1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Look one big quote lol. It first I thought it would screw in where the heatsink connects to the motherboard, but that can't be it right?

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ I only supplied that page to give them an idea of the possibilities on chipset coolers. On my next post I directly link them to Enzotech coolers and even added the Antec fan you linked too. ;) I fully understand that most of those coolers are "questionable" at best but the Enzotech "seem" like great coolers for the money. :D

One reason I chose the "heat sinks" that I did is because of the "restrictions" from his mobo. That particular ASUS mobo limits the southbridge possibilities but it does look like the northbridge cooler I chose should work just fine.

As I stated in the other post I think he should first try removing, cleaning, and re-applying a GOOD thermal paste to his present cooling apparatus. I hope this clarifies some of the things I was getting at. :)

@boozer,
    Russ is right that cooler is "suspect" at best. ;) If Russ doesn't supply US with some pics then I can do my best too. I've added a chipest fan to my DS3P mobo and it seems to have helped a few degrees.

....gm

4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

IIRC, there are two holes on the heatsink, so I am guessing that's where it would go.

5. herrick

herrick Regular member

@greensman how can I use a northbridge cooler when the pipe seems to connect across the mb. This is the problem the sound card sits over the heatsink.

[​IMG]

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

OK! Stop the yelling. LOL!! Look here!

[​IMG]

See those 2 black dots on the right side of the heatsink? That's where the two screws go for a 40mm fan! Right in between the fins! The fan slightly favors away from the CPU!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick,
    I think that's the southbridge. ;) Can you use another PCI slot for the sound card? That would help matters tremendously.

Did you guys "alter" the heatpipe at all? You know different thermal paste.

You will have to get separate heatsinks for each of the bridges and mosfet chips. I'm not saying this will cure your problems but it seems like an issue with your setup for some reason. That's why I asked about the power settings before. :D

I know we can figure this out but the entire "village" is gonna have to help with this one. :p

...gm

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you can mount a 40 x 40mm fan to most heatsinks simply by finding screws that will screw down into the slots between the heatsink fins. you'll just need to play around with an assortment of screw types and lengths. I used #6 machine screws on my northbridge heatsink and #4 wood screws on my southbridge heatsink to mount the fans.

I used the existing oem heatsinks but I did remove them and reseat them with AS5.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  9. herrick

herrick Regular member

Greensmen- heres another pic...as you can see there is very little room with this sound card...You think I can still water cool the brigde...I could move sound card to bottom PCI slolt but then it interferes with fan on Vid card.

[​IMG]

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

I will look into this in a bit...Jones has to go and I have some home work to finish...Thanks for all the help and no I have not messed with any setting [suggestions please] or the heat pipe yet- been at it all day- yesterday and most of today going to take a break and get some other stuff done- keep the suggestion coming and when Jones gets back we'll try again...its this case, never had any issues before in my smaller cases...the big vent at the top I beleive changes the preasure in the case and Im not moving the air as good as in a smaller...going to put some hard thought in water cooling, this case is set up for it,,,going to have to try moving sound card but it gets in the way of the vid. fan

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm gonna take a stab at this again. lol. From a different angle tho. :D

On your fan setup... how do you have it routed? If it were me I would look at this setup and see how it works...

Front fan = intake
    Side fan = intake (is there a switch that indicates in/out?)
    both Rear fans = exhaust
    Top fan = exhaust

I think that configuration (if you don't already have it) will support the MOST airflow in your case. (no pun intended....hehehe)

GOOD LUCK buddy....... i know this has about driven you to drinking....lol. :p

....gm

ADD: I got my little Micro-ATX going today. LOL. Remember the 80GB HDD, well it's not "working" properly!! I stuck that OLD IBM Deskstar in and it works great. lol. I even installed Debian-linux just for poo-poo's and ha-ha's!! ;)

question: That 80GB seems ok when used as slave, would it be ok to use it that way or just toss it?? tia.......

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

the air flow you suggested is the way I have it set up...going to down load some more pics for you in my shout page or where ever you add them...the ones we put in the thread are really big, going to have to pay around with it...

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick,
    Just change it to a link instead of an image.

...gm

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ greensmen or all

Go to my images... in my profile page- check out the pics and see if you can get something out of it that might help...when you water cool does it water cool the bridges? my temps are CPU 45c [just reseated it(yes artic 5) so it will take a couple hundres hrs? but the mobo is 52c...I could lower it by opening my intake fan in my room but it will be very cold in here ah,ah, I dont mind but everyone else it kills ROTFL everything is new, mobo, cards, PSU went from 580 hiper to cooler master 850... everything else is a little over a year or so...have NEVER ran it to its protentail...ever sense going to this case heat problems,,, I really want to see how farcry looks with these cards and Doom,,,nothing like killen some demons to help me sleep at night...old games and have really never been a gamer...and why? cant get my heat down to play...I shall cry now...not a good picture for a man to cry and be 6' 330+ lbs ROTFL

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

herrick,
    I would try making the side fan blow out! Just 4 screws to find out if it's better or not. Just flip it pver and screw it down! Create some negative pressure in the case which will draw cooler air in through the case vents! Worth a try!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Yo sammyboy, i think im wanting to watercool for noise levels and such. Do you by anychance know of any decent watercooling kits for my quad, 3870 that will require minimal DIY and fit in my NZXT LEXA?

17. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ theonejrs

Hmmm... will give it a try- tomorrow...I was going to rmove the black mesh behind the vents in front fan...see pics in my profile and youll get a better understanding what Im taking about and the case I have unless you know my case...the front fan takes up 3 bays and have with vents but has that black mesh behind it????

even then- I dont see that lowering my temps by 20+ degrees as I want...water cooling--- is there a system that will cool all the areas I need...[north and south and chip set and CPU and well anything else with my SET UP?]I am very upset with this build...I like the case because I do alot of projects at work where I need multable burners...I want to add one more burner to save time on making learning disks from my classes and well for what I have paid and got in this machine---it should be at least a mid. gamer and do what I want w/ out over heating PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

got a question here. ive been reading the pdf manual for my mobo. it has 6 sata and 2 Esata hookups.it comes with 2 esata connection for the back of the board. the case has a esata on top. can you use the regular sata plugin for the esata. i got 3 esata and only 2 connection.... will the reg sata work?

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Guys something horrible happened! I took apart my computer and when I started to try to get the Heatsink off my northbridge I accidentally scratched some tiny motherboard wires! Damn I hope it works!

I'll put it back together tomorrow after I get home from School.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Yes, but why would you want that many E-Satas? I would stick either with what came with the motherboard or the one on the case and not both! The 6 orange looking Sata ports are the intels and the two purple ones the custom Gigabyte controller ones by Realtec. They'll all work! If you hook them all up and need one in the future, just loose the case hookup and you'll still have 2 on the back of the computer!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.