1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm on board with the DS3 mobos, I'd go as far as to get the DS3R for a little future proofing. I little more features than the DS3L if you ask me. jm2c...

ABOUT Rob!! Just listened to him (yep by phone) and he has it up and running. Had a "naff" monitor. lol. That's such a funny expression to me sammy. ;) I couldn't believe it either. ;) Just happens sometimes.

Im sure he'll post something soon. :D

.....gm

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Guess I eat my words then! lol
    I can only assume the phrase "naff" never occurs in american society?
    It doesn't mean broken, it means generally a bit poor, sub-standard...

3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why doesn't anyone call me? :(

lol

Sam, you don't hear "naff" much here in America.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, so it seems. I generally use the term as the second bullet point, though sometimes the first.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

so the monitor was bad. that's rare. is it a new or an old one he had laying around? had he ever used it before? does it have both AGP and DVI interface and this was the first time he tried the DVI interface? I'm just curious of the circumstances.

I've built new pc's and had no signal to the monitor a couple times. once I didn't have my GPU seated good and the other time it was a defective brand new CPU (P4 3.4ghz).

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Only time I had that happen to me was when my motherboard was fried. Seems that it can be many things. It was the first time I had built a PC and I freaked out so much lol.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys. sorry for takeing so long in gettin gback with you all.

yes it was the monitor that was bad. i hooked it up to my flat panel monitor im on now and it worked fine.i then hooked the old monitor up to this computer and it still didnt work.
    so i just got back from a thrift store and got a old NEC 15 inch CRT monitor and its working great. its up and running right now.

i installed win xp pro corp edition
    then put in the gigabyte driver CD installed them
    then put in the GPU driver CD installed them. no problems

as for me worrying about the mobo working with the CPU, well i got the 2.1 version pluged in the cpu and it fired right up.
    looked in the device manager and it shows me haveing the E8400 @3.0ghz.2gbs mem ect...

i did have to uninstall the thermaltake fan on the side panel. it sounded like a helacopter...lol so i know have 2 exhaust fans and 1 intake..i did just go into the bios and looked at temps the tower temp was 32c and the CPU temp was 22c it has been running(on) for about 30 mins now.

so from here what do i need to do? other than install my programs that i want in it.

thanks for all your guys help.
    i cant think to straight right now so much going on with this.what are some programs i need to put on it. cpu z ect....i will need to DL them then save to a disc and install from disc. as i dont have it online yet

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You need:

Firefox
    Adblock Plus for Firefox
    CCleaner
    Everest
    Klite Codec Package
    Bitcomet

Just some basic stuff.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

/me could think of lots more to add to that list but this may be the inappropriate place. :p

.....gm

@rob,
    OK, where's the pics of that RED LED filled case?? :p Hope all is good with your build so far. :) If you have a small jump drive you can transfer your progies that way too. ;) Much easier me thinks... :D

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i dont have the red led's yet.
    its been runing for a few hours now. no problems so far.
    i did burn my first dvd on it once i get nero cd/dvd speed on it i will post a scan of it...

what should my temps be on it?
    the CPU is 20-22c
    case is 37-40c
    is that high? average?low?

yea i need to get one of them jump drives im bunring to a cd now transfering stuff.

the bios i have is F9. it says i need F11 for the E8400.should i flash it to F11 or leave it.seeing it says if im not haveing any problems dont mess with the flash. i know it hasnt run long enough to really do anything yet.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dude where did everone go? i need help..lol

first of all where did my last post go?
    i posted from the new build. i had it online and posted from it.
    i asked about IE7. with the win xp pro corp edition i have it has IE7 on it. i was able to get online once. now it trys and cant connect. so i DL'd IE6 and tried to install it on the new build but it wont let me go over IR7 with IE6. and i cant figure how to get rid of IE7 so i can install IE6.

gonna DL firefox to a disc and install it on the new build and then try and get back on with firefox.

i had the HDD led plug on the front panel header on backwards the led wasnt working. switched them around and now it workd fine...whats cool the HDD led is red when it is flashing... i gotta get them red led fans

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

FireFox is a must have!!! Forget IE6 or IE7..... You should be able to install FireFox w/o any problems and then choose it for your "preferred" NET roving experience. ;)

...gm

btw you will NOT be able to install over EI7 with EI6... it is integrated into your install disc if I remember right so no hope there..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

gonna install FF now on the new build

got any idea bout my temps? or bios

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

If it were me I would consider a BIOS update but that's me. I like to have the latest and greatest when it comes to f/w and bios. ;) You can always flash back if you have to. I used the "auto-updater" with my BIOS the first time and it seemed to work just fine. I don't have much experience with it so you might do a little research or wait for another "more" experience flasher. hehehe.

Temps look good for stock chipset coolers and the core temps look GREAT!!!! Are they still running around the mid-20's??

....gm

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

funny you asked about the temps..lol just checked them before i turned it off to hook it up to the net again(no its not yet)
    case temp=41c
    CPU temp=21c

gonna swap out puters now to see if i can get online

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@robo

remember..dont dl nothing yet until you get a virus protector on there first brother avg or another dont 4 get convertX2Dvd..lol..watch how that works from an hour to 25mins.that's what i'm clocking..and make sure you don't have alot programs running in the back ground also that you don't need running msconfig..you know the deal..I may bring mine into work to get the air treatment blow out.I took the vacuum to it this morning..lol little built up on the fans..I'm heading home brother see ya you in a few hours..

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

online with the big red machine(oh hell im changeing the name of my computer) lol
    yup firefox did the trick
    i gotta get IE7 off here some how????
    gonna go to gigabyte and get the F11 bios

oh AVG was the first thing i put on here...lol

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ain't gonna happen if it's embedded in the install disc. NOT that I know of at least. Don't worry about it. Just set FF to "default" browser and you should be just fine. ;) Believe it or not some progies (Kasperkey if I remember right) will NOT run w/o IE, it's BS but that's the way it is. ;)

...gm

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i dont know greens..theres always a way around something..just dont keep your eyes closed..lol
    @robo
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
    give it a try it may work or may noy never hurt to try..it's up to you ..

edit just got home.ha ha

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.