1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Floppy/card reader combo ?

if you need one that is

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

As far as I can Tell...Power Supply is not compatible with the other parts...not enough spec's listed on site to fully determine...

Let me tell you...I would not trust a $12 power supply...

Horrible MB...you can do a lot better...from what I have seen so far...

Memory?..I would need a direct link to the product on that site...If it is not a highly rated memory I would not buy...

I am not familiar with either site...and...I do not know if I would trust them...lots of shady stuff out there...

My Suggestion...Buy Only Quality Parts...From Reputable Dealers...

3. accordlx

accordlx Member

not needed

4. accordlx

accordlx Member

How much should I spend on a power supply? What MB would you suggest? I am new at this so I appreciate any help

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I would be very Leary of either of those sites...they do not show good pictures...or...list the important specifications...my suggestion...stay away...

Is that $900 a hard price...like I asked earlier...before or after rebates...

What Greensman listed...is a lot better...then what you had listed...I might make a few little changes...but not much...

Bottom line is...What can you afford?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  6. accordlx

accordlx Member

yeah $900 is all I can do right now. before rebate. money is so skim right now in order to spend any more I'd have to wait a few months.

7. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ Lp531

Have not heard from the following

newegg
    svc
    FrozonCPU
    xoxide

Any other places you might know where to get my Thermaltake Aromor side panel w/ fan?

Or any others that might have a lead for me?
    thanks...

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@accordlx

HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V – Retail $99.99 $10 Rebate $10.84 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817128002

OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory – Retail $96.99 $10 Rebate $4.99 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227126

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard – Retail $149.99 $10 Rebate $6.41 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131142

Enermax ECA3052-B Chakra Mid Tower Case (Black) Retail Free Shipping $79.99
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270413

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe Processor 1.86GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 2MB Cache Retail Free Shipping $184.90
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80858

EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail $109.99 $20 Rebate $5.64 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM $79.99 Free Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

LITE-ON 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner included extra White bezel – Retail $33.99 Free Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106050

Total with tax and shipping:$873.71
    Rebates $50.00
    Grand Total after rebates $823.71

This does not include OS...Go with XP32...Not 64...Not enough support for 64...

This does not include monitor...If you do not have a monitor...go pick-up cheap local used...till rebates come back...and you have a little more cash...then pick-up monitor you really want...monitor is easiest thing to upgrade...

If I was to upgrade any one item it would be the Video Card...It would make the most difference...

These are two quality retailers...and top quality components...you do not have to worry about these sites reputations...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Excellent choices and suggestions. I personally have the hiper psu and really like the modular cabling. If you plan on major OC, the E4300 cpu will most likely OC more due to lower fsb. Both good choices and capable of good OC's.

Don't know what the case is made of but after getting the aluminum cooler master mystique case, I will never own another case made out of anything but aluminum. I used to use antec but no more.

If planning on OC'ing I recommend an aftermarket performance hsf. One of the most popular is the zalman CNPS9500. They also make a CNPS9700 (better, but make sure you have adequate room) and CNPS7700 and CNPS7000 (not as good but better than oem). Some like artic freezer hsf's. Just my 2 cents.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@accordlx
    well the only thing i could add to this is the burner... myself i wouldnt go with the 20x liteon.. been to many bad things said about th 20x drives... go with the 18x liteon. more and more people here are getting this one.. few $ cheaper and no shipping right now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106043

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i gotta say. LP531, mort81,greensman, aabbccdd, and those i forgot to mention,,, you all rock you guys make a computer dummy like myself and im sure others, just wanna go out and make build after builds. you make it sound so easy.... and have the right answers the way people can understand them....yes im patt'in ya all on the back, kissin azz however ya wanna say it.. you guys are the best...every time i look in the paper and see the store built systems with everything i want in a copmuter i want to just buy one, but then i come back here and listen to your advise make me say heck with that, im doing a build..i figure for myself im gonna have to do it like the johnny cash song (1 piece at a time)

tell me what you think about this mobo... looks like it has everything you(i) need. and pretty cheap.
    http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=250284

heres a PSU ive been looking at.
    http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0228929

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

@cincyrob,
    Please don't group me with the other three you mentioned. I have very limited knowledge/experience on computers, but I'm learning. :) The people you mentioned are my mentors and I have the doc at my disposal too but I don't pull that card very often. LOL. I completely agree with Mort81 on this one, as I've said before he knows his stuff. :) Now as far as a psu, I don't know the brand you are looking at but there are better ones available for about the same money I think. If you can spend a little more you may get a more reliable psu.

Antec SmartPower $39.99 w/ MIR
    Antec True Power $69.99
    KingWin $68.99
    I don't know much about the KingWin's but it's relatively cheap and has good reviews. :)
    There are others out there cincyrob but you may have to do a little looking or get some advice from the gurus on your list. :)

accordlx,
    I'm with cincyrob on the burner, the 20X Litey's have been getting poor reviews and therefore I'd stay away for now. I personally have the 18X LH-18A1P and love it. Rips like a champ and produces some quality burns. :)

I picked the Muskin because it was good quality and cheap but if Lp531 and Mort81 like the HIPER, by all means go with it. As Mort81 said he has it and likes it. Enough for me to buy one. :)

Also remember these are suggestions and not hard commands. lol. You will do what you think is best and therefore it's all on you. Even if you decide to buy exactly what we (they) recommend please don't hold it against us if it doesn't perform or work perfectly, sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you planned it. lol. Case in point, I purchased a mobo/cpu combo and thought all was ok with both. Well it wasn't but the items seemed to work ok on the surface. It turns out the mobo was defective but worked to some extent. I noticed after some movie editing the picture quality was off and started the hunt to find the problem. The only reason I found it was with the patience of my new found friends and their expertise/knowledge with computers and building them.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it works out. :)

....gm

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im going over to microcenter today on my way to work. im gonna go look there and check that board out better. see what type of mem i can go with on it.

greensman, you are a great help with this stuff weather you beleive it or not...

i have $180 i can use right now. that mobo is on sale for 115 buck, so the rest im gonna use for a PSU right now.. then when i can the next thing im gonna get is the CPU. gonna save some and go ahead and get the E6400

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincyrob,
    Thanks for the kind words, undeserved at this point of my AD membership but I'll take them none the less. :)

Please consider this psu unless one of the other guys has something to say about the subject. lol.

Antec smartpower 2.0

cincyrob there is also a couple more psu's at MicroCenter to consider. I just don't know about the brand XION sooooo I'm leary of them. ;-)

Mort81,
    Do you know anything about the psu cincyrob is looking at? the XION; XON-500F8X2-201..... link to xion

....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im not dead set on anything yet till i cant get in there and look at that MOBO, and the psu. i just chose that one seeing its a 500w and the report on it looked pretty good

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincyrob,
    Here is some more psu's to look at. :) You on sensory overload yet?? ;-)

Antec at Compusa

Ultra X-finity at TD

Shoot I found this too. You might wait for your next paycheck. LOL.
    Antec case and psu

Anyway here's some things to look at. Good luck and happy hunting. ;-)

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@cincyrob
    The only reason I went with the Liteon 20 was retail box...I have had to many problems with OEM drives...I prefer retail on optical drives...I have not read any reviews on the 20...thanks for letting me know about problems...by the way what were the problems reported...

@greesman
    Liked the 2 antec's you picked out...both good buys...and a little cheaper...The kingwin only had 1 18amp 12volt rail...would have liked to have seen 2 at that amperage...

@Mort81
    Yes I really like my aluminum Cooler Master case...The Enermax is a nice case...great cooling...however it is not aluminum...his budget is $900 and under...With no wiggle room...

20. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ Lp531

Thanks for the input but both of those placses are sold out!

Thanks again for your effert...But if you or anyone else can give me leads on places to go Ill do the seaarching... No need for you to do my work for me...Im just running out of placess to go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.