well let us lost soles that dont know what the answer is...lol

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

edited for everyone's benefit. lol. Oh and you too RED's man!!!

...gm

Switched ide cables on BOOT DISK problem and that didn't work. Thinking that maybe I have a bad HDD. :-(

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Try this! Re-boot the computer and go into the setup and open Integrated Peripherals. The top item should be SATA RAID/AHCI. It should be disabled! Move down to ONBOARD SATA/IDE DEVICE. It should be enabled! Finally the line after that should be ONBOARD SATA/IDE CONTROL! Set that to IDE. If the drive's any good it should be able to be booted from the boot menu F-10 or F-12, I don't remember. You can also set it in the boot menu. If the drive works and it has XP, it should boot!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks Russ I'll give that a try in a few hours.... I'm goin beddy-bye. lol.

...gm

16. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Hey Russ, Sam, everybody..

I've been pretty busy getting some actual work done now that I finally got my new box up and running, with a little (a lot) of help from you guys. This computer was supposed to be kind of a powerhouse workstation without much into higher end gaming or media stuff. A quick reminder - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 w/Tuniq Tower + AS5, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, 4gb Corsair XMS2, Corsair HX520 PSU, bunch of WD hard drives, Plextor DVD burner, Cooler Master Stacker 830 My gfx card is an ATI Radeon X1300 series 512mb, dual dvi and s-video output - thats it, not fancy in the least. No extra sound besides whats on the motherboard. Vista Ultimate 64-bit is my OS of choice.

Everything has been running great, I even managed to get the QX6600 extremely stable overclocked to 3.2 ghz , with a lot more help from the people here. Just want to say thanks for all the help, and of course I have more questions. :)

My cousin is looking to build a higher end gaming rig, I was hoping to get some recommendations for a motherboard, graphics card, and any other features that would be deemed relevant for a gaming machine like SLI.

I thought the QX6600 was still the best bang for your buck out there as far as processors. I know there's a Yorkfield out, but at those prices they don't exactly fit in the 'bang for your buck' category. Any other suggestions are of course appreciated. Ram I also figured on some Corsair XMS2 or maybe some other Corsair model if he wants to spend the $. Right now he thinks he'll be using his case and PSU from the older computer, but we'll see about that too.

I'm mostly concerned about a motherboard and graphics card. For the motherboard I was thinking about an ASUS Striker maybe? And for the gfx card, a GeForce 8800GT or GTS or GTX, I really don't know my graphics cards. It's those two parts I really need the advice on.

Thats all for now, sorry about the giant post, and thanks for all the help and suggestions.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: My case doesn't have an open bottom lol, it may only be an inch from the carpet, but a layer of metal separates it!
    As for the dust, it's not as bad as you might think. There aren't any filters in that case (not yet anyway) but it's not exactly a fleapit in there...

Hydro: Probably go for something like an 8800GT. SLi is to be avoided if you're thinking "bang for the buck"

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

hydro, what monitor are you using. that will answer the GPU question. as for mobo, a nice high end x38 will be good. wither the DQ6 or DS5, or get the Asus p5e, or the maximus mobos.

what is the older PSU?

and are you gonna be OCing?

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok everyone the tax man is here. getting ready to order my parts.
    this is what im getting from newegg

MOBO

MEM

GPU

HDD

im getting the E8400 cpu at micro center today($189)
    and CM RC-690 $19.99 after $40mir

i allready have a PSU and cooler from a good buddy.
    PSU
    cooler

oh yea and 2 red led 120mm fans

Grand total of $651.08 not bad i'd say

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm excited for you Rob!! Wish I could be there to help you thru your first REAL build. :D Don't get frustrated, it's actually pretty easy. ;) Just post if you need any help and remember RTFM!!! heheehe. j/k.... I'm sure that everyone here will/would be willing to help in any way. :D

.....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.