1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Theres an F11? I just flashed to F9 a few weeks ago and I feel like my BIOS has been a little screwy ever since. Once in awhile it just decides to clear my overclocking settings even though they are completely stable. I cleared the CMOS using the menu in the BIOS but I think I may have to clear the CMOS through the motherboard instead of through software.

Some people say to always update the BIOS to make sure everything is 100% up to date, normally I agree with that philosophy with upgrading unless there are known issues; but then others, including Gigabyte, say only to update the BIOS if your system is having some kind of problem that makes it necessary.

After all the annoyance I think I'm starting to lean the other way, haha.

2. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

hydro x86,
    It's always a good idea to completely clear the bios after flashing it! Just pop the battery out of the MB and shut down the power supply. About 5-10 minutes. It'll boot up spanking fresh defaults, with all traces of the previous settings erased!
    I guess it's not compatible with the P4 and Celerons. I wasn't really thinking of a P4 when I bought my first C2D and this motherboard! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah thoses Temps are fine Rob

and YES an AV program is the first thing you need to get on there

let us know how you like it in a coule days I'm going with the E8400 myself soon with 4 gigs of ram and a new Asus mobo

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Which ASUS mobo are you looking at ZoSo?? Are you gonna do any OC'ing? Just curious with some of the stuff I've been reading lately. BigDK in the OC'ing thread is pretty informed with cpu's and mobo's. ;)

...gm

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, me and Russ have both also used Thermaltake Thunderblade fans, and we both agree they're pretty horrendous.
    As for the programs, what are you using the PC for?
    Temps seem fine, but reversed. Do you have a case temperature sensor? Typically PCs don't, so that's reading something else. Motherboard chipset perhaps?
    As for where everybody went, the afterdawn servers have been up and down periodically for me over the last couple of days, plus living in britain I have slightly different bedtimes to you guys!
    Unfortunately you won't be able to get rid of ie7 satisfactorily, forget it and use firefox, ie7 is junk, I'm using it now and dislike it!

On the BIOS front, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" You can potentially create far more problems than you solve with BIOS updates. Maybe Gigabyte's are worth bothering with unlike those from Asus, but even so, unless you encounter a problem, I wouldn't worry about it!

Pepp: Presumably some but not all, hence the vague description!

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well im on the big red machine right now...lol
    fired right up this morning no problems.
    i went to that microsoft site about the IE7 i don't have the spuninst.exe on here??? and i cant do it from add/remove programs..

thats just it i don't want IE7 i want IE6.
    i cant get to microsofts update site without IE wont let me with firefox.

@zoso
    seems to be pretty sweet right now. i haven't really done much to push it but i will...lol

think i will leave the bios the way it is right now.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

tbh I think you're going to have to forget about using ie6 unless you reformat and install an older version of windows. I'm well aware ie6 is somewhat more friendly than ie7, but you'll have to "live with" firefox by the looks of things, which in all honesty is better than either.

10. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Duh, I should have looked there before I started questioning everybody. Thanks for the heads up Pepp, it looks like the board supports quite a few P4s, one of the compatible chips I'm sure I have, the 3.4ghz Prescott core. I need to get a new cooler for that bad boy though, its gotta be the hottest running processor I've ever owned, killing all other components in its steaming path.

and Cincyrob, you can't be on a computer enthusiast forum and want to install and use IE6! It's like an oxymoron or something. Haha im jk, but Firefox 2 is undoubtedly the way to go!

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well, I'll be. Where did you hear that first?? :p

and btw I'm open minded Will but knew the outcome of that scenario. ;)

....gm

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just havent used FF that much and IE6 i can get around it like no other..lol. old habits are hard to break...
    plus im kinda anal bout haven something and it not working right.if i have it i want it to preform for me...
    besides how can i get to microsoft downloads if FF isnt compatable ?

man im useing this 1989 compaq mouse and keyboard..this sucks!!!! mouse dont even have a scroll wheel.....

yea i know there cheap i just havent gone out and got new yet..

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree with you on the something not working front, but because of how integral ie is to windows, if it doesn't work, chances are that's tough luck and you'll have to live with it. I do prefer having both Firefox and ie though, because there are some sites that only work in ie, and some that only work in firefox.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

when i've been giving my temps i kept saying case...???? should have been mobo.DUH heres my sign...lol

mobo=39c
    cpu=21c
    cpu core 1=42c
    cpu core 2=42c
    segate hdd=30c

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Temps look fine. What are they like after running OCCT or Orthos for half an hour or so?

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

17. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I don't believe you can, at least, I have never been able to download without IE. Also, as Sam mentioned, some sites do not work with FF.

The only good way to get rid of IE7, is like Sam said, re-install XP, and then do not allow MS to upgrade to IE7, which means you must monitor the updates, but once you see IE7 in the stream, then you can tell MS to never install it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Suffice to say it's been a fair while since I've updated windows...

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Somewhat better looking than your old system I daresay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.