1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rob don't panic!! I'll do some more research but I'm pretty sure the mobo will post with the E8400 out of the box. I'm also pretty sure you will have to update the BIOS to get the full use of the E8400. I say don't worry until the time comes to make it POST. lol. Sorry but I'm giggling here.

...gm

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i went to gigabyte and found the info on the MOBO the F11 version was released on 1-4-08 and the 2.1v of the mobo was released 1-11-08
    so im hopeing i got what i need,

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2634

if im reading this right the 2.1v will have the F11 bios. and it states that if it works properly to not flash to another bios???? yes im panicing cause i dont have clue as to what im doing

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

cincyrob - Good news I have just found (taken from another forum):-

Good news - I got my board - actually I ended up getting two. The first board I was sent was the wrong one (GA-P35-DS3R rev2.1) but I plugged my E8400 into it anyway and no bios upgrade needed! - it recognized it perfectly!!

My replacement GA-P35C-DS3R rev2.0 came last night - not sure what firmware was on it, but I plugged my E8400 into that - once again, no problems recognizing the CPU at all without a bios upgrade! The only thing is that I noticed that the CPU multiplier was set to only 8 (x266) auto-detected on default settings, so my CPU was only coming up as 2.66GHz! Perhaps this is something that a bios upgrade would have corrected? In any case, I just bumped up the multiplier to 9 and it's running smoothly at the default 3GHz rate.

I'm wondering if I should still go ahead with a bios update? - everything seems to be running smoothly and I know the general mantra is not to touch things if things ain't broke, but I'm a little worried that it didn't detect my CPU at 3GHz right off the bat - who knows what other settings are 'off'... I WAS successful at doing the Cntrl-F1 function to manually set the SPD settings to my 4-4-4-12 Geil 2.1v DDR2 ram... so far so good!

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@pepp

thats good to hear...:)
    reading the bios from gigabyte they say that if it is preforming well you shouldnt flash it... im not any kinda expert at this and dont really know but if they say not to than im not...lol
    if its seeing it as the 3.0ghz now id say your ok.

ill just worry about it tuesday/wednsday when i get my stuff...im takeing off wednsday so i got all day to play with it...lol

i should have it up and running at 3.4ghz when all said and done.

rotfpimp after i RTFM.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well im on my way home to play with my new toys..lol gonna put the PSU in it maybe set the burners in ther for looks..lol.. i'll take a pic or two and post..lol

like i told ya greensman im glad i got this case. it is sweet'
    gonna look real good with the RED led fans in it

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

hey fellows just stopped in to post a link on some cool looking led fans heat sinks. you may or may not know about the link but it caught my eyes..on a search..
    http://www.xpcgear.com/vf700culed.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    With getting the Rev 2.1, there's only two total! F-10 and F-11! Tip: Go to Newegg and pick your MB, then go down to the product page and open it. Check to see that your version is showing and then click on bios. You can download them right there! Saves wasted time doing it the hard way by looking for it on GigaByte's site!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@all

I came across this Site see what it's about and found it very interesting.I wanted a little input on what ya'll thiink aboout it?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/

I ran a stress test the cpu multiplier stayed at 6.0x I dont know y?
    [​IMG]
    And the cpu-z jumped up to 8.0x but at idle it go's back down to 6.0x
    [​IMG]
    is there a reason this is happen? I just Oc'd it a little not to much..if I push it to far the system shut down and reboots to default setting..I guess there's a fail safe somewhere..lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I'm not a big fan of software control of your overclocking. It's so easy to do today, the brain dead (Too much "Gangsta Rap"), kid next door could do it! I prefer the more hands on approach! I don't usually even fool with the Hardware overclocking in the setup! It figures though, I did it with my E4300 on a 965P-DS3. I got this bright idea to set it at a decent overclock and try the OC settings in the bios along with it. The results for an E4300 at 3.2GHz, 32,000+ MIPS. Worst part is I could never come close to duplicating that again, at that speed and I stupidly didn't write down the settings because I was just fooling around. Usually when I make changes I write everything down. All I can say is it will work, it's just a matter of finding the right combination again! LOL!!

I still prefer setting everything myself, then I'm not dependent on some software to make everything run right!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I never liked software overclocking after Asus AI booster with my X2 4200+, it didn't drop the HTT multiplier, so even a tiny overclock would render the system unstable. Good job geniuses! :S

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So the Antec P182 is $59.99 After $50.00 Mail-In Rebate. I'm seriously considering getting it. In case(no pun intended) somebody else wants it too.

Promo Code:
    EMCACAJBH

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

BTW guys will a 32MB drive make much of a difference?

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Abuzer you mean the new HDD's with that cache? Not much different with seek speeds, but transferring big files from folder to folder should be quicker. Thats how it was explained to me.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i didnt mess with anything lastnight. but i got it all out right now getting ready to put the PSU in the case. also took out my LH-18A1P and put back the HP740i/b(anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade for that drive?)
    so in my HP system i have the HP740i/b and the liteon SHW-160P6S.

and soon i will have the LH-18A1P and a tsst-dvdrom drive(cd-rw/dvd drive TS-H492) once i get it all built im gonna get a 20x sata liteon.and then switch things around to where ill have a 16x,18x,and 20x liteon drives in the new build and in the HP the TSST cd-rw/dvdrom and the HP 740i/b...

well im off to do some tinkering..

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So I might consider buying it. Man a 950 dollar budget sucks! Especially since the new Q9450 is gonna be 316 dollars!

Deadrum, so how is that man cave project going?

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

We've had 60mph winds and freezing rain in my area for the last week, it tore the garage door off my other house (studio) that I rent to some bandmates so I've been fixing that place up then everything melted and theres been floods all over Ohio, didnt get us but did get family so I've helped them.
    I'm done using power tools in the cave, just have to finish the small details, then move all my equipment from from storage to the cave.
    I almost bought the 32MB drives (Seagate 7200.11?) while piecing together this build but 500GB Samsung Spinpoint were on sale at the time so I went with 2 of them instead and saved about $60 all together.

17. redice

redice Regular member

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincy,
    redice kinda beat me to it but here's some choices for you. ;) The ones that "aren't" Lite-On can be flashed to Lite-On. :D

linky for cincyrob.....

@DeadRum33,
    Sorry to hear about the weather and your tribulations dealing with it. Hope all is sorted quickly!! good luck....

....gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@redice
    havent seen you around in a long while. how ya been?
    yea i've actually looked at that one. also would like to find the LH-20A1P big bro to the 18A1P

well right now i got the PSU in 2 OD's a 100gb seagate hdd.
    got a few pics of it so far. cant wait to get the 2 fans to put in it and get power up to it all...i really like this case tools trays for OD and HDD are sweet.but i did put a couple screws in the back side of the OD. those little trays for the HDD look flimsy until you put a HDD in it nice and solid. if i keep the 100gb hdd i gotta get a pci card to add another IDE cable. bt what im wanting to do is get a external hdd case and put it in there so i can transfer stuff from 1 puter to the other via USB....

dang im talking like i might know something...lmao!!!!!
    just looked at newegg checking my status. stage 5 been shipped and is actually on itsway to columbus OHIO about 2 hours from me. its on schedule to be here tuesday....YAAAAAA

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

You guys may know that Thermaltake ToughPower 700w has a 120mm fan, and it's facing down when installed on a case, BUT for antec 900 case the psu is at the bottom, so can you turn the powersupply around and face up? Will it work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.