1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

those are called traces & i used to repair them when i worked at celestica working on cisco & sun microsystems boards & other ones. use a magnifying glass if have 1 to see if cut thru or not as most likely just scratched it.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

water cooling is a pretty big leap and why most don't mess with it. water and electricity don't mix so you've got to be very careful and keep an eye out for leaks.

you can buy kits for particular cpu's but you will need to buy the water blocks seperately for the NB, SB and GPU in most cases.

most ppl buy all the water cooling components seperately as they tend to be better. BigDK is the person to ask here in regards to water cooling.

BTW I don't know what all you have done. your cpu temp isn't all that bad, after all we're talking AMD dual core not Intel C2D. have you performed the mod (reseated with AS5) to your NB and SB heatsinks?

3. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ Mort81

On this Mobo No I have not done the Mods [artic 5] BUT I did on the last MOBO I had... which is the same as what I have now and there was little differance...got this board from greensmen to replace the same board I had already

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oh crap don't blame me. :p I was just the delivery boy. ;)

herrick i'm sure we'll get this figured out, i have no doubts.

....gm

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

I reaseated the NB ad SB heatsinks first with as5 which lowered my mobo temp about 5 - 6 defrees C. I then mounted a 40 x 40 x 20mm fan on both the heatsinks which lowered the mobo temo about another 5 - 6 degrees C.

my mobo temp was between 46 and 47 C when I first got it but it is now running between 34 and 36 C. I have the chipset fans on high now but I am going to slow them down using the speed settings in my bios. one hooks up to a fan header on my mobo and the other hooks up to an auxilery header on my mobo. both use the small 3 wire plugs and I can adjust the fan speed for both in the bios. hope that makes sense. I took an ambien to help me sleep and I'm a little groggy now.

6. Random5

Random5 Member

Hello again everyone, well I built that PC I ordered here it is....
    It all worked out perfectly, put it together in 4 hours, had some problem with drivers but it all gravy now. Its a monster, running COD4 at full settings with a sky high frame rate. Bloody SWEET. Haven't overclocked yet, I won't need to for a while I'd imagine. Thanks for everyone's help when i was putting the order together.

Core duo E8400 3.0 Ghz

Gigabyte GA P35C DS3R motherboard.

OCZ tech stealthXstream 600W power supply.

Coolmaster elite 330 case.

Samsung 320Gb Hard disk.

OCZ tech 2x2Gb ddr2 Gold

Lite on 20XDVDRW,

Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTS 512MB DDR3. (I ordered and payed for the 8800GT but they sent me this one. Happy days.)

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Random5 - where are you based? If UK where did you get the 8400 from. Nice build by the way.

8. Random5

Random5 Member

Ireland, I was trying to order the lot through Dabs.ie, which is really Dabs.co.uk with euro prices. They couldn't get their hands on a E8400, I was waiting about a week, and they couldn't give me a date. So I said Fup it, canceled the processor on the order, told them to send the rest and went looking for the CPU elsewhere. I found it on tekheads, checked in the morning, noone had one, including tekheads, checked again after lunch and they must have just got the order in. They had 10, by the time I had filled out the order they had 5, I checked the dispatch status that evening and they were sold out. They are going like hot cakes. No suprise, there isn't many about at the mo and they are fantastic value for money. A lot of bang for your buck. Best thing to do is just keep checking and hope you get lucky. Good luck.

9. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Scan should have some in tomorrow according to their website, so Ill see if they do come in and whether I can get one, otherwise Ill probably just go for 8200 (same price as 6750 but with more L2 cache).

10. Random5

Random5 Member

Yeah, you'll overclock that to 3G easy anyway. (although you'll overclock the E8400 to 3.6ish with no real bother too...)

11. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ Greensmen

LOL. no worries bro- has nothing to do with you... ROTFL

12. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Just paid for my E8400 from Ebuyer. Only £112.85 (£6 less than the E6750) :)

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

DDP, thanks I'll check up on that. In fact messed up traces was the reason I screwed up my original xbox. Man I hope it works, otherwise I'll have to wait like a month to get it repaired.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You more than likely just scratched the lacquer off the top of the trace. If it is broken you should be able to repair it with a little solder and a low wattage pencil soldering iron. It's easy!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Damn it my PC doesn't power on! I'll include pics of the motherboard in a bit.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Does "fubar" mean anything to you??? ;) Hope you get it worked out boozer. Will the EGG cover that sorta stuff or send it back to Gigabyte? Good luck buddy...

.....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

FUBAR!!!!

got any wild turkey? that will get ya to FUBAR.....lmao
    i know its no laughing matter boozer. sorry buddy. hope you get it worked out.

how'd that Dr appt go Mr Green around the gills????lol

sould have my stuff tomorrow morning to midafternoon....i hope. just bought some AS5..even at 20% of thats to much for that little amount...lol($8.51)

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thank god I got it working! I have no idea what the hell I did but it's working now! I also cleaned up my wires a bit.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

good job m8 now stay clear of that bad boy with sharp objects...lol

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Man I was so scared I screwed some shit up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.