1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Turn off EIST and C1E in the setup and then you will be running full speed all the time. I used to use it with the 965P, but I don't like the way it works in the DS3R. It doesn't affect temperatures, either way!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok now i dont mean to sound dumb here(but i am) how do i get into it t oturn this stuff off?

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    kinda off topic but deals with the build

im useing dvd-rebuilder right now. remember my speed on the old system?? 2.05 for speed.. how does 12.74 sound and thats not at full speed as ihavent gottenit up to where it needs to be

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rob,

reboot and keep pressing the delete button when the bios splash screen comes up.

while your in the bios, check your memory timings and voltage. with gigabyte mobos I think you'll have to press ctrl/F1 to get into advanced settings. not sure what memory you have but if it's the crucial ballistix 2 x 1gb DDR2 1066 the timings need to be 5-5-5-15 and the voltage 2.2v.

BTW if you raise the cpu freq. (buss speed) to 400 the core speed will be 3.6ghz (3600mhz). that cpu is capable of that very easily. raise it in steps, reboot and adjust the memory freq. accordingly keeping the memory freq. at or under its rated speed until you reach your desired cpu OC to keep it out of the equation. you can play with OC'ing the memory after you reach your desired cpu OC.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Sounds about right for that CPU! Makes me wish I had waited! LOL!

When you enter the setup by pressing the Del key at the post screen, when the main setup screen comes up, press control + F1 and that will give you the advanced settings!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well let me first say i wasnt able to get to in by the ctrl+f1
    but i got in and disabled the C1E and Eist.

Everest

now how do i get into it to bump up the cpu a little at a time? i know i said i was gonna wait and do this but hey i gotta know...lol

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

by raising the cpu frequency. the memory frequency will also increase as you raise the cpu frequency that is why you need to do it in steps and make sure the memory frequency doesn't go over its rated speed at least untill you achieve your desired cpu OC. you can then play with memory frequency. you may need to raise the cpu vcore a little. you really need to get into advanced settings to check the memory timings and voltage.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    However you got into the setup, you did it! When the main setup screen comes up, the one that opens first with all the menus, just press the Ctrl button and hit the F1 while holding it. The screen will blink just a little bit and then go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker for all your overclocking settings! Enable your CPU Host clock Control, and set your CPU Host control frequency to set the FSB!

If you are looking for 3.6GHz, then divide 3600 by 9 (your CPU multiplier) and set it to 400MHz! Try bumping your memory multiplier to 2.5x to start with, which should have the memory running at 1000MHz. If that all works out with Orthos or Occt, you can try raising the memory multiplier to 3.0x which should have it running at 1200MHz. Experiment around a bit. You may have to add a bit of CPU voltage, but as long as you don't exceed 1.5v, you'll be good! I always check my voltages through Everest as the actual setting, rather than what you actually set it at to begin with as it will be a couple of hundred v lower than what it's set at in the bios! Up your memory voltage till it reads 2.2v in Everest! Keep in mind that the changes will not actually show in PC Health until you re-boot and enter the setup again!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    It's not located in the Advanced settings on the GigaByte! It's located in the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) section!

cincyrob,
    When the second screen appears that shows the CPU and memory, not the one for the video, hit the delete key. When the Main Setup screen appears, hold down the Ctrl key and hit F1. Then you can get at the advanced CPU, Memory and voltage settings! Lose that software!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One of the things I dislike about the advanced BIOS in the Gigabyte is you only get the offset for memory voltage (i.e. +0.1V, +0.2V) not the actual voltage. I've no idea what voltage it is you're adding to. I presume it's 1.8.
    Mort: Agreed, when you're in the M.I.T. if you're going for a big overclock, you need to drop the memory multiplier to something reasonable, and you may need just a wee bit of a boost for the volts. Fortunately the BIOS does the sums for you so you'll see whether you've chosen the multiplier settings right.

14. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Yo sam, is it worth all the hassle of updating to ATI drivers 8.2?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well 8.1 is dump, I don't see how you could do any worse...

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, it's 1.8 that you are increasing from. I think it might say that in the Manual somewhere too. BTW 8.1 wasn't THAT bad.

Greg, Why don't you upgrade and see? 8.1 wasn't THAT bad.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My blue hyperlinks in firefox and ie are orange, and all 2D menu text in games is displayed at quarter resolution, so it's completely illegible.
    Doesn't that say it all?

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The already fixed that.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not in 8.1 they didn't, because that's what I'm using. I re-downloaded it to make sure.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whatever, just update and it will get fixed. I am using 8.1 and as you can see my links are fine.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.